The hardest instrument to mix...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The hardest instrument to mix...

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

I never thought trying to feature a stupid Celesta in a mix was so hard! It's taken me hours to sculpt the sound, and I'm still not happy.

This instrument was apparently very closely mic'd, and it has so much middle content (400 Hz to 2KHz) that it sort of hurts the ears. Taking some of that off then makes the sound too "clacky", like unpitched metal hits instead of a musical note.
I am playing it as softly as possible, so velocities are not the issue.
I want it to sound in the front of the orchestra, as if it were a music box, not in its usual place in the back.

I've referenced some recordings of celesta, like Tchaikovsky's, and it sounds beautiful and smooth. It sounds in the back of the orchestra, though, and I want mine closer, as where they place the piano in a piano concerto, next to the conductor otherwise the effect of music box is ruined.

Any tips on how to sit it better in the mix and control those mid frequencies, while it still sounds like a Celesta? I've tried some EQ (lots of it, actually), and some multi band compression as well, but I'm not happy... :(
Last edited by FMiguelez on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Re: The hardest instrument to mix...

Post by Shooshie »

I've had trouble mixing the celeste, too. It's too mono-dynamic or something, at least in the samples I used. It comes off as a decoration in the sound rather than a sound itself. Get it loud enough to be heard, and it's too loud.

I know what you mean! I just rode the fader.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I suggest recording the part using Pianoteq's Celesta
add-on instrument. It sounds completely authentic,
while at the same time can be adjusted to taste.

Seriously, that is what I would do. When mixing, think
of the celesta as a cross between a glockenspiel and a
vibraphone.

Btw, in my experience, the instrument that
is the most challenging to get right in a mix is an acoustic
piano.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I've had trouble mixing celesta too, and thought it was just me! In fact, I keep buying celesta libraries, hoping for "the one".

Thanks for the tips, guys! And maybe an HPF will help as well.

I own the Celesta add-on from Pianoteq, and my recollection is that it mixed way more easily than the others, but I've only used it once so far. I use Glockenspiel and Vibraphone more often than Celesta.

Back in the 70's, Dave Brubeck toured as "Two generations of Brubeck" and his son Darius spent much of the gig on Celesta. It was my first knowing introduction to the instrument (I saw Nutcracker as a kid but couldn't see the pit orchestra).

At the time, I thought it was a modern electric piano, like a Rhodes, and wondered why more jazz artists didn't use it.

I was totally entranced, and mesmerized by "Forty Days" but then preferred the acoustic piano rendition once I tracked down the "Time In" album (possibly my favourite). Even so, Celesta makes an awesome jazz instrument.

The real things are upwards of $9000 if you go for a Yamaha model. I'll stick with Pianoteq for now. :-)
Last edited by mhschmieder on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I've never been able to EQ a celesta to sound any different than it does. I'll carve it all up, then bypass the EQ and it's the exact same thing only louder. :wink:

Compression just makes it worse.

I know it sounds crazy, but you might shoot it through a studio room if you can.. a little airspace can do wonders for both the dynamic smoothness, and taming the poke in the ear with a stick, that is a celesta up close.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Luckily, Pianoteq lets you move the "virtual microphones" around... but maybe that's only in the Pro edition (which I own).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thank you for the answers, guys.

I'm glad it's not just me, then :)
I might upload the music, so you can suggest a more specific solution with something concrete.

David, I will definitely check out that library. Thanks for the recommendation (I would have to wait a few weeks if I decide to buy it, though).

Killahurts, I love your suggestion. I will try it right now.
So you mean recording with a mic in my room the sound of the speakers, right? Interesting. Thanks!

As for compression, I'm trying MOTU's DynEQ. It helps, but any reduction of more than 3 dB in the offending bands (around 500 Hz, and also at 700-1500) gets you this nasty pumping effect in the release. If I set it too short, it's too obvious. The only way I found is to set a long release (300 ms) and not compress too much so it doesn't pump.

Like Shooshie said, if you bring it so you can hear it, then it's too loud :lol:

Wow! Those things are expensive (the real thing, I mean). I'll stick to libraries like you do too, thank you :)
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I recorded the one at San Jose State once. It was acoustic only. Funny how it doesn't sound that loud when you just sit there but everything changes once there are other instruments.

We played hell trying to find the right spot in the concert hall along with the rest of the ensemble. Although the concert had it live, for the recording, I recorded it in stereo by itself and flew it in later. SJS had just gotten an 8 channel deck and it was one of the first things we tried it on.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It's likely all about context. It's not an instrument that gets used like a piano in a concerto. Think more along the lines of a glock. It adds color more than leading or supporting harmonic structures. Listen to how Mozart uses it in The Magic Flute. Almost always solo in a more antiphonal passage. Or listen to how Bartok uses it in his work for strings, percussion, and celest. It's NEVER played loud enough to compete and almost always as a brief solo.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
groove

Post by groove »

If you have Altiverb or any other convolution reverb, choose a room, disable the tail and keep only the ER, start at 100% wet and adjust to taste. That is a setup I use frequently in an orchestral mix.

Another one of my fav is UAD Ocean Way in Re Mic setup, muting the close mikes and balancing the mid and far mikes.

Experiment by cutting (not boosting) the highs and lows with the hpf and lpf of the reverb eq, this will help positionning the instrument in space or use the positionner fonction in Altiverb.

Now, just for the fun of it, put an oboe in the mix!
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

FMiguelez wrote:Killahurts, I love your suggestion. I will try it right now.
So you mean recording with a mic in my room the sound of the speakers, right? Interesting. Thanks!
Exactly! You can use omni or cardioid, whatever works best, maybe 10 feet or a little further if you have it..

The celesta is one of those instruments, like folk harps, whose sound "blooms" into a room over time (and space). In smaller spaces, the sonic character actually becomes a function of the room..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ok, I don't know what I'm doing. I really need a break and fresh ears.

I now prefer this second version, where I used much less EQ in the celesta than I had originally. It seems I just waisted 3 hours EQing around, hahahaha. I think I managed to take out more of the most offending and ear-hurting frequencies with this 2nd version.

The thing is that the more certain frequencies I carve out, the more clanky it sounds, since reducing lower frequencies is kind of like boosting certain higher ones (masking/unmasking)... :roll:

I don't know... Here's the preliminar mix I'm working on.

What do you think?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/747 ... 20test.mp3
Last edited by FMiguelez on Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Killahurts wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:Killahurts, I love your suggestion. I will try it right now.
Exactly! You can use omni or cardioid, whatever works best, maybe 10 feet or a little further if you have it..

The celesta is one of those instruments, like folk harps, whose sound "blooms" into a room over time (and space). In smaller spaces, the sonic character actually becomes a function of the room..
Wow! I tried this, and it definitely gives me a different color. It actually works, and it fixes some of the most obvious problems :)

The thing is that I have to play it so loud, so it records a decent level at a distance, that I need to cover my ears, and even then, when I bring it up to the necessary volume in the mix, there's too much noise and distortion. I will try it tomorrow with a better mic, since the one I tried it on is kind of cheap.

But it's a GREAT idea, and something I'll keep in mind when dealing with future similar issues.

Thanks!

Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

mhschmieder wrote:Luckily, Pianoteq lets you move the "virtual microphones" around... but maybe that's only in the Pro edition (which I own).
You can also change the mic positions in the Std Edition. The Pro version only adds support for 192 kHz and something else but I don't remember what :wink:
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

David Polich wrote:Btw, in my experience, the instrument that
is the most challenging to get right in a mix is an acoustic
piano.

I completely agree with THAT! I've put a lot of time into studying what goes on with that. The problem is much more complex than it first appears.

To begin with, a piano is a percussion instrument. So is a celeste. The attack is ping-y, but that's not the meat of the sound. What we like to hear is on down the slope of the decay. When the competing sound of an orchestra, band, or chamber group rises above a certain level, it begins to mask the good stuff in the piano sound, but it has little effect on the "ping" of the hammer attack. This changes the perceived sound of the piano, making it more brittle and plunky. The nice, melodic decay is masked.

