DP9 dynamic EQ - any good?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 dynamic EQ - any good?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

¡De nada!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

EMRR wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:Clearly they are based on similar processing-- both very useful and well-designed.
The de-esser and dynamic EQ are not clearly based on similar processing. That would be an assumption. I don't find them to behave the same, set up apples to apples for comparison.
I was assuming they are based in SIMILAR processing because the interfaces are similar, and the parameters and ranges are similar. But you're right, there are enough differences even in the parameter settings & ranges that my assumption is a leap. Even if the parameters & ranges were the same, I shouldn't assume that MOTU would conserve resources and just borrow some of the same DSP code between plugins.

Sounds like you prefer using the De-esser (for De-essing)?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Yes! I believe the de-esser works better for that purpose. I'll stack the two together on some tracks. Read about the way the DBX 902 de-esser works if you like, it's a very different process, and gives one of the multiple ways a de-esser can work differently from typical compression methods.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

EMRR wrote:Yes! I believe the de-esser works better for that purpose. I'll stack the two together on some tracks. Read about the way the DBX 902 de-esser works if you like, it's a very different process, and gives one of the multiple ways a de-esser can work differently from typical compression methods.
Not to hijack the thread, but I recently procured the new HOFA IQ-DeEsser. Fantastic tool as another option.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com