DP9 wins Editors' Choice Award from EM for 2016

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9 wins Editors' Choice Award from EM for 2016

Post by Gravity Jim »

DP9‬ won the Electronic Musician Magazine Editors’ Choice 2016 Award for best DAW.

Which we all knew, of course, but it's nice to see some love from the press.
Last edited by Gravity Jim on Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP9 wins Editors' Choice Award from EM for 2016

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Awe-effing-sum!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

Just found out about DP9 winning again! Congrats to the MOTU team!

I've been a spending a whole lot of time using DP9 these past few weeks composing/sequencing music for my Holiday CDs that I give to family and friends. Getting to know it better. . . and really loving it. I am glad that DP9 is getting the attention that it deserves.

Ted
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Why is it that DP seems to win this EM award practically every year? This has been the case as long as I can remember, and I truly hope there's not any bias involved.

That said, DP is da man and totally deserves it. I'm just not used to such consistent recognition of our beloved software which surely flies well below the collective radar...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
yamguitar

Post by yamguitar »

I always love hearing good things about something I've bought!! I'm a little ashamed to say sometimes I reread old reviews of favorite pieces of gear just so I can get the thrill of "I have that!" I do think DP is pretty underrated. Now if only my favorite recording magazine would start covering DP again.
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.6.8MOTU M6DP 11.22, Reason 12.6.1, Dorico Elements 5.0.2
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There was a time when any discussion of sequencers would come down to whether Performer or Vision were the better platform. When audio was added, many bets were on Digital Performer to become the guiding light of DAWs. Then Pro Tools emerged from the AudioMedia sound card for which DP was acting as the front-end, and its simplicity made it a studio favorite. The thing I noticed in about 1992 was that studio engineers had trouble with computer interfaces, and MIDI flummoxed them totally. When I'd go in and connect a computer to sync up tracks with their tape via SMPTE, the word I'd most often hear in the whispers was "genius." Of course, I wasn't, but anyone who hooks up SMPTE to a MIDI interface and takes control of a studio board from a little Macintosh probably looked like a genius to someone who had bought a PC that merely booted up to a mysterious flashing cursor. [DOS did that]

Most MIDI people back then were still very number-oriented, especially binary or hex, so maybe computers were easier for us. I can't think of a better full-immersion introduction to computers than MIDI. At least, when you got it right, you got music.

So, when audio engineers got a Mac, and Digidesign would set up their computer for them, they ran Pro Tools and really appreciated the stark simplicity of the app, which replaced razor blades and cutting blocks making edits and crossfades a matter of simplicity. At first, studios could do only 2 to 4 tracks in Pro Tools or DP. But Pro Tools was only about audio, so there was nothing else to worry about. You basically got an edit window with an audio track, and you could do anything with that audio track in that single window. It was a beautiful design, but not enough for what most of us were doing then.

Meanwhile, DP focused on sample-accurate MIDI synchronization with audio. But MIDI was becoming less an issue as audio loops gained in popularity. Pro Tools gained in audio capabilities and started scaring makers of traditional studio desks and mixing boards. By this time Vision was no longer in the running, but Logic had become at least well-known enough to be in conversations, especially if the subject were audio loops.

So, Performer and Vision were originally the two big award winners, and I think Performer was probably the winner of more awards than any other sequencer of its time. StudioVision was seen as one of the three big-time DAWs, along with Pro Tools and DP. There were a lot of awards and press sent their way. It was inconceivable that in 20 years StudioVision would be forgotten and DP would be unpopular. But the people giving out awards seem to remember that DP used to butter their bread, and they still know why it's great.

There's a difference between getting your work done, and having every latest bell and whistle. Features are nice, but having a workflow that works for you cannot be over-rated. If there is one thing for which I would give an award to MOTU for DP, it's workflow — the consistency to be adaptable, dependable and get things done. Of course, Pro Tools excels at that, too, and I'm sure many other DAWs do, today. Wasn't always the case, but we have been using these things for a long, long time. I think developers are learning what a 1st rate DAW needs.

That's a long way of saying that DP has a long history of awards, and is still deserving, today. I applaud the good folks at MOTU for continuing the legacy of quality in their flagship application, and I hope they will never forget the app that got them where they are: DP. The road to improvement never ends, but when you look at how far that road stretches back into the past, with all the obstacles and [3rd party] nastiness along the way, DP's position in the world of music is nothing short of remarkable.

Best to all at MOTU!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

As often mentioned I was an Opcode Vision DSP user (not Studio Vision - Vision did audio too) and loved it. The path to be a DP lover was tough but I really like DP and have long since got over Vision. But I was interested in Pro Tools and managed to get registered for the free version of Pro Tools that you can now get. So no bells or whistles but the basic MIDI and audio and editing functions are there to get a feel of Pro Tools and get used to working in it. I have to say I didn't like Pro Tools at all and much prefer DP - even for just the basic stuff. I know PT is the industry standard that you have to have as a professional - but I really think DP is better for most things. The only thing I liked about Pro Tools was the colour option to colour the mixer channels the same as tracks. But that is a small thing and no doubt DP will match this at some point. So I am not surprised that DP won best DAW. If you try them all, unless you are used to Logic or Pro Tools, or Cubase, for ease of workflow I think DP is the best.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.