Future of M5?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Future of M5?

Post by SMS »

OK, I'm seeing references to MachFive being a lame duck- can one of you point me to a thread explaining this?

Thanks

Spence
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Tritonemusic

Re: Future of M5?

Post by Tritonemusic »

I'd start by looking in the Machfive forum. Look at threads with "Falcon" in the title.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't know how much of that is true, but MachFive is still quite capable and I don't see that much in Falcon that improves on that, at least from my perspective. Just another ass in the crowd, imo.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I don't know how much of that is true, but MachFive is still quite capable and I don't see that much in Falcon that improves on that, at least from my perspective. Just another ass in the crowd, imo.
I remember that you use the granular engine in M5 MLC. Falcon seems to have improved on that extensively. That's the main thing that interests me. Sure wish there was a demo available. ...this guy did a little demo of the new granular stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hreAo5rwR2Q
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

I played with the granular features, but have yet to use it in a production. Still waiting for a 1950's b-movie Sci-Fi scoring gig... LOL :unicorn:
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

dix wrote:Sure wish there was a demo available. ...this guy did a little demo of the new granular stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hreAo5rwR2Q
Looks a lot like the granular engine in the $30 Alchemy/MainStage package:
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Besides the new/improved granular synth, Falcon has the ability to open all UVI libraries. This includes the latest that won't open in M5. These libraries also open in the free UVI player.

M5 will open/import many file types not supported by Falcon.

There is a $170 Falcon cross-grade available to M53 owners till February 1. Till yesterday, the price had dropped to $130. I passed.
Looks a lot like the granular engine in the $30 Alchemy/MainStage package:
Look for MainStage 3 in the App Store – $29.99. Free upgrade if you've already purchase. Alchemy is also included with the latest build of Logic Pro X @ $199.99.
I played with the granular features, but have yet to use it in a production. Still waiting for a :unicorn: Sci-Fi scoring gig... LOL :unicorn:
My situation also.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Henry Robinett

Future of M5?

Post by Henry Robinett »

I just bought Falcon without the cross grade. I don't own Mach5 or anything. So unfortunately I don't have a UVI library other than what came with Falcon. But for the same price at JRR Music they threw in Digital Synsations, which is kind of what I was looking for. Those old D-50 sounds.

All the best,
http://www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
Last edited by Henry Robinett on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Watching this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5zqgQoSQcs, it seems to me MOTU doesn't have much time to announce something before the moment is lost. The limited availability of M5 compatible libraries, and the new UVI libraries that don't work in M5, really emphasizes the question. Falcon is pretty amazing and inexpensive, about the price of any expected M5 upgrade, so it's difficult to see what's lost in going with Falcon over M5.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote:Watching this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5zqgQoSQcs, it seems to me MOTU doesn't have much time to announce something before the moment is lost. The limited availability of M5 compatible libraries, and the new UVI libraries that don't work in M5, really emphasizes the question. Falcon is pretty amazing and inexpensive, about the price of any expected M5 upgrade, so it's difficult to see what's lost in going with Falcon over M5.
That was my feeling as well, but I wouldn't say over, it's quite obvious that M53 isn't going to exist in it's current form, I think the most you can hope for is some agreement with UVI on integrating it into DPX like MX4 was in DP9.

Also, Alchemy is a great synth, but it's granular engine isn't comparable to what IRCAM in Falcon does, plus using Mainstage requires IAC, soundflower etc. as it does not load as an AU.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dix

Post by dix »

Wait. I can't find anywhere that M5 is over. Is this just peanut gallery guess work, or is there info out there that provoked this speculation?
Falcon is pretty amazing and inexpensive, about the price of any expected M5 upgrade, so it's difficult to see what's lost in going with Falcon over M5.
Well, time for one thing could be lost. Falcon looks vast. Though it looks similar to M5 it's not clear from the website if all my M5 knowledge will be applicable. ...how 'bout it new Falcon users. Is it easy to make the transition?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Michael Canavan

dix wrote:Wait. I can't find anywhere that M5 is over. Is this just peanut gallery guess work, or is there info out there that provoked this speculation?
Falcon is pretty amazing and inexpensive, about the price of any expected M5 upgrade, so it's difficult to see what's lost in going with Falcon over M5.
Well, time for one thing could be lost. Falcon looks vast. Though it looks similar to M5 it's not clear from the website if all my M5 knowledge will be applicable. ...how 'bout it new Falcon users. Is it easy to make the transition?
The transition is IMO somewhere in the middle, some things are exactly the same, navigation etc. some things are slightly more complex, but also make more sense in the long run.

As far as guess work on M53 being on it's last legs, if I could name one instance where a partnership between two companies in the software music industry included the developer doing very obviously 90-100% of the code releasing a product that does everything the original product did, plus adds new features.. where that didn't mean the partnership was over I would. Like I said before, the only logical possibility is that UVI and MOTU might be embedding M54 into DPX directly, no VST or AU version. Any other possibility besides that or M53 being the last thing UVI and MOTU do together makes absolutely no sense on a business level. It's obvious that UVI own the entire code base for M53, as Falcon reads and reproduces every patch made in M53 with zero issues, including all pitch/time, FX, everything.
Just to put a nail in the coffin on this, regardless of MOTUs secrecy I think they would have announced something after the introduction of Falcon if the partnership with UVI is still active, especially with UVI offering a cross grade. Everything points the dissolving of the business relation, and UVI taking over the M53 code in Falcon. I would bet money I'm right on all this, it's IMO all blatantly obvious. I certainly wouldn't wait around for MOTU, great company, but their way of going about discontinuing a product seems to be to sell it for a few more years, then slowly let it die. :(
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

[quote="dix"] Is this just peanut gallery guess work... [quote]

Nailed it! Nobody knows except the powers that be. All else is speculation.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
dix wrote: Is this just peanut gallery guess work...
Yep. NAMM is three weeks away. Either there will be an announcement from someone on this or there won't.

The $170 cross-grade to Falcon for M53 users is good till Feb. 1, eight days after NAMM closes.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
dix wrote: Is this just peanut gallery guess work...

Speculation on the level of scientific theory, as it relates to the regular use of the word theory.

If M54 comes out it would literally break all normal rules of business partnerships, code ownership, etc.

I don't know why people are so convinced that it's possible really? Falcon is very obviously based entirely on M53 code, that obviously UVI own. Why would they allow another company to continue to lease code for essentially the same product? Why would any company choose to compete with their business partner? IMO it's plainly obvious that that partnership is over. With that in mind, how would MOTU legally release Machfive 4? The only possibility is if MOTU and UVI decided to embed future versions of MachFive. There literally aren't any other possibilities that make any sense business wise. This IMO isn't speculation, it's basic math.