Custom Click Help

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Justin_K
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Custom Click Help

Post by Justin_K »

Can someone help me set up a particular rhythm in my click.

I've read the manual, the MOTU tip sheet, and also the 'tips thread' here, but I can't seem to type the right sequence in.

I'm finding DP VERY un-intuitive in this regard. I deals with notation elsewhere (selecting crotchets or quavers as a click option for example)... why can't it give the same simple notation options for a custom click???

Anyway, I'm trying to achieve a 9/8 pattern as follows :

crotchet - crotchet - crotchet - dotted crotchet

or for you Americans:

quarter - quarter - quarter - dotted quarter

or, for you guitarists :)

1,2 - 1,2 - 1,2 - 123

Can anyone help?
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
2 x 3.33 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
stubbsonic

Re: Custom Click Help

Post by stubbsonic »

:lol:

I typed a "2 2 2 3" and that seemed to do it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

Thank you. I was trying to add the suggested "/4" or "/2" at the end to denote durations.

I also then neglected the spaces between the digits!

Thanks again!! :)
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
2 x 3.33 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I tried using this 'feature' about a month ago and don't think I've ever scratched my head at DP that much. I ended up building my own click from scratch from audio snippets. Not only is it convoluted but definitely seemed buggy as well. Seems like there's got to be a better way.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

In defense of the concept, this is a pretty brilliant method for a piece that might change meters frequently. This way, it is much quicker to build your click at the same time you build your conductor track (adding meter changes). It will instantly respond to changes in tempo and shifts that are made in meter after the fact. Combined with the ability to trigger a separate sample for an accent and non-accent, you can make a pretty workable click track quickly- and not have to futz with it once it is setup.

A custom made MIDI track is more versatile for a click track, but requires edits if you change meters after the fact. A custom audio track is sonically more versatile, but limits your options in other ways.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

stubbsonic wrote:In defense of the concept, this is a pretty brilliant method for a piece that might change meters frequently. This way, it is much quicker to build your click at the same time you build your conductor track (adding meter changes). It will instantly respond to changes in tempo and shifts that are made in meter after the fact. Combined with the ability to trigger a separate sample for an accent and non-accent, you can make a pretty workable click track quickly- and not have to futz with it once it is setup.

A custom made MIDI track is more versatile for a click track, but requires edits if you change meters after the fact. A custom audio track is sonically more versatile, but limits your options in other ways.
Maybe I'm just not smart enough- I mean that literally, not sarcastically!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I tend to make custom clicks with Drum Editor and Model 12. It's just as easy IMO and the "grooves" can be saved as clippings. Stubsonic does have a point about meter changes, although I don't really see that as problem.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:In defense of the concept, this is a pretty brilliant method for a piece that might change meters frequently. This way, it is much quicker to build your click at the same time you build your conductor track (adding meter changes). It will instantly respond to changes in tempo and shifts that are made in meter after the fact. Combined with the ability to trigger a separate sample for an accent and non-accent, you can make a pretty workable click track quickly- and not have to futz with it once it is setup.

Agreed. MOTU's Custom Clicks is not easy or intuitive at first, but once you figure it out, there's nothing more flexible.

One thing that could help is to read the instructions very carefully. You MUST figure out what is representing what. It's not like you probably think at first glance. Once you see how they are representing things, you'll agree that it's pretty ingenious, but it's not intuitive. If you think it's extremely intuitive, you probably aren't using it right!

I've never found it to be buggy, and I've used it a lot. The bugs always turned out to be user error. (me)

Shooshie

PS: a clue: there are infinite ways to write each click pattern, if I recall correctly.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Agreed with philbrown, I think I might be too ADD for DPs click track..
Personally I think it's an area because it's so different than other DAWs that should have it's own video tutorials. Mostly I feel like I would have to spend a day wading through it to fully understand how it deciphers things. If it can change the metronome when meter changes happen it's worth doing. I'll probably do it at some point, but grabbing a VST drum machine is too easy for most metronome things.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.