Opening DP5/6 files in DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Jeff E
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Opening DP5/6 files in DP9

Post by Jeff E »

My Setup.
2006 2.6 8 core
Running OSX 10.6.8
26 gigs of Ram
Newly Installed DP9

<MY Question:
So far my system works great and all. I have purchased and installed DP9 to access some files for a client that we recorded in 2005/6. I did this a year ago with the demo of DP8 and somehow with the help of MOTU tech it worked great. (They were very helpful) For the life of me I cannot remember what I did to get the files to open.

I have read up on what others have done by changing the DP file to .perf or .dpdoc but that didnt work. I got an error on the audio files. So I know that all the audio files are SD2 files and that the new ones are aiff or wav files. Do they need to be converted?

Is there a step by step process in a sticky?

Thank you very much.

Happy New Year to you...

Jeff E
Macpro Intel 2.66, DP5.11, Pro Tools HD, Micro express MIDI, MACH5 1.08, Waves Renn 5, Melodyne, Autotune 5, Battery 2, NI -B4II, DFH Superior...
David Polich

Re: Opening DP5/6 files in DP9

Post by David Polich »

I have no trouble opening DP 4.61 or even
DP 3.02 files in DP 9.01. I dont have to do
any renaming or other preparation...the files open
automatically in DP9.

I never used DP6, I went from
DP5 to DP7. Maybe there are some issues
with DP6 that I dont know about.
Last edited by David Polich on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

They don't need to be converted if opening on a Mac. I can still open files I created in 2.7.

If you didn't save as DP 8 ... oh, you opened them in a demo version so you couldn't save.

There are a number of things that could be the issue. You may have to go through the steps again with support.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Jeff E

Post by Jeff E »

Thanks David and Mike,

I finally got a few of the files open but not as clean as I would have liked. from what I can gather this is not an issue with the file perse but more about the SD2 files. They do not have .sd2 on the end. and when you do then they are not recognized and put into the tracks. I had to go re-aline the tracks one at a time.

Stereo files look something like this Song Mix-0.L and adding the ending .sd2 confuses things even more.

I wish there was a re connect media in DP or a way to force it to say this audio on this track needs to connect to this file. That would be helpful . I know there is a way to do it.. just need another session at it.

thanks

Jeff
Macpro Intel 2.66, DP5.11, Pro Tools HD, Micro express MIDI, MACH5 1.08, Waves Renn 5, Melodyne, Autotune 5, Battery 2, NI -B4II, DFH Superior...