Capture Last Performance?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
EvanEvans
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Capture Last Performance?

Post by EvanEvans »

I'm new to DP9 coming from Logic and StudioVision in the past. In Logic there was a feature, whereby if you were playing live on your keyboard during playback, and happen to play something amazing, you could press a key command and "Capture" what you played on the track you played it on, without having to go back and replay it while recording. Is there an equivalent feature in DP and if so, how do I do it?
Gravity Jim

Re: Capture Last Performance?

Post by Gravity Jim »

I don't think there is, but this is for sure one of the features I'd like to see added. I love that about Logic.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

There is the pre-punch-in capture DP constantly does; frees us from getting bummed when a punch is missed… it's there as long as you hit record within a few seconds while rolling. Pretty sure its audio-only though.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I thought of PunchGuard. But Logic is kind of always recording MIDI during playback, just not placing the data in the track. But if you play something that feels great, you press a button and it drops the last performance into the track. Just a neat thing to have.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
EvanEvans

Post by EvanEvans »

Yeah exactly. It actually became my main way of inputting. I would just fly in takes, track by track, by positioning the cursor and hitting play. It was a real performance booster, and sometimes a lifesaver when you may have just played something really cool "off the record" that you ordinarily would not have played under the pressure of being in record mode.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Use the old audio engineer's trick: ALWAYS RECORD EVERYTHING.

But that capture deal IS a cool feature, I must admit.