Plug-in Latency Question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
muxlow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plug-in Latency Question

Post by muxlow »

Preface: I did search for this first; lots of stuff on latency, but I didn't see anything specific to this.

Just did a little experiment and confirmed that audio going through an aux track with Custom 59 + Live Room B is coming out ever so slightly delayed.

I understand plug-ins can cause latency, but isn't that what Setup > Configure Audio System > Configure Studio Settings > Automatic Plug-in Latency Compensation is for?

Thanks for any light you can shine on this :)
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer
muxlow

Re: Plug-in Latency Question

Post by muxlow »

Ah, this bit from the manual is interesting:

"For example, if an effect is instantiated on an aux track or instrument track, it always runs in real time."
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

muxlow wrote:Ah, this bit from the manual is interesting:

"For example, if an effect is instantiated on an aux track or instrument track, it always runs in real time."
That means it doesn't use the pre-generation mode by which DP calculates the effect in advance to spread out the CPU load. Delay compensation should still be working.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

muxlow wrote:[...]Just did a little experiment and confirmed that audio going through an aux track with Custom 59 + Live Room B is coming out ever so slightly delayed.[...]
Hum, hum, hum... just in case: AFAIU, DP Delay Compensation is intended to compensate plugin calculation delay in previously RECORDED tracks, while playing back these tracks.
That is to say, there's no such thing when it comes to hardware input audio. In hardware realtime audio, any plug will induce delay.
BTW, of course, same applies to realtime playing a VI with a controller. In the VI itself and in any plugin on the VI track.
Last edited by daniel.sneed on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
muxlow

Post by muxlow »

So running a plug-in real-time vs. pre-gen has no impact on plug-in delay compensation. Interesting.

I just did some experimenting with a MIDI instrument in a V-Rack:

EXPERIMENT 1:
Chunk MIDI track -> V-Rack Aux track with EZ Keys -> Chunk audio track (recording) –

Result: No latency (well, 4 samples of latency)

EXPERIMENT 2 (trying to make latency):
Chunk MIDI track -> V-Rack Aux track with EZ Keys, Custom 59 +Live Room G -> Chunk audio track (recording)

Result: Big latency on first pass, no latency on subsequent passes

So aside from the first pass weirdness, it seems okay.

I also noticed on my DI experiments (DI -> Vrack amp model) that an early recorded pass had significant latency, but subsequent recorded passes did not.
Last edited by muxlow on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer
muxlow

Post by muxlow »

daniel.sneed wrote:
muxlow wrote:[...]AFAIU, DP Delay Compensation is intended to compensate plugin calculation delay in previously RECORDED tracks, while playing back these tracks.
That is to say, there's no such thing when it comes to hardware input audio.
That's how I understand it as well.

I'm running tracks of recorded DI to various amp models that I keep in a V-Rack (to maintain consistency across songs), then routing those out to a Bounce track back in the song chunk (stereo audio with the Input Enabled always on).

Works great, except every once in a while I feel that it's not "right". Hence me digging into latency, which probably isn't the problem.

But now I just want to understand how it works :)
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I have my students test latency for all plug-ins, the results are mixed.
We test latency by bouncing one prerecorded track to another through the plug-in. It should show zero latency when compensation is turned on BUT that is not always true. Latency cycle count is provided by the plug-in programmer and it is not always correct. We've had some plug-ins be late with compensation off and early when compensation is turned on OR still late just not as late. Pitch correction software like autotune do not correct latency because it is variable depending on how far off the pitch is plus it cross fades between corrected and bypassed sections with notable cross-fade time artifacts.
IN real time tracking mode there is always latency because of buffering. A/D & D/A conversion added to hard drive (or not) plus any data communication protocol conversion buffering (FW, USB, SPDIF, AES).

Only way to know is to test them. Sometimes a plug-in will have latency that disappears when it's re-scanned so errors in the preferences are possible.

A lot of the bundled plug-ins (MAS) have zero latency even when compensation is turned off. Same with buses, the latency is known and therefore always compensated for.

Also, is the LiveRoom plug-in adding accurate latency for mic position?

Don

P.S. we wont be running tests on DP9 until the school pays for the upgrade.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
muxlow

Post by muxlow »

Don T wrote:Hello,
I have my students test latency for all plug-ins, the results are mixed.
We test latency by bouncing one prerecorded track to another through the plug-in. It should show zero latency when compensation is turned on BUT that is not always true. Latency cycle count is provided by the plug-in programmer and it is not always correct. We've had some plug-ins be late with compensation off and early when compensation is turned on OR still late just not as late. Pitch correction software like autotune do not correct latency because it is variable depending on how far off the pitch is plus it cross fades between corrected and bypassed sections with notable cross-fade time artifacts.
IN real time tracking mode there is always latency because of buffering. A/D & D/A conversion added to hard drive (or not) plus any data communication protocol conversion buffering (FW, USB, SPDIF, AES).

Only way to know is to test them. Sometimes a plug-in will have latency that disappears when it's re-scanned so errors in the preferences are possible.

A lot of the bundled plug-ins (MAS) have zero latency even when compensation is turned off. Same with buses, the latency is known and therefore always compensated for.
Very interesting. How do you handle latency once you know it exists? Nudge everything recorded through the plug-in back X samples? That seems both obvious and horribly tedious.
Don T wrote:Also, is the LiveRoom plug-in adding accurate latency for mic position?
Now THAT is a distinct possibility. I'll try testing that; it has close & far "mics"...maybe there'll be a slight difference.
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I just keep mindful of how I'm using the plugin. If phase accuracy is paramount I'll either not use the plug or I'll instantiate it on the related track and adjust it not to do anything. And yes if I am sure of my plug choice since the latency is known, I can nudge by that amount. A few samples doesn't make too much difference in a vox track. Drum overheads are another matter entirely.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness