New Thread: Are we ready for El Capitan?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Thread: Are we ready for El Capitan?

Post by mikehalloran »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Line 6 have just sent me an email stating that their audio driver is not working with El Capitan and they advise holding off from updating till they fix this. I was about to update so lucky I got the email before switching. It seems to affect all the Line 6 audio interfaces - so be warned.
Hmmm... My Line6 Mobile Keys is working great but that is their MIDI keyboard.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Shooshie wrote:Thanks, Mike. Man, I hope you know how great it is to have you around here. And all of you for the things each of you know. But Mike knows DP and OS X both! (and a million other things) In my experience, he's rarely wrong. [Ok, ok... he's NEVER wrong. :koolaid: ]

Shoosh
A big plus one here, Mike!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:I haven't done it yet, but I get the banner every day saying "Upgrade to El Capitan." Do we have the drivers? I use legacy PCI-464 audio interfaces and a USB MTV-AV. Does El Cap kill any of those? I also have a relatively current Firewire 896mk3. Any problems there?

Waves, Audio Ease, Slate, various other things. Are most developers now El-Cap-Ready?
Synthogy Ivory Stand alone and plugin?
Garritan Aria Player?
Kontakt?
Vienna Advanced interface?
Etc.?

What about Photoshop and Illustrator CS6?

The real question: how many of your apps, drivers, etc., did you actually have to update before they would work in El Capitan? Judging from the initial reactions, it appeared that nothing worked. Then there were those who said "don't worry. Things are working."

So... Which is it? I really need some input, because I can't afford to go down for a week. I'll take a day if necessary, but not a week.

Shooshie
NI says Kontakt 5 is okay for ElCapitan
ProTools 12 - not yet ready
Amplitube 4 - okayed if you trust their 'OSX 10.7 or later' line
Most Vienna stuff appears to stop at OSX 10.9.x according to their recommendations
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

mikehalloran wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote:Line 6 have just sent me an email stating that their audio driver is not working with El Capitan and they advise holding off from updating till they fix this. I was about to update so lucky I got the email before switching. It seems to affect all the Line 6 audio interfaces - so be warned.
Hmmm... My Line6 Mobile Keys is working great but that is their MIDI keyboard.
Mike - these are the main points in the e-mail so you may be okay:

We have discovered an incompatibility of the Line 6 USB audio driver version 7.3.8 and Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan. After updating to Mac OS 10.11 the Line 6 USB audio driver will no longer connect to hardware devices. Line 6 applications that rely on this driver, for example Line 6 Monkey, will therefore not process audio or allow hardware configuration changes.

We highly recommend you do not update to Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan in order to maintain correct Line 6 USB audio driver functionality.

We apologize for the inconvenience and we will publish an updated driver soon.

The following Line 6 devices are affected:

Bass POD® xt
Bass POD xt Live
Bass POD xt Pro
GuitarPort
POD HD
POD HD Pro
POD HD300
POD HD400
POD HD500
POD HD500X
POD Studio GX
POD Studio KB37
POD Studio UX1
POD Studio UX2
POD X3
POD X3 Live
POD X3 Pro
POD xt
POD xt Live
POD xt Pro
TonePort DI-Gold
TonePort DI-Silver
TonePort GX
TonePort KB37
TonePort UX1
TonePort UX2
TonePort UX8
StageScape™ M20d

If you have any further question please contact us by visiting: http://line6.com/company/contact/

Thanks,

Line 6 Software Team
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Gravity Jim wrote:
HCMarkus wrote: Yes, but do you have enough RAM, Jim?
No. I bought this Mac used and I think I got fleeced.
Ewe jokester ewe!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

HCMarkus wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:
Ewe jokester ewe!
Arrrrrgh!

More El Cap news: I went for the Steven Slate Drums sale (they sound real darn good) and the plug in is working fine in DP 9.01 under 10.11.1. So, it works along with all the Slate Digital processors. I may have to slide back to 10.10.5 when the Raven arrives, but I am coming to doubt it.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

HCMarkus wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:
Ewe jokester ewe!
Lamb sakes! Those are some big horns!

:unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

"Wait... I had something for this...." - Sterling Archer
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Mike - these are the main points in the e-mail so you may be okay:
Thanks for that update. It does look like I'm ok. Let's hope they get it fixed soon for everyone else.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Is anyone using Wallander Instruments with El Capitan?
I can't find anything about it, pro or con. I still haven't switched, but this might be the thing that decides for me, if it's working.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I'm simply pretending it doesn't exist for now (El Cap).

Did the same for Yosemite and am still on Mav .2. I really should go to .4 or .5 'though, assuming the "Finder-needs-to-be-relaunched-in-order-to-be-able-to-drag-links-or-pics-from-Safari-to-the-desktop-or-any-window" bug was fixed...

Default position taken: Mike?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Geez, I was always the first one to jump in. Now I'm reluctant to change. I guess after too many thousands of dollars spent, lost, and spent again, I'm seeing the light. "Look before you leap."

But I'm just not finding info on whether or not Wallander works with El Cap. I guess that could be seen as a good thing. If it were not working, there would be a lot of disgruntled people right now.

Or not.

Shoosh
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

monkey man wrote:I'm simply pretending it doesn't exist for now (El Cap).

Did the same for Yosemite and am still on Mav .2. I really should go to .4 or .5 'though, assuming the "Finder-needs-to-be-relaunched-in-order-to-be-able-to-drag-links-or-pics-from-Safari-to-the-desktop-or-any-window" bug was fixed...

Default position taken: Mike?
Do you (or any DP user) need El Cap? Probably not although I, too, have noticed a performance boost. I would certainly run the 10.10.5 combo updater and repair permissions.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1832?locale=en_US

If booting from an SSD, enable TRIM by running sudo trimforce enable in Terminal.

I use some of the other features in OS 10.11, especially those that let me communicate with my iPhone and iPad easily.

The only apps that don't work properly for me are the same ones that stopped working in OS 10.7 (a few of those came back in 10.8.2). Now that Finale 2014d works in 10.11.2 that is...
taka

Post by taka »

I tried 10.11.3 yesterday to see if, after 4 full months since its release, all my plug-ins etc are ready for El Capitan..

Well, almost everything was OK, except Slate Digital plug-ins, especially VMR.. When changing parameters in VMR, cursor gets stuck for a few seconds (sometimes with beachball) and then jumps to a new value.. Also VMR and VTM especially take very long time to open and close their windows (audio is cut off during that process)....

As I use these plug-ins in pretty much all mixes I do, I reverted back to Yosemite from Time Machine backup.

One good thing happened, though. My newly restored Yosemite is much Snappier than before! The restore process seems to have gotten rid of quite a lot of garbage accumulated in the last few years too-- (The Used Disk Space went down by almost 10G).

So yes, I'm sticking to my fresh, snappy Yosemite for now :-)
DP11.3, OS 13.6.3, Mac Mini 2018 6 core 3.2GHz i7 32GB RAM
Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, GRM Tools, Audio Ease etc etc..
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

taka wrote:Well, almost everything was OK, except Slate Digital plug-ins, especially VMR.. When changing parameters in VMR, cursor gets stuck for a few seconds (sometimes with beachball) and then jumps to a new value.. Also VMR and VTM especially take very long time to open and close their windows (audio is cut off during that process)....

As I use these plug-ins in pretty much all mixes I do,
I use a lot of VMR these days.. honestly I've never been so afraid to try an OS update. I have a really complex system, as most of you do, and I never hear about anything that makes it super-cool-gotta-have, just all the hardware and software it breaks..

I may have to sit on Yosemite for a long time like I did with Snow Leopard. :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.