Best way to "karaoke" my own tracks?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Best way to "karaoke" my own tracks?

Post by Rick Cornish »

Never thought I'd need to do this. Long story short....

I'd like to take my guitar parts off a few of my tracks so I can perform with them live. I lost the original DP4/5/6 files ( :oops: ), so I only have the stereo masters to work with. (Lead guitar was recorded in stereo, just to make things a bit more challenging.)

I have Waves Center, which I tried quickly and it removed 85% of the guitar, but not enough for me to replace it live....unless I was going to play exactly what I played on the track.

Anyone have a suggestion as to how I might eliminate (as mush as possible) my (lead) guitar from these tracks?

Thanks in advance.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
David Polich

Re: Best way to "karaoke" my own tracks?

Post by David Polich »

IMO you are not going to have much luck, if any, "removing" your guitar parts from the stereo track.
Waves Center is not going to do it, that's for sure.

The only solution I can think of is Melodyne...process the stereo tracks thorugh Melodyne, then locate which "blobs" are guitar notes, and remove them. That would take ages but it's possible to do.

Melodyne here:
http://www.celemony.com
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Waves "Center" may do a better job than nothing. I'd give it a try if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Otherwise, you may EQ out the fundamental range, plus the range up to the first couple harmonics of your solo tracks. You may end up with bass and drums, in which case it isn't that big a deal to replace the chords/rhythm. To me, that would be easier than trying to surgically remove the guitar with Melodyne.

In fact, I think I'd just start from scratch —or from the above mentioned bass/drums — and do a music-minus-one track for each of them. Use what you can, re-do what gets deleted.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, gents. Appreciate the suggestions as I wanted to beside I wasn't missing anything "magic" that might do the trick.

Will be recreating the tracks.....or re-framing the gig as solo jazz guitar.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net