Toontracks SD 2, VEPro 5 and DP 9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Toontracks SD 2, VEPro 5 and DP 9

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

I recently purchased Toontracks SD 2 and a few extra drum extensions. It's "still in the mail". I use VSL's VEPro 5 quite often with DP 9, especially for my larger band/orchestral templets. (Works like a charm!) I am attempting to find anything with regards to compatibility between SD 2 and VEPro 5 (and create new DP 9 templets). I can not find NEW information on how these two program might or might-not work well together. (There is some information on the VSL forums dating back to 2012.)

My questions basically are:
1) Are there any issues between SD 2 and VEPro5?
2) If so, what are the problems between the two?
3) What are the solutions to any existing problems?

Thank you for your time and expertise in answering my questions.

Ted
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
zuul-studios

Re: Toontracks SD 2, VEPro 5 and DP 9

Post by zuul-studios »

Follow Up

(It seems that Toontracks is not a popular item here. Yes? No?)

(Oh Well. . . . )

Been spending a little time with with Superior Drummer 2 and the few Toontrack's expansion libraries that I purchased (including their Latin Percussion expansion pack). As mentioned in my initial post, I've been using VSL's VEPro 5 to "house" the larger VI templets when using DP 9. I'm finishing up configuring a new templet, housed by VEPro 5, which includes Toontracks SD 2 and the Latin Expansion instruments. So far, so good. Preliminary testing with this templet seems stable with DP 9.

FWIW. . . I purchased SD 2 and a few expansion packs on sale. Because of the sale, I "saved" a fair amount of $$$$ than if I was to purchase the same items at normal cost. I really like that Latin Expansion pack, especially. But, I have comparable drum and percussion sounds housed in different libraries that I already own, with only a few extra latin-based "instruments" in Toontrack's Latin expansion pack, including the vibraslap which I did NOT have in any of my other libraries! LOL! What is nice about Superior Drummer is that the drum and percussion sounds that it can house seem highly configurable. But then, with some time and effort, so are most of the drum and percussion sounds that I have with Kontakt 5 (with the Native-Instrument's "Ultimate" collection). If one does not already have a large inventory of drum & percussion sounds, it seems that Toontrack's SD 2 and their expansion packs is one option of acquiring drum/percussion libraries that work well with DP 9 and, happily, VEPro 5.

The more I spend time with DP 9, the more I really appreciate this program and ITS configurability. It rocks!

Hope that this information is helpful for anyone considering on purchasing Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2 and their expansion packs.

Ted
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

How are you doing with SD2 and VEP? I have both but am kinky now beginning to crack the surface. I haven't yet work VEP at all. I have two Mac Pro's do I figure it'd come in handy once j get some time to drag my head around it.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

Henry Robinett wrote:How are you doing with SD2 and VEP? I have both but am kinky now beginning to crack the surface. I haven't yet work VEP at all. I have two Mac Pro's do I figure it'd come in handy once j get some time to drag my head around it.
I'm doing fine. I use VEPro 5 strictly to house all of the VIs which are housed on my two Apple computers (noted on my signature below). For me at least, it seems that VEPro5 does a nice job handling CPU & memory usage, especially for my larger band/orchestra templets created in DP 9. Toontrack's SD 2, and its Latin Percussion, are used in a recently created DP 9 temple (again, with VEPRo 5 housing the library). Works great!

I recently started using DP 9's Folders to help organize things. I wish that I figured out how to do this a long time ago.

For me, VEPro 5 and DP 9 is a winning combination. But, it does take a lot of time to create and organize the templets. Once created, you're all set to go on music-making.
Computer:

Software: