Convert MIDI sequence into stereo audio track

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
daerp1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Convert MIDI sequence into stereo audio track

Post by daerp1 »

I have been looking for instructions that will allow me to take a completed MIDI sequence and bounce (?) it to a single stereo audio track (soundbite?). I can't find what i'm looking for in the DP8 manual and wonder if someone can point me in the right direction...even a manual page number will be good.
Digital Performer 10, iMac using OSX 10.14.5
stubbsonic

Re: Convert MIDI sequence into stereo audio track

Post by stubbsonic »

The overall flow is that you send each MIDI track to it's destination which will either be an internal VI or an external sound module; then you take the audio output of that source and input that to an audio track. If you have multiple audio tracks (from your VI's and external devices) you can mix those down by setting levels, pans, and adding effects.

Are your MIDI tracks playing all one device (like an external workstation/synth)? Take the audio outputs of the synth, and connect them to your audio interface (or computers audio input if that's what you are using). Then in DP, create a stereo track and assign those audio inputs to the inputs of that track.

Or are your MIDI tracks only playing VI's? Assign the outputs of the VI's tracks to a bus pair. Then create a stereo track and assign that bus pair to the input of the Audio track.

Open the Audio Monitor window so you can check your levels and make sure you are not clipping but have good level. Rewind and hit record. When you are finished, your mixdown will be in the soundbites window. Select it and choose Export Selected Soundbite from the mini menu.

It's often a good idea to normalize the audio before you export. You can look in the manual for that.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
daerp1

Post by daerp1 »

stubbsonic wrote:The overall flow is that you send each MIDI track to it's destination which will either be an internal VI or an external sound module; then you take the audio output of that source and input that to an audio track. If you have multiple audio tracks (from your VI's and external devices) you can mix those down by setting levels, pans, and adding effects.

Are your MIDI tracks playing all one device (like an external workstation/synth)? Take the audio outputs of the synth, and connect them to your audio interface (or computers audio input if that's what you are using). Then in DP, create a stereo track and assign those audio inputs to the inputs of that track.

Or are your MIDI tracks only playing VI's? Assign the outputs of the VI's tracks to a bus pair. Then create a stereo track and assign that bus pair to the input of the Audio track.

Open the Audio Monitor window so you can check your levels and make sure you are not clipping but have good level. Rewind and hit record. When you are finished, your mixdown will be in the soundbites window. Select it and choose Export Selected Soundbite from the mini menu.

It's often a good idea to normalize the audio before you export. You can look in the manual for that.
Thanks you for the thorough response. It all makes sense.
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

If you want to do a quick bounce. Just highlight the tracks or 'select all' so that all MIDI is highlighted. Then, go to file/bounce to disk… Choose the format, file name, save location, and your done.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
daerp1

Post by daerp1 »

Thanks for these responses. I'm able to do what I want now.
P :D