USB dilemma

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: USB dilemma

Post by SMS »

David Polich wrote:I see that your initial post lists a MIDI Express XT
as one of your USB devices. If it is, then
connect your Kurzweil via MIDI cables to the MIDI
Express. This will eliminate at least one USB
device, as you are not connecting the Kurz via
USB anymore. Do the same for other hardware
keyboards you want to connect..use MIDI to
connect them to the MIDI Express XT.
Thanks, but I like it connected via USB for ease of transferring data (samples, mostly) from Mac > Kurz. I have it connected both ways.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

SMS wrote:
Thanks, but I like it connected via USB for ease of transferring data (samples, mostly) from Mac > Kurz. I have it connected both ways.
Yeah, well, you are asking for trouble if you
have more than 4 devices connected vis USB.
You've already proven that yourself.

Why would you need to transfer samples to
the Kurz in realtime? You dont need to do that.

And the Lexicon..why is that connected via
USB?

All I'm saying is cut your losses. U simply
have too many USB devices connected.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
SMS

Post by SMS »

David Polich wrote:
SMS wrote:
Yeah, well, you are asking for trouble if you
have more than 4 devices connected vis USB.
You've already proven that yourself.

Why would you need to transfer samples to
the Kurz in realtime? You dont need to do that.

And the Lexicon..why is that connected via
USB?

All I'm saying is cut your losses. U simply
have too many USB devices connected.
Thanks for chiming in...

I need to create and transfer samples to the PC3 to develop Setups for my live gigs. Not sure what you mean by "realtime" sample transfer, but I create audio in DP, export it directly to the PC3K, otherwise, it's plug in a USB stick, load it on there, unplug it, plug it in to the Kurz, load it, erase the data from the stick- why not make it easier? I also back up the data in the PC3K this way. The PC3K is mounted on a sliding shelf under my main work surface, so it's also very inconvenient to access the rear USB port.

Lexicon is connected for the ability to use the editor plugin in DP- pretty slick.

And I like my phone connected so I can transfer stuff to that, too, without unplugging it from a wall charger, then plugging in in to the computer, blah, blah. Plus who wants all those extra cables to hassle with? I want my setup clean and as streamlined as possible. I come in in the morning, connect my MacBook, plug in the phone, I'm set for the day.

USB is suppoed to be able to have up to 127 devices. So you're saying the practical limit is actually 4? Hard to believe. I've been working trouble free with this setup, just had a glitch yesterday, and wondered what hubs others have had success with. Looks like mine is OK after all, and it's an Amazon branded 7 port model.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Ok, whatever. I'm just telling you what's what from my experience (years) of working with
USB, MIDI, and computer audio. In my experience, four USB devices is the maximum.
Forget the theorietical limit of 127 devices, that's crazy. no one would ever connect that many,
and besides, as you have proven yourself, you cannot do it.

For live gigs, switch to playback from DP for your "samples". You already have the tracks in
DP, there is no point in recording those and then transferring to your Kurz. But if you must have
the samples in your Kurz, those can be transferred in a separate operation.

You don't need the Lexicon editor. Whether you "like it" is not the point. You don't need it.
There are front panel controls on the Lexicon itself.

Your phone and i-pad can't be connected to a separate power strip that your laptop is also plugged into? Really?

Look, go ahead and keep trying to solve your dilemma. I've given you the solution that works.
Good luck.

Btw, this thread has nothing to do with DP. It should be moved to the Off-Topic section.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
SMS

Post by SMS »

Yes, the topic has gone a little astray.

The issue with my hub has been solved, and I have a lot of useful information for how to get more ports if and when I need them.

Thanks, All!
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Four devices? I've never hit that limit. I have at least 8 or 9 attached at a time and it's always worked, but the have to be powered hubs in the chain. I don't think the topic has strayed at all.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

David Polich wrote:Ok, whatever. I'm just telling you what's what from my experience (years) of working with
USB, MIDI, and computer audio. In my experience, four USB devices is the maximum.
Forget the theorietical limit of 127 devices, that's crazy. no one would ever connect that many,
David? What are you talking about? Who ever said that 4 USB devices was the maximum? I've been using USB as long as you have, and I've probably never used LESS than 5, and currently have about 12 devices connected. USB is a transparent format that has never given me a whiff of trouble. The only time I ever had any trouble was when using a passive hub. As long as I stay with powered hubs, everything is perfectly fine. The devices connected, at this moment, include:

• MIDI Time Piece AV
• Several hard drives
• Several flash drives
• Logitech Wireless USB keyboard (uses its own USB receiver)
• Three software dongles (Waves authorization, VSL's dongle, and the iLok)
• iPhone and iPad (intermittently connected)

And I'm probably leaving some things out, but they all work fine. Were you perhaps referring to Audio Interfaces, exclusively? I can't imagine more than 4 audio interfaces working together in any of the 'old' formats — PCI, Firewire, USB, Serial — but they probably would in this new ethernet format.

So, maybe I'm just skimming the facts again, and missed your point, but as far as using general USB devices, there's no need to stop at 4, 8, or any particular number that I've tried so far.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Same with me. I have quite a few different peripherals attached and as long as I'm using powered hubs things work fine.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
SMS

Post by SMS »

Shoosh- is everything on one hub? If not, do you daisy chain, or use multiple USB ports on the cpu?
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
MIDI Life Crisis

I have daisy chained multiple hubs without a problem as long as they are powered. I don't even think about how many USB devices I have on there. Plug and play.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

There may be more to investigate on this subject:
Never figured out why Apple external CD-DVD burner/player will refuse to appear whenever connected to my MacBookPro thru any of my usb hubs.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There is something that can cause unbelievable USB weirdness. It's the Logitech Solar App, which comes with the Logitech K750 solar-powered keyboard. It's a wireless keyboard that uses a USB receiver (same receiver used by other Logitech input devices like the mice and trackballs). The keyboard has a rechargeable battery, but no cable connection. It recharges strictly via ambient light, and it's one of the most wonderful keyboard designs available. I greatly prefer it to the Apple keyboard these days. If Apple's wireless keyboard had a full numeric keypad, I might use it, but I've really come to like this Logitech K750.

Anyway, the keyboard comes with an app that enables you to check on the battery level and the recharge rate. It has a little gauge like a tachometer with a needle, and is very convenient for seeing how things stand. But it has one problem. It occupies the System Console with about 5 to 10 messages per second.

Example:

Code: Select all

12/30/15 3:04:21.772 AM Solar Service[597]: End of data
12/30/15 3:04:21.772 AM Solar Service[597]: Event = 2 device index = 1
12/30/15 3:04:21.779 AM Solar Service[597]: Input data callback for device 0x67300
12/30/15 3:04:22.005 AM Solar Service[597]: Input data callback for device 0x67300
12/30/15 3:04:22.006 AM Solar Service[597]: End of data
12/30/15 3:04:22.006 AM Solar Service[597]: Event = 2 device index = 1
12/30/15 3:04:22.013 AM Solar Service[597]: Input data callback for device 0x67300
12/30/15 3:04:22.014 AM Solar Service[597]: End of data
12/30/15 3:04:22.014 AM Solar Service[597]: Event = 2 device index = 1
12/30/15 3:04:22.021 AM Solar Service[597]: Input data callback for device 0x67300
12/30/15 3:04:22.021 AM Solar Service[597]: End of data
12/30/15 3:04:22.022 AM Solar Service[597]: Event = 2 device index = 1
12/30/15 3:04:22.029 AM Solar Service[597]: Input data callback for device 0x67300
12/30/15 3:04:23.083 AM Solar Service[597]: Input data callback for device 0x67300
12/30/15 3:04:23.084 AM Solar Service[597]: End of data
12/30/15 3:04:23.084 AM Solar Service[597]: Event = 2 device index = 1
12/30/15 3:04:23.091 AM Solar Service[597]: Input data callback for device 0x67300
12/30/15 3:04:23.092 AM Solar Service[597]: End of data
12/30/15 3:04:23.092 AM Solar Service[597]: Event = 2 device index = 1
12/30/15 3:04:23.099 AM Solar Service[597]: Input data callback for device 0x67300
12/30/15 3:04:23.100 AM Solar Service[597]: End of data
12/30/15 3:04:23.100 AM Solar Service[597]: Event = 2 device index = 1
12/30/15 3:04:23.107 AM Solar Service[597]: Input data callback for device 0x67300
The only way to stop it, that I know if, is to go into the Activity Monitor and search for "Solar." You will find "solar services" which you can then select and terminate. You're not terminating any keyboard processes, just the app that reports its status. This will free up an amazing amount of CPU time, which may have been causing delays in apps like Apple's Mail.App.

