Hiding Unused Tracks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tripi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Hiding Unused Tracks

Post by Tripi »

Did anyone see the Junkie XL youtube videos where he demonstrated his studio process? They were very interesting. He uses Cubase, with a nice custom touchscreen for macros. One macro that really stood out was the ability to hide unused tracks (or only show tracks that have MIDI/audio on them). With a film scoring template like his (100s of tracks), it really makes things easier to navigate. I'm thinking that DP could really benefit from this type of option too. I've got so many tracks now, that I'm always scrolling around to find things. Track folders help, but only so much.

It got me thinking that what DP could really use is a system of scripting, where anyone could come up with a script to make it do things like "hide unused tracks", or "batch assign stemming routes". I'd be happy to see something like this in an update instead of more guitar fx plugins.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
frankf

Re: Hiding Unused Tracks

Post by frankf »

Back a ways when I was using Cakewalk it had a built in scripting language with access to almost everything. I've not seen anything like it since, nor do I know if Cakewalk still has the scripting feature.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I would LOVE to be able to hide unused audio and MIDI tracks :love:

I think this feature has been requested in the past. Hopefully MOTU will implement it soon. I don't think it would be hard to program...

DP scripting would be awesome too, of course.

:unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

I use DP8 and PT 12.3. Protools has that feature also. Hide and Make Inactive. I love it. Wish DP would do that also. I have to delete tracks instead to clean up my work space in DP. Not always want to do that.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
frankf

Hiding Unused Tracks

Post by frankf »

My templates have an "Unused Tracks" folder inside which are sub folders "strings unused", percussion unused", etc. Using the "move selected tracks together", "move selected tracks to top" and "move selected tracks to bottom"commands in the TO helps me organize and hide unused tracks. Furthermore, if you need to conserve resources, for the Unused folder, you can click the folder's blue "active" button to deactivate all tracks within it.

Almost all of my "empty" tracks in my templates have some initial cc data at the top so are really empty, so a hide empty tracks command like the one suggested wouldn't work for me, but maybe for most users.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

apanacci wrote:I use DP8 and PT 12.3. Protools has that feature also. Hide and Make Inactive. I love it. Wish DP would do that also. I have to delete tracks instead to clean up my work space in DP. Not always want to do that.
In PT hide or hide and make inactive work across both the mix and edit windows; you can't have tracks showing in one window and not in the other like you can in DP9. Why not use the built-in hide feature in DP or are people talking here about having a one-button solution that would hide the unused tracks?
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

We're talking one button..... any track without MIDI or audio info (at least notes or soundbites) vanish... and can come back at another button push.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.