How do you audition loops in DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Soundhound242
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How do you audition loops in DP?

Post by Soundhound242 »

I generally don't work with loops, but have gathered a large collection that I use from time to time. It seems that DP doesn't have a loop browser per se. In Logic, Cubase, Studio One 3 etc you can listen to the loops in a list, tied to the sequences tempo. Is there a way to do that in DP9?

Barring that, I'm wondering for those who do use loops, what is your approach for auditioning them in your sequence?
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: How do you audition loops in DP?

Post by delcosmos »

Well, believe it or not, I use an Ableton Live 9 rewired to DP in order to audition loops (in time) with their amazing browser. When I find something I like, I just drag it in to my DP Session.

I know, its an expensive browser, but a very powerful one if you know what I mean.
Some times I edit the loop inside Ableton with their loop editing features, then "Command J" to consolidate my loop and drag it to DP.

I could run DP and Ableton together via rewire in order to avoid the "Drag" step, but I hate to edit song structures on both DAWs, its a waste of time.

Happy new year!

Armando.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
Soundhound242

Post by Soundhound242 »

Wow, that is an expensive browser! But I'm starting to see that DP needs some kind of loop facility. I spent yesterday trying to learn the ins and outs of getting loops to conform to track tempo etc. Seems like this is not DP's wheelhouse. Something like Studio One is built to make doing it easy, without even thinking.

But I am interested in getting DP up and running for working to picture. So the Ableton idea is intriguing. I don't know anything about rewiring or Ableton. I see there's an intro version of Ableton for just $99, do you know if that version would have the loop browser and rewire abilities you mention?
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Soundhound242 wrote: Barring that, I'm wondering for those who do use loops, what is your approach for auditioning them in your sequence?
With the Import Audio function in File Menu (Command F1 is the keyboard shortcut) , a window opens and you can even listen to the loops before loading.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I rarely use loops or other pre-recorded audio, but I see that if you open the DP Audio Import dialog from the Soundbites window or the File menu, and click on the small speaker icon in the lower right of that window (aka the audition button), any audio (including loops) that you click on subsequently will be previewed.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by delcosmos »

Soundhound242 wrote:Wow, that is an expensive browser! But I'm starting to see that DP needs some kind of loop facility. I spent yesterday trying to learn the ins and outs of getting loops to conform to track tempo etc. Seems like this is not DP's wheelhouse. Something like Studio One is built to make doing it easy, without even thinking.

But I am interested in getting DP up and running for working to picture. So the Ableton idea is intriguing. I don't know anything about rewiring or Ableton. I see there's an intro version of Ableton for just $99, do you know if that version would have the loop browser and rewire abilities you mention?

Yes, the lite version of Live would give you the browser.

The thing with the "rudimentary" audition of audio files inside DP is that you will not be able to audition the loop at the tempo of your song, Ableton live allows you to review the loop in sync with your song's tempo, a very powerfull feature.

All the best.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
Soundhound242

Post by Soundhound242 »

good to know about that window fr listening to loops, about the same as listening to them using QuickTime, without having to close files all the time. but yes its the ability to hear loops at sequence tempo and even at the right start time that really lets you search effectively and quickly.