How to "ATTACH A MIDI CONTROLLER TO PLUG-IN PARAMETER"

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to "ATTACH A MIDI CONTROLLER TO PLUG-IN PARAMETER"

Post by Jim »

Is there a way to ATTACH A MIDI CONTROLLER TO PLUG-IN PARAMETERS (a DP9 feature) without having a MIDI device on your system?

I record in one room, and mix in another with a better chair and better set of monitors. My MIDI controllers are in the recording room, but I have none in my mixing room.

So, after I've recorded something and am mixing it, I might want to change a VI to the MX4. I want to control the MX4 Volume using CC#7 that's already in my Event List / Track, but without a MIDI keyboard attached, I can't figure out how to assign CC#7 to the Volume Control on the MX4.

If I Create a Controller Assignment with the Project Menu, I get a window with a set of options, but I don't see where I can assign CC#7 to the new Source-Target configuration.

OR, is there another method to assign CCs to the parameters in MX4?

Thanks,
Jim
supersonic

Re: How to "ATTACH A MIDI CONTROLLER TO PLUG-IN PARAMETER"

Post by supersonic »

Mini Menu of the mixing board. Attach MIDI Controller.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Jim wrote:Is there a way to ATTACH A MIDI CONTROLLER TO PLUG-IN PARAMETERS (a DP9 feature) without having a MIDI device on your system?

I record in one room, and mix in another with a better chair and better set of monitors. My MIDI controllers are in the recording room, but I have none in my mixing room.

So, after I've recorded something and am mixing it, I might want to change a VI to the MX4. I want to control the MX4 Volume using CC#7 that's already in my Event List / Track, but without a MIDI keyboard attached, I can't figure out how to assign CC#7 to the Volume Control on the MX4.

If I Create a Controller Assignment with the Project Menu, I get a window with a set of options, but I don't see where I can assign CC#7 to the new Source-Target configuration.

OR, is there another method to assign CCs to the parameters in MX4?

Thanks,
Jim
Hey Jim, cc #7 is going to affect the volume of the overall MIDI track in DP. The way I get around this is to use cc#11 instead of #7. cc11 will control the volume of most VIs from the VI itself, and not from the track volume. I don't know if there is a way to convert cc7 to cc11, but that might give you what you want.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

DP always has a built in MIDI Controller -- MIDI Keys in the Studio menu . Maybe it will do what you want. DP will accept the signal from some of the buttons in MIDI Keys as a source of controller info for plugin parameters. I don't know if it will generate the particular controller you want, but the process results in a Controller Assignment you can subsequently edit. Double click it to get a Custom Console window containing the assignment with drop down menus for most if not all of the options.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I should have seen this a few days ago!

I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to assign a MIDI controller to Cinematic Strings to switch from legato to non legato to allow a divisi.

My physical keyboard only generates a few standards.

I completely forgot (if I even knew) that MIDI Keys existed.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)