Fade out question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mlcomposer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Fade out question

Post by mlcomposer »

My question probably has a very simple answer, but I'm brand new to DP so thanks in advance for your help!

I have a project file with several MIDI tracks routed to instrument tracks (virtual instruments). I want my entire sequence to "fade out".

I could add CC#7 data to each track, going from 127 down to 1, but there must be an easier way of doing this....right?
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Fade out question

Post by FMiguelez »

If you want a simple fade out, I'd do it in the master bus (or wherever you assigned the audio output of all the VIs). That would be as simple as drawing the volume automation for that single channel.

However, this may have implications if you, for instance, are changing the bit depth with a plugin as part of your chain in the master bus, i.e., L2 limiter. In that case, I'd draw the automation for the ceiling parameter of such a plug, with the same result, without doing anything after the dither of the L2.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I draw fades on the two track master after mixing.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

When I'm doing final work (i.e., not demo work), I render all the VI tracks to audio first, then do audio fades on each track separately.

It may seem fussy, but this way I customize how each track fades out. For example, I may fade drums earlier than piano, etc., keep longer tails on things that ring nicely, fade things on recorded tracks that may have noises later in the fade.

I use a mix of volume automation and DP's fades function for soundbites. I like a nice "S" curve

I may do more shaping of the fade out on the final mix, but it is seldom needed.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Jeez, is that image big enough?!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Looks fine on Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I (and a lot of folks I know) usually leave the ends of my tracks long and do fades during Mastering… unless—as Stubsonic suggests—I want specific instruments to linger into the fade (the reverb return on a percussion track or a jazz solo, for example). In that case, I'll either sculpt the fadeouts (usually by subgroup, but sometimes for individual instruments or aux tracks) and leave the final fade for mastering or just do the entire fade in the mix.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mlcomposer

Post by mlcomposer »

Again, sorry because I'm brand new to DP.

I have all MIDI tracks routed to instrument tracks. I have set the output of the instrument tracks to "bus 1-2". Finally I have an aux track (input is bus 1-2). I am drawing the volume automation line for a fade out but I don't hear any volume change during playback. What am I doing wrong?
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mlcomposer wrote:Again, sorry because I'm brand new to DP.

I have all MIDI tracks routed to instrument tracks. I have set the output of the instrument tracks to "bus 1-2". Finally I have an aux track (input is bus 1-2). I am drawing the volume automation line for a fade out but I don't hear any volume change during playback. What am I doing wrong?
What is the OUTPUT of your bus 1-2 set to?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mlcomposer

Post by mlcomposer »

On my Aux-1 track, the input is Bus 1-2 and the output is HD Audio Output 1-2
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mlcomposer wrote:On my Aux-1 track, the input is Bus 1-2 and the output is HD Audio Output 1-2
Is the output of Bus 1-2 set to your Aux track?
Rick Cornish

cleamon

Post by cleamon »

mlcomposer wrote:On my Aux-1 track, the input is Bus 1-2 and the output is HD Audio Output 1-2
Here's a screen shot showing a simple set up that works. I think this is what you've done as well. You can see that my VI (kontakt) has its output set to bus 1-2. The aux track (MIX) has its input set to bus 1-2 and its output to the MOTU main out 1-2.
At this point I can manually fade out using the slider, or I can use automation on the 'MIX' channel.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Which track(s) are you writing the automation on? And, is automation play-enabled?

mlcomposer

Post by mlcomposer »

Thanks all. I appreciate your help. The issue was ... I did not have automation-play enabled.
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

mlcomposer wrote:Thanks all. I appreciate your help. The issue was ... I did not have automation-play enabled.
+++
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram