Keeping groups in a new sequence

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
RodneySauer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Keeping groups in a new sequence

Post by RodneySauer »

I have a workflow that uses groups for various instruments and takes. I was hoping to improve organization of my projects by placing each piece of music in its own Sequence. But when I select the tracks and choose "Copy to new Sequence," all of the grouping information is lost -- the new Sequence doesn't have the groups, which makes mixing and editing difficult unless I go through the whole process of setting up the groups again. Is there anyway to preserve groups while creating a new Sequence?

Thanks.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
stubbsonic

Re: Keeping groups in a new sequence

Post by stubbsonic »

This is just off the top of my head, but you could try duplicating the chunk, then deleting everything else.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

Thanks! "Duplicate Sequence" in the Chunks popup menu seems to work for this. Unfortunately, Duplicate Track Layout does not (it makes the tracks just fine, but loses all grouping information). So thanks for the tip. I'll have to duplicate a sequence and then delete everything in it.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Duplicate Tracks Layout is strictly for that. It doesn't add any data to what is duplicated. Groups would fall under the category of data. I guess it's a fuzzy line, since technically tracks and Auxes also fall under the category of data, since the user adds them at will. MOTU made the call; I can see their logic, but sometimes I wish we had a checkoff dialog for what things we want duplicated.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

Shooshie wrote:Duplicate Tracks Layout is strictly for that. It doesn't add any data to what is duplicated. Groups would fall under the category of data. I guess it's a fuzzy line, since technically tracks and Auxes also fall under the category of data, since the user adds them at will. MOTU made the call; I can see their logic, but sometimes I wish we had a checkoff dialog for what things we want duplicated.

Shooshie
Yes. I like to keep certain bunches of tracks grouped (most obvious for drum sets, but strings etc.) so I would like to keep those groups in new sequences. But I do realize that I use a non-standard work flow, so I shouldn't be surprised to run into features I want that aren't quite supported.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com