Kontakt and DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
djsmps
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Kontakt and DP8

Post by djsmps »

I'm trying to help a friend start using virtual instruments in a live setting. He has a number of sequences in a chunk. Currently, they trigger external MIDI modules to add sweetening to the band (mallets, strings, pads, etc.). He just got Komplete 10 from NI and would like to integrate Kontakt into the band songs. I am former longtime Mac DP user, but switched to the PC some years ago and Reaper. My question is: If he has Kontakt open as an instrument track, and different MIDI tracks feeding it, will Kontakt have to reload samples when he switches to a different sequence within the chunk. Kontakt will always have the same instruments loaded on the same MIDI channels. Basically, he would like every sequence in the chunk to reference the same instance of Kontakt. In Reaper, this won't work. But I'm hoping it will work for him in DP on a Mac.

Thanks.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Kontakt and DP8

Post by stubbsonic »

This is an easy one!

All your friend needs to do is create a chunk called a "V-Rack". Put Kontakt as in instrument track in there. It will be available to all of his sequences without having to reload samples.

One more thing to watch out for. In Kontakt, there is are a few settings. Hang on. I'll be back with those.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have a note that when running Kontakt 5 in DP 8.07 in Yosemite 10.10.3, disable Kontakt memory Server and Multi-Processor support. I don't know if that applies to later releases of 10.10.

Another thing. Sometimes you can set up levels in Kontakt for each instrument in Kontakt's mult-instrument "rack". Then you hit play, and all those levels get reset. Arrg.

The question is whether you want to set levels in Kontakt, or with your MIDI track sliders. I think either way is fine.

To use the level sliders in Kontakt, go into the Kontakt window, click the edit button for each instrument, then click on the button "Instrument Options". Click the CONTROLLER tab. Then uncheck the "Accept standard controllers for volume & pan"
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
frankf

Post by frankf »

I've found no need to use KT memory server after DP went 64 bit. I don't know what NI recommends but try turning it off. +1 on V-racks in your workflow.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
djsmps
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by djsmps »

Thanks for the help. We're probably going to try this today if the weather behaves.