Mackie Control Touch Sensitive?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Centris
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mackie Control Touch Sensitive?

Post by Centris »

Is DP9 not capable of Touch Sensitivity to select a track? For example when touching a Controller Fader it is supposed to highlight that track in the DAW. This is the 2nd controller I'm on and it does not do this. I've seen videos of Logic and such doing this but not DP. :?
Gravity Jim

Re: Mackie Control Touch Sensitive?

Post by Gravity Jim »

I don't use a Mackie Control, but on MOTU's web pages for DP9, they mention control surface support, including touch-sensitive compatibility with "Avid Artist, Mackie Control Universal, and other HUI-compatible controllers."

So, yeah, it should. Isn't there a DP specific driver from Mackie?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Centris

Post by Centris »

Gravity Jim wrote:So, yeah, it should. Isn't there a DP specific driver from Mackie?
Thanks for the idea Gravity Jim. Looking at MOTU's site, I could not find any Mackie Drivers. From my understanding, the controller will respond to Mackie guidelines/protocol. In that regard it seems that it is a problem with DP.

If anyone knows differently, I would be glad to know if I need to enable a setting, etc.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

It's hard to imagine that MOTU would advertise a feature that doesn't work.

What I said was, does MACKIE offer a DP specific driver?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Centris

Post by Centris »

Gravity Jim wrote:What I said was, does MACKIE offer a DP specific driver?
I misunderstood you. I did check the Mackie site and only see Firmware updates. And I'm also using a Behringer controller. It looks like other people have had problems in the past, but I'm not sure if the DP Mackie Control driver has been updated or what. Here's a link to that discussion although I'm not sure if it's still relevant/fixed, etc.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=51185
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Centris wrote:Is DP9 not capable of Touch Sensitivity to select a track? For example when touching a Controller Fader it is supposed to highlight that track in the DAW. This is the 2nd controller I'm on and it does not do this. I've seen videos of Logic and such doing this but not DP. :?
I've never been able to do this with Mackie Control. I could do it with the Euphonix/Avid controllers before Avid ruined those for DP.

Don't know for sure, but it seems to me that DP's Mackie Control driver is complete.. it's just an incomplete protocol that is old (14 years?) and will never get any better.

A real controller for DP has not been invented yet, and may never be, since MOTU is into controlling their hardware with iPads now, like all the other companies.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I don't have my hands on it yet, but I do expect the RAVEN MTi2 to be the "real" DP controller.

As for MCU protocol... Yeah, you can't expect much from an obsolete standard. Still, I wonder why MOTU still lists this as a feature on their DP9 main page if this is a known problem between the Mackie protocol and DP.
Jim Bordner

rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

I have a Mackie MCU Pro that I use with DP 8. Touch does work with faders as would be expected, but it does not automatically select the track when I touch a fader. I think this would be a problem as you can move several faders at once. There is a "select" button on each channel that will highlight the track as expected.

There is a whole separate manual that came with DP 8 on using the MCU Pro. Lot's more info there than I can retain without having it open in front of me, but some pretty cool shortcuts. Unfortunately, it is written for an earlier version of the MCU, so some of the buttons are labeled differently than the DP overlay I have.
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!