Project Folder do's and don'ts?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ccjones87
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Project Folder do's and don'ts?

Post by ccjones87 »

Other than the bounce folder, what parts of a project file can I remove content from without upsetting DP? My current project file is over 100 GB. My first thought is to delete unused soundbites. While effective, that would leave me with a lot of cues to sort through. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!
DP 9.5 OSX 10.10.5 Late 2011 Apple iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB memory 1333MHz DDR3
bayswater

Re: Project Folder do's and don'ts?

Post by bayswater »

Rather than do things directly to the project folder, have a look at the section in the manual on compacting a project. P52. That will let you get rid of unnecessary files.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

In this day of cheap storage, I never compact projects. If you feel you must, I'd make sure your entire project is backed up first, just to be sure something critical is not lost.
ccjones87

Post by ccjones87 »

bayswater wrote:Rather than do things directly to the project folder, have a look at the section in the manual on compacting a project. P52. That will let you get rid of unnecessary files.
Cool! I figured something so specific wouldn't be covered in the manual. DP never ceases to have some cool feature I never knew about. Will dig into that. Thank you!
HCMarkus wrote:In this day of cheap storage, I never compact projects. If you feel you must, I'd make sure your entire project is backed up first, just to be sure something critical is not lost.
Will definitely be backing up before I do anything. Your reminder is most appreciated!
DP 9.5 OSX 10.10.5 Late 2011 Apple iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB memory 1333MHz DDR3
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

It has been a long standing “fix” that when a project starts to get slow, one of the solutions is to remove unused soundbites and clear the undo history. Personally, I’d rather not ever do either, but I do to keep DP from getting slow after 1000s of un-dos build up.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc