Couple of questions DP 9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Couple of questions DP 9

Post by Henry Robinett »

Hey guys and gals. It's been many years since I've been here. I have a couple pf questions. Not sure if this is the right forum. Three days ago I finally upgraded to DP 9 from 7.24. I have had major growing pains having to upgraded software. But I don't yet have a new DP manual.

Is there yet a way to have alternate TO in the same chunk? IOW I have a tracking a session and a mixing session, but I don't want to split them into different chunks, for various reasons. It'd be great to just have a different TO for alternate routings. Just asking. It's complicated.

This one is easier I'm sure. I should know how to do this. In editing -- oops. I answered it myself. :D
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Couple of questions DP 9

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There's a PDF manual under the help menu now.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Only 1 TO at a time. :(
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:There's a PDF manual under the help menu now.
Ah, thanks!
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Only 1 TO at a time. :(
OK, thanks again. It's a pretty specialized request, I know.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you're waiting on the box, it will have a quick start guide only plus a CD.

When I ordred my upgrade, I specified download only, received my install code same day and was surprised when the box arrived a couple of weeks later from MOTU (thanks, Sweetwater!).

Everything else is in .pdf. You can open the PDF file and save it separately. I have a shortcut to it on my desktop and like to keep it open on a separate monitor when trying to figure something out.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I don't know if this will help in your situation, but you can zoom way out vertically in the Sequence Editor making it look a little more like the TO. Seems obvious, but most people use the Sequence Editor zoomed in more than that, so... just a thought.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

Couple of questions DP 9

I was thinking the same thing, Phil. If it's MIDI, you can assign different colors to all tracks and view them in the MIDI editor. The main thing to be careful of is recording from there. Be sure the track you want is the one record enabled. That can be selected quickly from the Track Selector.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

You can still select notes from any track to edit (drag, etc). Drawing curves for velocity, volume, etc. you still need to make it the active track. Single note data can be edited on random notes from the info bar or menu (region) commands.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've done some amazingly complex things in MIDI requiring ingenuity not only musically but in workflow, just to make it happen in a DAW. I've never been hampered by a lack of windows. What others say about the Sequence Editor is good advice. You can use it like another Tracks Overview if you want. But the Tracks Overview is a very specialized window. Best bet is to learn to get around in it quickly, and to do things you may not know it can do.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Thanks guys. I'm not a newbie. I've been on Performer since 1.2. I know TO and SE really well. I was just wondering whether anything new like that had been addressed in 9, since I was stepping up from 7.24. And I'm talking about audio, not so much MIDI. I regularly use three, sometimes four audio interfaces simultaneously I/O - ULN-8s. It gets a little unwieldy. It's difficult to make quick changes to routings when I have various outputs and inputs going to various boxes. It would just be very convenient to be able to snap on another TO with all the routings in place. Having a "saved as" file or a chunk set up is the next best thing. But then I have to drag the various tracks back to the mixing chunk. Or just route everything again, put the bundles in specific order so I can assign them all at once.

Thanks again!
All the best,

Henry Robinett