State of OMF and sharing with Pro Tools

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

State of OMF and sharing with Pro Tools

Post by Prime Mover »

I've been asked to produce a track that will be tracked in a Pro Tools studio, elsewhere. This is a band I've worked with for many years, I've tracked and produced them myself in the past, but they're in another state now, so they're having to track at a third party studio. What is the workflow like for tracking in Pro Tools and transitioning to DP8? I've never used OMF before.

I don't need anything but the basic tracks and takes, in sync. I don't expect there will be any crossfades or edits anywhere, definitely no effects.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
apanacci

Re: State of OMF and sharing with Pro Tools

Post by apanacci »

Hey Prime Mover I have found that opening an OMF file works only a few times for me in DP over the last few years. DP, 6, 7 and 8 have been the same. After awhile crash city. I then have to open in another computer with DP on it or I open in Audiodesk and save then open in DP. Good luck with that. Many threads about OMF here.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

Prime Mover wrote: I don't need anything but the basic tracks and takes, in sync. I don't expect there will be any crossfades or edits anywhere, definitely no effects.
takes is a no-go. Edits and fades can be exported, effects, for obvious reasons, can't.

if the session (i.e. sequence) is less than 2GB, you can embed your audio into the OMF file. If it's more, you have to link them separately (nothing difficult here).

The same rules apply when you want to go from PT to DP.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Lulu_German

Post by Lulu_German »

You may export the PT session as audio file from 0:00 to the end of the recorded track and bring them into DP track by track. Pretty crazy.
dix

Post by dix »

apanacci wrote:Hey Prime Mover I have found that opening an OMF file works only a few times for me in DP over the last few years. DP, 6, 7 and 8 have been the same. After awhile crash city. I then have to open in another computer with DP on it or I open in Audiodesk and save then open in DP. Good luck with that. Many threads about OMF here.
This is my experience when importing OMFs from Final Cut, but not from PT. In fact that's my fix for importing from FC. I import and subsequently export from PT. Works for me.

I mixed a 10 song project that was tracked in PT recently and just dragged all the audio into the Sequence Window a once. All the tracks appeared as separate tracks on the timeline per their timecode stamp perfectly in sync - all the takes were stacked vertically. It was simple enough to absorb them into one track. It was pretty elegant actually. That's what I'd recommend. I wouldn't bother with an OMF.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Good points. Honestly, for one track, it shouldn't be too hard to just import all the raw recordings, file by file, and put them in their correct tracks/takes. As long as I can get the PT conductor track (whatever it's called), as a MIDI. I know this song will have some tempo changes.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy