Plug-In To Clarify Frequencies Being Used In a Track

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pacificm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plug-In To Clarify Frequencies Being Used In a Track

Post by pacificm »

I'm learning how to improve my mixing skills. One of the things I'm learning is the importance of not attempting to crowd frequency ranges with competing sounds from different tracks which can muddy the sound. In one tutorial discussing this it suggested that there were plug-ins available which could help with this. It was suggested that there are plug-ins that will clarify what frequencies are being used in a particular track so that you could use that information to adjust the EQ in other tracks with potentially competing frequency ranges. For example, if track A really needed a strong frequency capability in a particular range and track B used some of that range, but could get by with a reduction in that EQ range - then that could help track A without hurting track B. But, my questions is if there are any plug-ins available or capabilities in DP that could help with clarifying frequency ranges in this process. Please let me know if you have any suggestions in this area. Thank you.
1) iMac (2020, 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel i7) OS X 10.15.7, 72 GB RAM
2) iMac Quad Core (Late 2015, 4GHz Intel Core i7) OS X 10.15.7, 32 GB RAM,
3) Mac Pro (Late 2013, 6.5 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon E5) OS X 10.15.7, 64 GB RAM

Software: DP 10.13, FCPX, VSL Chamber Strings, Vienna Suite, Ensemble Pro 5, MIR Pro | Ivory | Stylus RMX, Trillian, Omnisphere 2 | Samplemodeling Trumpet, Flutes & Saxes | EZ Drummer 2 | BFD3 | East West | MOTU UltraLite Mk3
cuttime

Re: Plug-In To Clarify Frequencies Being Used In a Track

Post by cuttime »

The MW EQ has a Fourier display analysis that can be very helpful, and there are the spectral displays in the Sequence Editor. Also you may find this to your liking, and free:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

my questions is if there are any plug-ins available or capabilities in DP that could help with clarifying frequency ranges in this process.
I would start here:
https://www.motu.com/store_products/upgrades/dp

Spectrogram display in the Sequence Editor — View the spectral content of each audio track, side by side with their waveforms, directly in the Sequence Editor timeline with a colorful, informative visual representation of the frequency content of your audio material.

https://www.motu.com/products/software/dp
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I find Fourier and Spectral Displays to be essential for this. Of course, ear training helps, too. I keep a frequency chart hanging next to me with a piano keyboard showing the frequency of each note. That helps me to think of note ranges in numerical pitches.

Once you know the frequency of a pitch, the rest is math. For a brief reference on the subject, see this post on frequency charts.

It's a lot easier to refer to a frequency chart, or remember this: Every octave doubles in pitch over the octave before it. 440, 880, 1760, ...
Middle C4 Frequency Chart
Middle C3 Frequency Chart

All that said, I like FFT displays (Fast Fourier Transform) and Spectral Displays. The latter are not as precise to read, but they "hang" longer and show you results over time. Use both and learn how they each serve you. Even when I use them, I like seeing how close I could have come without the graphs. It's just good exercise.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dix

Post by dix »

Ever checked out TrackSpacer? It uses a sidechain to reduce conflicting frequencies. Super useful in certain situations. ...it's also really good at creating that rhythmic sucking effect used in so much EDM.

http://www.wavesfactory.com/trackspacer.php
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I suggest starting with the low frequency range first. This is where that concept immediately makes sense.

From about 150 Hz and lower, you can think about balancing instruments in that range. Often the question there is whether the kick (and/or low drums) gets to occupy the lowest frequencies (50Hz and lower), or whether you want the bass or bass synth to have any presence down there. It isn't either/or. They can both be down there, you just have to control the total energy down there.

After that, you may notice a bunch of low end in the acoustic guitar track for example. So you can dial out some low end on that track and then some of that low mud will start to clear up.

Another little trick is to put up a parametric and put a little mid-peak on it and sweep it around. Listen without, then sweep to identify the frequency or frequencies that seem the busiest.

Like compression, it is easy to go to far with this concept. You can end up with a very clean mix that doesn't sound very real. Just know when you are going for impact and realism, vs going for something surreal or slick.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Pacificm, I think you're asking the right questions. You might want to check out a plug-in called Vengeance SoundScope. It's a great little analysis tool, 64-bit and low overhead. I put a bypassed instance on every track in my template, then pop it open as needed to get a precise look at the frequencies being used.

It looks like they took it off Vengeance-Sound.com (at least, I didn't see it when I looked just now), but you can get a free download if you pick up a copy of Computer Music magazine (print or iPad edition).

Good luck!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
toni_bena

Post by toni_bena »

Take a look at this one, it might help:
https://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins ... tiAnalyzer
Windows 10 Pro x64 / ASUS P5Q PRO / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz 8 Gb Ram DDR2 800Mhz / NVIDIA GeForce GT520 / 2 x WD 500 Mb / CD-DVD RW PLEXTOR / RME FF400
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

A combination of the meldaproduction plugin and trackspacer is really amazing. (Both are referenced above.)

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Regarding Melda and MMultiAnalyzer - I find this plugin to be quite useful, although I don't always use it as intended. It's only 47 bucks and a handy plugin to have in your toolbox.

When I ordered this plugin, I screwed up and clicked on the wrong plugin, sent my money to Melda and got something I didn't want. An email to customer service was quickly answered and the authorization was set to the correct plugin. Melda only has my word that I won't use the authorization for the incorrect plugin already sent to me. They didn't have to do that. I think that's pretty darn good customer service. Kudos to Melda.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.