Any Apollo Users?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wolfetho
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Any Apollo Users?

Post by wolfetho »

I recently bought an Apollo Quad and I'm having trouble
bypassing the console and just using the mixer in DP 8.07.

I have my Motif plugged into inputs 3/4 on the Apollo. I was told by UA to mute all of the channels on the console, but when I do this, I'm unable to get
sound out of the Motif from DP.I can see level going into DP. I have my monitors plugged into Monitor IN, and outputs 3/4. Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
towerproductions
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Any Apollo Users?

Post by towerproductions »

I don't think you want to mute the console or you won't hear anything coming into DP from the apollo. You don't need the console open to hear anything either. Your speakers should be plugged into the main monitors output 1&2 . How are your inputs for the motif set up in DP MIDI or audio track are they armed or in input mode and what are the outputs for that track ? To monitor from the apollo It should be the output streams 1&2.
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Pretty much what towerproductions said.

I don't understand:
wolfetho wrote:I'm unable to get
sound out of the Motif from DP.
Sound from Motif input monitored through DP, or DP playback?
wolfetho wrote: I have my monitors plugged into Monitor IN, and outputs 3/4.
There are no monitor inputs. See pg 15 of the Apollo manual.
It's hard to help without a clearer understanding of what the problem is. Why are you trying to bypass UA's console app? That's what runs the thing. Specifically what are you trying to accomplish? It seems like you have an audio interface you're trying not to use.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
wolfetho
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wolfetho »

Thanks guys for your help! My mistake-I do hear the Motif now after
record-enabling the Motif audio track in DP. The reason I muted the console
was because I didn't want to have to adjust the gain in the console as well as
in DP. I just wanted to simplify things while I'm learning the Apollo. Is this a mistake?

What I ultimately want to do is run two sets of monitors from the Apollo,
and be able to control the levels of both sets of monitors from the Apollo. I have my Mackies patched into Monitor (LR) on the Apollo, and my smaller computer speakers plugged into the Line out (3/4). Tech support at UAD
told me to set the console outputs on mirror to 3/4 and mute all of the
channels on the console in the Apollo.They are working on software for the Apollo Quad (firewire). Does anyone have any work arounds for controlling
two sets of monitors from the console for the Apollo Quad?

Thanks,
Tom
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

wolfetho wrote:Thanks guys for your help! My mistake-I do hear the Motif now after
record-enabling the Motif audio track in DP. The reason I muted the console
was because I didn't want to have to adjust the gain in the console as well as
in DP. I just wanted to simplify things while I'm learning the Apollo. Is this a mistake?

What I ultimately want to do is run two sets of monitors from the Apollo,
and be able to control the levels of both sets of monitors from the Apollo. I have my Mackies patched into Monitor (LR) on the Apollo, and my smaller computer speakers plugged into the Line out (3/4). Tech support at UAD
told me to set the console outputs on mirror to 3/4 and mute all of the
channels on the console in the Apollo.They are working on software for the Apollo Quad (firewire). Does anyone have any work arounds for controlling
two sets of monitors from the console for the Apollo Quad?

Thanks,
Tom
It's so much easier to use a "Big Knob" type box that that's what I have done for many years. Using a Presonus at present. I don't see why what tech support suggested wouldn't work, although I've never used mirroring in the console app. Another ghetto approach would be to use splitters from just the monitor outs and set relative volumes at the monitors themselves (if possible). I'm guessing the mirroring approach would not let you set separate volumes for the 2 sets of monitors, so you'd have to set relative volumes at the speakers in either case. Again I'm guessing a bit here about the mirroring, etc.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce