Accurate audio cutting

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
fafalio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Accurate audio cutting

Post by fafalio »

I ask you, guys, how to implement an accurate cut to an audio segment in DP:
a) Put an edit point around a zone in a audio segment where I will place an accurate cut
b) Listen 5 seconds of music until the edit point
c) With some keystroke from the computer keyboard I want to move the edit point back and forward with a fixed time chosen by myself(until to 5 milliseconds)
d) Listened anche choosen the exact position of the edit point, with a keystroke from the computer keyboard make the cut.

Please can you explain in details these passages? Thanks a lot!!

Alessandro.
stubbsonic

Re: Accurate audio cutting

Post by stubbsonic »

This won't answer your questions specifically, but I'll just describe my workflow.

If there's a part of a soundbite that I want to define as its own soundbite:

First, I use my zoom commands to really see my edit points well.

Next, I use a grid-off selection to drag over the entire region I want.

Then, I hit COMMAND-Y to make a new region.

If I want a longer section, I will grid-off-click at the start point and do COMMAND-Y to split at that point, then go to the end, and do the same thing.

To adjust the start & end points, I hover at the soundbite's edge to get the trim tool.

As for pre-roll, I guess I do that the hard way. But I use the key commands to move the play wiper around to my liking, or I move my cursor to the timeline to set the play wiper where I want it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have Nudge preferences set to 1 millisecond as I find 5 mil. way too coarse for editing. It depends on your version of DP where you find this setting. It has changed over the years and is not always clear in the documentation.

I then use the R/L arrow keys to line up my Soundbites to the exact edit point I want. Hold the arrow key down and it will move, tap to adjust per the 1 mil. default.

Next, I zoom way in and play with the Soundbite edges until the wave of one lines up with the other. My cuts are inaudible done this way.

At first glance, this looks a bit convoluted and a bit slow. Once you get it down, it is quite fast and dead accurate. The only time I use a Fade is when I want one.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
fafalio

Post by fafalio »

very clear, thanks!
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

If you turn off the grid, then the distance a sound bite moves in response to the arrow key is one pixel at the current zoom level. I find this useful: zoom out for coarse shifts, zoom in for fine work. By setting the "begin" marker before your edit, you can audition the placement by pressing space bar,tweak it, and audition again until you get it right.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com