Stemming from DP to Pro Tools and save $20,000

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Macrozonaris
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stemming from DP to Pro Tools and save $20,000

Post by Macrozonaris »

I made a video how to create film score stems from Digital Performer to Pro Tools without an expensive split system (a separate Pro Tools rig). I hope you find this useful.

https://youtu.be/vwhe1rABgzo
Last edited by Macrozonaris on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
kwiz

Re: Stemming from DP to Pro Tools and save $20,000

Post by kwiz »

Great post!
I don't do this type of work, but your post was very educational!
I occasionally compose for TV (sonic beds) and never have these requirements.
Maybe one day I'll graduate to film composition! 8) 8)
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

That's nice but why would one even consider recording from one DAW to another? :?
Exporting .wavs is obviously the best way to go (or saving the sequence as OMF/AAF)
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Macrozonaris

Post by Macrozonaris »

Morpheo wrote:That's nice but why would one even consider recording from one DAW to another? :?
Exporting .wavs is obviously the best way to go (or saving the sequence as OMF/AAF)
I'm with you on this one :) Many film composers still record to a separate rig, I think they are starting to switch though
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

Macrozonaris wrote:I'm with you on this one :) Many film composers still record to a separate rig, I think they are starting to switch though
Really? ...Damn! Welcome to the 21st century guys :lol:
I started working in film music 15 years ago and such insane technique never crossed my mind even for a nanosecond :D
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Morpheo wrote:That's nice but why would one even consider recording from one DAW to another? :?
Oh wow, I thought what he demonstrated was something that's required when delivering film stems.
You're right. Exporting OMF/AAF files is a much simpler process. Then you can avoid PT altogether.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
bralston

Post by bralston »

99.9% of motion picture films are mixed on the dub stages in ProTools. Pretty much all sound designers and motion picture folks use PT. Delivering stems for cues is most typical in a motion picture environment as it allows the sound mixers options to get the music and competing sound fx to all sound nice and loud/full in the film's mix. Thus recording into PT rigs are an easy way to print into the PT sessions that film composers generally are contractually obligated to deliver their work in…regardless of the DAWs they choose to write in. Thus many, instead of using the OMF/AAF process which can sometimes be a pain in the neck…will just record their stems into a PT rig to picture and then simply deliver that PT session with those stems to the sub stage for immediate mixing into the film. The more complicated the stem delivery is (especially as composers start stemming out in 5.1 for each stem)….the more this makes things quicker to do.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

bralston wrote:99.9% of motion picture films are mixed on the dub stages in ProTools. Pretty much all sound designers and motion picture folks use PT. Delivering stems for cues is most typical in a motion picture environment as it allows the sound mixers options to get the music and competing sound fx to all sound nice and loud/full in the film's mix. Thus recording into PT rigs are an easy way to print into the PT sessions that film composers generally are contractually obligated to deliver their work in…regardless of the DAWs they choose to write in. Thus many, instead of using the OMF/AAF process which can sometimes be a pain in the neck…will just record their stems into a PT rig to picture and then simply deliver that PT session with those stems to the sub stage for immediate mixing into the film. The more complicated the stem delivery is (especially as composers start stemming out in 5.1 for each stem)….the more this makes things quicker to do.
Indeed.

But for me, it's easier to just export the timestamped files and spot them in Pro Tools during import. But since I use both DP and Pro Tools, I guess I'm not in the same situation as one who works entirely in DP, or any other DAW, and has to deliver a PT session. These days, depending on the type of music, I often find myself "writing" in DP but all the editing is done in Pro Tools, which is faster than DP in that regard.