UPDATED: Could this OWC chassis work with MOTU PCIe-424?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UPDATED: Could this OWC chassis work with MOTU PCIe-424?

Post by James Steele »

This interesting. I recall UA saying that only the UAD-2 PCIe OCTO would be compatible with a an external TB to PCIe chassis, yet OWC claims that theirs is compatible across the whole range. Here's a link to their compatibility chart that shows a variety of pro audio cards. Notably absent is the MOTU PCIe-424, but I suspect it just hasn't been tested.

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/T ... atibility/

Seriously, I'm not thinking about a nMP anytime soon, but it would be nice to know that if this worked, I could just continue to use my current audio interfaces and studio setup. They have a single card chassis for $249. That's not much different that what MOTU would charge to upgrade from the PCI to PCIe version of the 424.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderb ... ry_Helios/
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: OWC claims TB>PCIe chassis works with UAD-2 Line

Post by James Steele »

Forget it! My bad... there was a tiny annotation next to the listing for the UAD-2 Solo, and the corresponding footnote reads thusly:

5. Due to an incompatibility in PCIe addressing schemes, the SOLO, DUO, and QUAD versions of this card are incompatible when hosted by the new Mac Pro (2013). Aside from the new Mac Pro, they are compatible with the rest of the currently shipping Macs and most PCs.

So it's just as I thought, thus my UA plug-in purchase embargo stays in effect.

Still... it would be awesome if the PCIe-424 worked in the 1 slot chassis. Many Avid cards apparently will.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Re: UPDATED: Could this OWC chassis work with MOTU PCIe-424?

Post by mikehalloran »

It's a firmware issue, same as with UAD. MOTU would have to develop and release a new firmware chip to make it work. Since that hasn't happened by now, no reason to hope it ever will.

UAD said they would be able to make the Octo work but I don't know that they ever did. I presume that it has an updatable firmware controller chip set.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: UPDATED: Could this OWC chassis work with MOTU PCIe-424?

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:It's a firmware issue, same as with UAD. MOTU would have to develop and release a new firmware chip to make it work. Since that hasn't happened by now, no reason to hope it ever will.

UAD said they would be able to make the Octo work but I don't know that they ever did. I presume that it has an updatable firmware controller chip set.
Thanks, Mike. Thought it might be too good to be true. I remember at NAMM suggesting to MOTU either they make a TB breakout box that would support AudioWire, or if that was going to eat into sales of new MOTU TB interfaces, than why not hang a couple legacy AudioWire connectors on the back of the interface... similar to how you can hang an older serial MOTU MTP off the back of a newer MTP AV. That way, they still sell at least one interface, but users don't have to junk their PCIe/AudioWire interfaces. My HD192 is still going strong. :)