The old composers like Mozart and Beethoven knew this, and they managed it very carefully by clearing out the competing frequencies or controlling them for effect. They also doubled the octaves when the going got fast and loud. Rachmaninoff and other romantics began adding a 6th or 3rd, and sometimes even an 10th (3rd above?) in parallel to help distinguish the piano's sound from its competition.

Slow movements were all about hearing the tone. Fast movements were about technique. But what could you do when you wanted both? We have at our disposal another arsenal of tools that they did not have: compressors, expanders, and limiters.

This is where it gets good: By using a fantastic "compander" like Waves' C4, C5 or C6, you can actually alter the slope of the decay. This gives the ear a moment more to pick up the sound of the piano and distinguish it from the competing ocean of sound.

Imagine it this way: The sound of the orchestra is water. The sound of the piano is a fin sticking out of the water. Without the orchestra (no water), you see the whole porpoise (solo piano sound). But as the water rises, you see less and less of the porpoise, and when the water gets deeper and faster moving, you only see the tip of the fin as it swims excitedly in the waves.

In raw recording, the piano sound we hear above the loud orchestra sounds more like a xylophone than a piano. But adding a compander, with threshold set a little below the attack level, you actually can control the slope of that "fin" as if you're flattening the porpoise so that more of its fin and back rises above the water. (Pardon my jumping back and forth with the metaphor) The result is that more of the meat of the sound is perceived before it dashes below the waves. It's a beautiful thing!

However, you may not want to do this for Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, or others of the old schools. These guys knew what they were working with, and they arranged their music specifically for that sound. Some more than others. It may yet be effective on some composers who were less aware of the subtleties of this. You just have to use your ears and decide.

But for modern music, where the mix is done at the board more than in the score, this is a fantastic method of recording piano. When I first made this work, I was blown away by the sound. Maybe a better way of putting it was that I was less annoyed by the impossibility of mixing a piano. Suddenly it became possible.

The trick is finding the threshold. In the Waves C4 (and family), you move the Range (not the Threshold) ABOVE the mid-line by about 3 to 6 dB (give or take; depends on context), then set the Threshold a little OVER the average attack levels. Since you are working in frequency bands, you will emphasize the lower frequencies (the part of the sound that gets lost) and de-emphasize the upper frequencies. You may even want to flip-flop so that you get expansion below about 2500 hz and compression when you get up to 4000 hz. I don't remember whether I ended up using that setup much. Believe me, I experimented with all kinds of crazy curves. I do remember that simpler is better, but a single flip-flop doesn't necessarily mean it's not simple.

When you find the right threshold, you'll hear the richer sound of the piano hesitating an instant before decaying. It's not an odd sound; it just sounds like the piano your ear wants to hear, as if you've been given X-Ray glasses to see those porpoise fins just below the surface of the waves. You haven't altered the sound so much as "tilted" the decay. At lower volumes, the sound doesn't reach the threshold, so it has less effect, which is a good thing. At higher volumes, the effect increases, but since you set the Range, you control how much you can possibly get out of it. It's one of those things that just works.

This, to me, is the #1 reason for owning the Waves C4 family. (C4, Linear Phase Multiband — which I call the C5, and the C6 with side chaining) If I were buying only one, I'd get the C6. The new MOTU processor, whose name I forget, may enable this technique, but I haven't tried it, so I don't really know. Waves' C4, C5, and C6 are part of my standard toolbox, so I haven't really worked with the new MOTU plugin.

This would probably work on celeste as well as piano. I hesitated to mention it earlier, because I haven't actually used it on celeste. But I definitely have used it on piano (dozens of times) in loud mixes, and I recommend anyone to try it. So, you might as well give it a try on celeste, too, and see if it fixes some of the problems of mixing.

The complexity of recording and mixing a piano in an ensemble has many facets. This is just one of them. But this is probably the biggest one. Solve this, and I think you'll find most of the other problems easier to deal with.

Hey... you heard about it at MOTUNation!

Shooshie

A typical ensemble-solo piano compander setting. Note that the high band is compressing while the other bands are expanding. I'd fine tune this before actually using it. Also note that this is functioning as a 4-band processor, because I've got the two side-chain bands bypassed.

Edited by Shooshie, December 23, 2015, 7:00 p.m.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|