Real Time Bounce to Disc ?… please help

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
GMThomas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Real Time Bounce to Disc ?… please help

Post by GMThomas »

I'm trying to "Bounce to Disc" with my latest composition in my DP9/Kontakt system.

There is an important tempo change from 100BPM to 120BPM which takes place about 4 minutes into the piece. When I try to "Bounce to Disc" the fast way… the tempo change comes in very late (about two measures after it should). This is REALLY throwing my "looped bass line" off, which in turn makes the whole cue out of sync with itself.

The only thing I can think to try is a "Real Time Bounce to Disc", if that's possible. Maybe zooming thru at the fast Bounce to Disc is speeding right by the tempo change…. and a somewhat slower Bounce might make it work. Or maybe some of you might have a recommendation which could help.

I'd greatly appreciate any help you could give me, please. Can DP9 do a "Real Time Bounce to Disc" ?

Thank you
Bowman

Re: Real Time Bounce to Disc ?… please help

Post by Bowman »

1. Create a new aux track.

2. Create a new audio track.

3. Route the aux track to the audio track.

4. Route all VI and audio outputs to the new aux track.

5. Record enable the audio track.

6. Hit record.

Should work.

Best,

Bowman.
iMac Intel Core i5 3.2ghz - 16gb RAM - OSX 10.10.5 - DP 9.01 - Mach Five 3.2.1 - Ethno Instrument 2.0.3 - Kontakt 5.4.3 - 4pre - 828 original - micro express
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

While probably nice to have for adding final limiters or mastering processing, you don't really need the aux track in the chain. You could assign all outputs directly to the audio record track input via a bus.
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

rockitcity wrote:While probably nice to have for adding final limiters or mastering processing, you don't really need the aux track in the chain. You could assign all outputs directly to the audio record track input via a bus.
It USED to be necessary. Before MOTU added the record monitor button to each track, the aux was necessary in order to listen to the tracks when in record mode. So, many of us became habituated with aux tracks in the chain out of necessity for work flow. I still have to convince myself each time that it's not necessary anymore. Sometimes, I want it anyway, because it's just so easy to edit CC data in an aux track, even in the Tracks Overview.

But you're right... it's not necessary anymore.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Bowman

Post by Bowman »

I'm old. Habits die hard.

All these clever young whipper-snappers around ... wasn't like that in my day ... used to walk barefoot thirty miles to school every day in the snow ... etc.

The guys are right, the aux isn't necessary. Dammit ...

Bowman.
iMac Intel Core i5 3.2ghz - 16gb RAM - OSX 10.10.5 - DP 9.01 - Mach Five 3.2.1 - Ethno Instrument 2.0.3 - Kontakt 5.4.3 - 4pre - 828 original - micro express
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

GMThomas wrote:IThe only thing I can think to try is a "Real Time Bounce to Disc", if that's possible.
That's kinda what Freeze is all about. That's what I do when I have MIDI that won't cooperate with bounce to disk. Freeze is a certain workflow, but it's great for realtime bounces.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

I've found that this is the best way for me!

http://dptips.net/using-real-time-mixdo ... of-bounce/
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks