DP not selecting showing correct Chunk when switching views.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JLEpperson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP not selecting showing correct Chunk when switching views.

Post by JLEpperson »

I will select a chunk in the track window and it is the correct chunk, but when i go to mixer view it jumps to previous used chunk in the view. The tracks view is correct and play the correct chunk. When i change views, how do i get DP to follow the selected chunk? is it a setting?
Thanks
JE
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP not selecting showing correct Chunk when switching vi

Post by Shooshie »

Probably the most consistent ways to change chunks is just using the Chunks window. I was not aware that changing in the Tracks Window can leave the mixing board behind, but I'm pretty sure that if you change chunks in the Chunks Window, all windows will change accordingly.

If that's not happening, use Consolidated Windows. What version of DP are you using? What OS?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

Sadly, I can report that this happens when using the Consolidated Window and changing using the Chunks Window. It's happened to me dozens and dozens of times over the years. I've just trained myself to always check to make sure the windows have all changed to the Chunk I have selected.
I'm on DP 8 on Mac OS X 10.10.5 but as I said, it's been happening for several years on multiple DP and OS X versions.
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

MartinBaird wrote:Sadly, I can report that this happens when using the Consolidated Window and changing using the Chunks Window. It's happened to me dozens and dozens of times over the years. I've just trained myself to always check to make sure the windows have all changed to the Chunk I have selected.
Yeah, a pretty annoying bug that is occuring every once in a while for me as well. I don't even remember the first time I experienced it. I've got used to it but I'm not sure that's the best workaround :wink:
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I remember it happening in DP4, 5, & 6, or thereabouts. And occasionally it still happens, but only when I've got two of the same window opened. For example, if I have two Sequence Editors opened, it may change sequences in one of them, but the other will still be the active sequence, so you have to look for the cursor to be sure you've got the right one going. But that only happens about once ever month or two. At least, for me.

There was a time when it happened a LOT. So much that I'd be editing in one chunk, but it was applying my edits in another. That was about DP4 or 5. That's all been fixed, as far as I can tell.

But the occasional extra open window can cause problems, if that window is Tracks or Sequence. I have not seen an extra mixing board. Ever, really.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

Invoking a Window Set fixes this here. AFAIK, changing the active Sequence Chunk in the Chunks window updates the edit windows but there may be a preference for the behavior. (Not in front of DP tight now) you can have, for example, TOs from 2 chunks visible at the same time by using the pull down menu as you describe, but only the one from the active chunk will be active.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I guess I see your point. I've been thru this many times, too.

In my case, it was always related to some *object* selected in previous view.

So, I've learned to *deselect all* thru Cmd+D prior any chunk change.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

daniel.sneed wrote:In my case, it was always related to some *object* selected in previous view.

So, I've learned to *deselect all* thru Cmd+D prior any chunk change.

Good point.
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

I'm having this problem too. (DP version 9.01, OS 10.10.5). Consolidated windows.

I got used to having issues when changing using the pop-up menus (some panes change to the new chunk, others don't, sometimes it shows the new chunk but plays the old one), so I stopped using those.

The Project:Sequences:[ChunkName] menu is usually more reliable. But now often THAT doesn't work. Clicking on "Play" in the Chunks subwindow to change chunks has the same problems.

The usual bug is that when I change to a new chunk, it changes from the Sequence pane in my current chunk to the to the Tracks and Mixing Board windows in the new Chunk. Then when I select the Sequence tab for the new chunk, it shows the Sequence window for the previous chunk.

Once it changed to the mixing board with the previous chunk title in the submenu for the Mixing Board pane, and all of the sliders in the mixing board had vanished: just blank channel strips.

Is it wrong to want all windows and panes to change to the chunk I'm working on? Is there preference setting for this?
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
magicd

Post by magicd »

If there is a current selection made in any chunk, switching windows in the Consolidated window will open the new window in the Chunk where the selection is made. Command-D will Deselect All, and therefore when switching windows you'll stay in the currently enabled chunk.

A similar behavior involves which tracks are displayed when you switch to the Mixer. If any tracks are selected when switching to the mixer, those are the tracks that will be displayed. If no tracks are selected, the mixer will display whatever was visible the last time the mixer was open.

Dave
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

So Deselect before changing chunks and this won't happen?

Hallelujah, finally know why.. and it's not a years-old bug like I thought it was.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

I've always been confused why this happened but I guess I understand the potential use, as magicd mentioned, of having a sequence selection determine which window is shown.

I'd really like a setting that no matter what I have selected or not selected, when I open/re-open the mixer window in consol.trks., it shows all tracks in the mixer. Not sure why, I just want that setting and having to go back to track selector sidebar drives me nuts.
fmullermotu

Post by fmullermotu »

I have experienced what I think may be similar to this. I use DP 9.01 for live performance. All songs in the sets are set up as chunks. When I choose the chunk for a song DP sends patch changes to hardware modules, access VI's in Vracks, and makes adjustments to the mixer to suit that song. If I have the mixing board open when I select another chunk, there is a significant delay between when I select it, and when the mixing board is updated. (5 seconds or more). I have noticed that the patch changes, etc are sent immediately, but the mixing config takes some time. I have tried the "deselect" and it makes no difference. If I do not have the mixing board displayed, the changes are reflected immediately.

Any ideas???
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

fmullermotu wrote:[...] If I do not have the mixing board displayed, the changes are reflected immediately.[...]
I tend to let as few windows opened as needed for live shows.
That is to say, Transport panel, Counter, and that's all.
DP will be much more responsive.

BTW, I set counter to maximum size, and to display markers.
I insert a marker, with significant chunk name, at each chunk start.
I can read the names from the opposite side of stage in some cases.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...