Question re: Incoming MIDI Data

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jonesmusic80
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Question re: Incoming MIDI Data

Post by jonesmusic80 »

I watched a video of someone using Cubase. The composer was using a MIDI keyboard to play notes and CC data. The CC data (expression and mod wheel) data was displayed on the screen numerically. Does DP have a similar feature?
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Question re: Incoming MIDI Data

Post by stubbsonic »

You can view MIDI data that you record, notes AND CC data in a few different ways.

You can see them in the EVENT LIST as numeric info. And you can see them in the GRAPHIC EDITOR as points plotted on (essentially) an X/Y grid where X is time and Y is pitch/value.

It seems like you are taking your first brave steps here with DP. Congrats. You've gotten yourself quite the powerful music making tool.

The manual is an intimidating tome, for sure. But rest assured, it is a very well written document, one of the best in the industry. It is great when you know what terms to use to look something up. Tutorials are also quite useful. I'd suggest setting up your rig, and perhaps watching some tutorials on another device while you follow along.

Best wishes
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
jonesmusic80
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by jonesmusic80 »

Ok, but how do you know what your controller values are before you hit the record button?

For example, I'm going to record a MIDI track (let's say a trumpet line) and I want to start off with a particular CC value for my mod wheel, let's say 100 (CC #1 = 100). I look at my mod wheel and it looks like it's just 127 so I'm just guessing it's around 100. Then I hit the record button but I've just guessed where my controller is set to.

Is there a MIDI information monitor or something like that in DP? Cubase has this so assumed DP would as well ...
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Can't live without it:
http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Another option within DP would be to use the Consoles function. From the studio menu, you can select Consoles/New Console.

There you can drag a fader or a value box (or both). I think this will do what you are wanting. If there are lots of them you want to create, you can make this part of your default template so they are always there when you open a new DP project.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

A little practice on any MIDI controller, while watching the MIDI Monitor, can get you a feel for the output. You may not hit the exact number you're looking for, but you can certainly get within the ballpark.

That said, it does sound like a nice feature to have. Basically, it's just a MIDI Monitor. Can you post a screenshot of what it looks like in Cubase? (or a link to the video?) I'd like to see how they implemented that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I setup a slider and value box in Consoles and it took 10 seconds. Works very well and with only the slightest latency.

Seeing the slider and the value along side was pretty elegant. Especially considering that a MIDI monitor is going to show you lots of data you might end up wanting to filter.

frankf

Post by frankf »

If i know i want to insert cc1=100 in bar1 beat1, my first choice is to insert the event using the Event List. Then record using overdub mode so it won't be overwritten.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB