New string quartet library from Spitfire: Sacconi Strings

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New string quartet library from Spitfire: Sacconi Strings

Post by mhschmieder »

Finally, a library of solo strings meant to slot into a chamber music setting vs. a solo or orchestral setting:

http://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/s ... ngs-vol-1/

The only other chamber music libraries I have found so far are ones that sample a quartet together and then split the notes when you play chords -- as though anyone writes chamber music that way!

Regular solo strings are too forward to blend in a quartet setting (or other chamber configurations).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Re: New string quartet library from Spitfire: Sacconi String

Post by mhschmieder »

There was an earlier library that I linked here at the time it came out, but haven't used much. As I recall, it didn't pan out in usage, but I should revisit it soon.

SNAP! Acoustic and Sound Design String Quartet is also a Kontakt library. My recollection is that it is unconventional, whereas the Spitfire library is meant to cover a lot more ground.

I have probably spent more money on Spitfire libraries than I should have -- and have been resisting many of their newer ones -- but the ones I use are "can't live without" at this point. Especially their chromatic percussion and ethnic winds libraries. By far the best programmed and organic of any.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Chrysalis looks interesting also. Spitfire is on quite the roll these days.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm too broke from unexpected expenses as it is, so I tried hard not to like Chrysalis. :-)

Not sure what I'd use it for, but certainly an interesting concept, to bow a concert harp and/or "prepare" it like a piano.

Given that the main sound mechanism of a piano is its "harp", I guess it was only a matter of time before people started mangling the basic sound of the concert harp as well. :-)

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Thanks for posting this, Mark. I didn't know until I watched the videos that this is just Volume 1 which is a single violin. So at this price, the whole quartet will come out to $400, give or take.

For $100 for a 30GB violin, this seems like a no-brainer. Thankfully, the controls include vibrato depth from the mod wheel, which is the number one feature I'm always looking for. The articulations are all what you want and seem to be recorded very well. Too bad the audio volume in the videos is
incredibly low (except for the interview with the violinist). Not sure what that's all about.

This seems destined to end up onmy hard drive.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Agreed this looks very nice as are all of the numerous Spitfire libraries I've accumulated over the last couple of years.

@David the quartet might not be quite that pricey as the 2nd violin and the viola will be released as one.

It's an interesting time for sampled libraries,the developers are getting better at it and the choices are numerous.
I'm going to get Sacconi Strings as well as the Virharmonic Soul Capture series.
Now I'm downloading the Orchestral Tools Ark 1 library,damn I spent way too much $$ this holiday season,my finances are a total mess! lol
It will be nice to get out of buying mode for a while and use all of these nice new libraries............. :dance:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The next volume has been announced as Cello, and then 2nd Violin and Viola will be combined as the third volume (much later).

So, it will only be $300 or so altogether. :-)

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to take the punch out of KG's post, but we were actually writing at the same time. :-)

Although not really appropriate for most chamber music, I am still waiting for Best Service's Emotional Cello to go on sale. For solo work, mostly.

cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

mhschmieder wrote:Although not really appropriate for most chamber music, I am still waiting for Best Service's Emotional Cello to go on sale. For solo work, mostly.
Being a full time producer for 23 years and classically trained violinist for 43 I am a sucker for solo cello in any mixes I can get it into. (All string players deep down wish they were cellists.) I am anticipating Spitfire's solo cello, to say the least.

Not to hijack the thread, but this particular solo cello is delightful to put into mixes:

https://cinesamples.com/product/tina-gu ... llo-legato
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

cbergm7210 wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but this particular solo cello is delightful to put into mixes:

That sounds nice. On sale for $69? Sounds really nice!
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

HCMarkus wrote:
cbergm7210 wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but this particular solo cello is delightful to put into mixes:

That sounds nice. On sale for $69? Sounds really nice!
+1. This is a beautifully played and recorded instrument. Not a lot of tweakability, but then it doesn't need a lot either. Just beautiful.

Best thing in the larger library IMHO.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Pretty sound, but it suffers from what they all suffer from: canned vibrato. I don't hear the variability I'd like to hear, but that's a whole can of worms I won't go into right now. Solo cello needs that spinning vibrato, and the ability to express it fully in real time.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Shooshie wrote:Pretty sound, but it suffers from what they all suffer from: canned vibrato. I don't hear the variability I'd like to hear, but that's a whole can of worms I won't go into right now. Solo cello needs that spinning vibrato, and the ability to express it fully in real time.

Shoosh
I think that's a fair observation. It really has a beautiful sound though.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

nk_e wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Pretty sound, but it suffers from what they all suffer from: canned vibrato. I don't hear the variability I'd like to hear, but that's a whole can of worms I won't go into right now. Solo cello needs that spinning vibrato, and the ability to express it fully in real time.

Shoosh
I think that's a fair observation. It really has a beautiful sound though.
Oh, I can think of a lot of things I'd like to do with it. Definitely a pretty sound.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Used sparingly, would be very effective. I think I'm gonna' make a purchase.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

For those who can't wait for the cello entry to this chamber collection and don't mind a more "in your face" sound for solo work vs. chamber work, Emotional Cello is now part of the 2-for-1 sale on Best Service libraries at various websites (Best Service, Audio Deluxe, and others).