Change volume scale in sequence editor? Also gain staging?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dwilliams
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Change volume scale in sequence editor? Also gain staging?

Post by dwilliams »

Is there a way to change the volume scale in the sequence editor? The default scale is the same as the full fader throw, i.e. +6 to -infinity, but realistically I'm usually editing volume levels from -12 to say -48. I'd like to be able to change the scale (ideally by track) the way you can in the meter bridge window.

Another question, if I always need my faders in the -12 to -48 range I'm I not managing my gain staging well? I try to print my tracks with a max peak of -15 and I usually have a trim plug-in on every track also to dial back the pre-fader gain.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
dwilliams

Re: Change volume scale in sequence editor? Also gain stagi

Post by dwilliams »

No one?
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

To my knowledge, there is no way to change the Volume scale in the Sequence Editor, the way you can change it in the Conductor Track (tempo), the Trim Plug-in (dB), or the Meter Bridge. I wish that all scales had the ability to zoom into the range that suits your working scale, but I don't know of any that do other than the ones I just mentioned. (possibly some I've temporarily forgotten)

In fact, I just checked the Tempo scale in the Conductor Track of the Sequence Editor. When you place your cursor over it, the cursor changes to a magnifying glass. Drag the magnifying glass over the range you want to display, and it zooms into that range... supposedly. Currently, in DP 9.02, I'm not seeing that working properly. Nothing happens. It acts like it's going to zoom, but it doesn't.

Go to the MIDI Editor, Conductor Track, and you can do this. The Tempo scale zoom is very handy, and it's something I've used as long as it's been there, and I don't remember when it first appeared, so I presume that goes back to the arrival of the MIDI Graphic Edit Window back in about 1991.

It would be nice if all scales in layers, lanes, and tracks could be zoomed that way. Maybe there are practical reasons why they did not design it that way, but it seems like it would be possible. It would be a great suggestion for MOTU.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

Wow thanks.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* DP 11.31