If you have the Logitech Keyboard, check your system console for Solar Service messages. If you see them, terminate the process. You'll be glad you did.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Shooshie wrote:
David Polich wrote:Ok, whatever. I'm just telling you what's what from my experience (years) of working with
David? What are you talking about? Who ever said that 4 USB devices was the maximum? I've been using USB as long as you have, and I've probably never used LESS than 5, and currently have about 12 devices connected. USB is a transparent format that has never given me a whiff of trouble. The only time I ever had any trouble was when using a passive hub. As long as I stay with powered hubs, everything is perfectly fine. The devices connected, at this moment, include:

• MIDI Time Piece AV
• Several hard drives
• Several flash drives
• Logitech Wireless USB keyboard (uses its own USB receiver)
• Three software dongles (Waves authorization, VSL's dongle, and the iLok)
• iPhone and iPad (intermittently connected)

And I'm probably leaving some things out, but they all work fine. Were you perhaps referring to Audio Interfaces, exclusively? I can't imagine more than 4 audio interfaces working together in any of the 'old' formats — PCI, Firewire, USB, Serial — but they probably would in this new ethernet format.

So, maybe I'm just skimming the facts again, and missed your point, but as far as using general USB devices, there's no need to stop at 4, 8, or any particular number that I've tried so far.

Shoosh
My current setup, I have these devices connected all the time via USB:
MIDI Timepiece AV USB
Apple keyboard
Two i-Loks

This leaves me with two remaining ports on my MacPro (the front ones) which I use to
temporarily connect a printer, or a USB jump drive, depending on when I need to do that.
Most of the time there is nothing to connect to those ports.

And you know what - I never have any problems with USB devices being seen. And that's great for me.

This all comes from experience I've had in the past with older Macs...connecting more than four USB devices would cause me problems, anything from line noise in the audio (thanks to the printer) to MIDI devices "disappearing" randomly. This is why I recommended to the OP that he at least start eliminating USB connections that he really doesn't absolutely need.

I'm happy for anyone who has multiple USB devices going with powered hubs. Personally, I'll never recommend that as a solution to anyone. Because in my experience, it does potentially cause trouble.

That's all I'm sayin'.
MIDI Life Crisis

Shooshie wrote:There is something that can cause unbelievable USB weirdness. It's the Logitech Solar App
Funny. That never was a problem for me, but the logitech drivers for their devices have been a nightmare. I've got the solar kbd and don't use the app (wish I could re-configure the damn button to do something else!). Also the original Revolution mMX mouse (two them - one for a backup).

The new mouse from LT looks pretty good, BTW. Haven't bought one yet, but I would try it when I need to buy one (hopefully not for a few more years).

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx-master?crid=7

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

the logitech drivers for their devices have been a nightmare
Oh yea, I gave up on those a long time ago.

I still have some version of the Trackball connected to my system. Unfortunately, its functionality is limited to what I can set up in the Apple Control Panel—which is a lot but... There are times when I need more precision than I can get from the Magic Trackpad.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro