Stop transport will not send MIDI OFF

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stop transport will not send MIDI OFF

Post by rockman413 »

hi there,
I don't know if this is a bug or not, sometimes I press space to stop, everything will be off, but sometimes I stop, DP will not send MIDI-off info to sampler...(I use a MIDI monitor to check that I see no MIDI at all coming when I press stop)

I've read the manual and I know we can stop all sounding (cmd1), but shouldn't DP send out MIDI-off info when stopped?
I've searched the forum and it seems in DP6,7,8 have these problems, and now we're in 9....
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
musicman691

Re: Stop transport will not send MIDI OFF

Post by musicman691 »

rockman413 wrote:hi there,
I don't know if this is a bug or not, sometimes I press space to stop, everything will be off, but sometimes I stop, DP will not send MIDI-off info to sampler...(I use a MIDI monitor to check that I see no MIDI at all coming when I press stop)

I've read the manual and I know we can stop all sounding (cmd1), but shouldn't DP send out MIDI-off info when stopped?
I've searched the forum and it seems in DP6,7,8 have these problems, and now we're in 9....
This isn't a DP issue per se but has to do with the particular vi and patch in use. Several Arturia vi's on several patches won't stop playing when transport is stopped.
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

musicman691 wrote:
rockman413 wrote:hi there,

This isn't a DP issue per se but has to do with the particular vi and patch in use. Several Arturia vi's on several patches won't stop playing when transport is stopped.
The problem is : when I experience this, I keep meeting this questions unless I quit DP and restart DP again, then everything is fine... Any idea which part could be wrong?
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

When I've run into this in the past and CMD-1 didn't work, I'd whack the MIDI track into record mode and hit my keyboard (controller) with my arm from fingertips to elbow, thus sending 2 and a half octaves worth of MIDI note-on and note-off commands; I'd naturally centre the note spread over the problem area. It's dirty but it's quick, just like a typical MonkeyLabs™ clean-up job.

If you know exactly which notes are sounding and there aren't too many, obviously you could just retrigger them individually (manually, but not in as holus-bolus a fashion as the Monkster in full flight).

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

rockman413 wrote: The problem is : when I experience this, I keep meeting this questions unless I quit DP and restart DP again, then everything is fine... Any idea which part could be wrong?
Let me repeat - this isn't a DP problem per se. I'll get stuck notes in ProTools 11.3.1. Usually it's the same vi's that do it in both daws - Arturia's ARP2600 is one off the top of my mind that does it. What can make it happen is when you hit stop and several notes are playing. Some vi's don't like that.
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

musicman691 wrote:
rockman413 wrote: The problem is : when I experience this, I keep meeting this questions unless I quit DP and restart DP again, then everything is fine... Any idea which part could be wrong?
Let me repeat - this isn't a DP problem per se. I'll get stuck notes in ProTools 11.3.1. Usually it's the same vi's that do it in both daws - Arturia's ARP2600 is one off the top of my mind that does it. What can make it happen is when you hit stop and several notes are playing. Some vi's don't like that.
I got your point. My point is: I keep my eye on kontakt to see if there's any MIDI signal cominging into the kontakt patches, and when DP tranport stop (I press spacebar), sometimes I see MIDI signal, sometimes there is no MIDI signal (no MIDI off) coming into kontakt.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

rockman413 wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
I got your point. My point is: I keep my eye on kontakt to see if there's any MIDI signal cominging into the kontakt patches, and when DP tranport stop (I press spacebar), sometimes I see MIDI signal, sometimes there is no MIDI signal (no MIDI off) coming into kontakt.
You have something else going on then because I've not had any issue with Kontakt 5 (latest version). A thought occurs - do you have any sustain events in the MIDI? Stopping before sustain stops can cause the issue you're seeing. Although I must say DP is way better than ProTools in this regard.
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Stop at the middle of sustain notes cause the exact problem! However, when I meet this, I quit and re-open DP, even I stop at the middle of sustain notes, the problem is gone! Is this a BUG?
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

You have something else going on then because I've not had any issue with Kontakt 5 (latest version). A thought occurs - do you have any sustain events in the MIDI? Stopping before sustain stops can cause the issue you're seeing. Although I must say DP is way better than ProTools in this regard.[/quote]
Using Cubase and stop in the middle of sustain, do not let the instruments sound hang...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

This is commonly referred to as the "stuck notes bug." It's not really a bug, because it is dependent on setup conditions, plugins, VIs, and/or drivers. Usually it's the MIDI driver that causes it. Jack says that certain VIs are causing it. I'll believe that, too, but I don't have those VIs, so I can't prove either way.

Are you using a 3rd party MIDI interface? If so, you might see if it is normally considered compatible with all DAWs, and if it is up to date for your current OS.

There are apparently other ways of causing it, but I don't know what they are. The only one I ever proved was a problem was the MIDI driver, and replacing it with a more compatible driver fixed it in 100% of the cases at that time. But lots of people have reported getting stuck notes, and their equipment and drivers are up to date. That would suggest that it's a plugin. It may have to do with other things, too, such as using a user-stored template to start a song. Templates used to cause some strange behaviors, but that was over 10 years ago. I haven't heard of it lately. It's worth checking to see if the problem happens if you DON'T use a template.

So, try duplicating your mix, then creating a new, blank mix. (Duplicate it first, so that you don't lose what you've got) A blank mix has no plugins, so you can test to see if the problem still occurs without plugs.

My money would bet that it's the MIDI driver. I can't be sure of that. Stuck Notes seem to happen to some people and not to others. I'm one of the "others." I never get stuck notes. If I knew why, I'd tell you, but I really don't. One of those mysteries of using complex software.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:This is commonly referred to as the "stuck notes bug." It's not really a bug, because it is dependent on setup conditions, plugins, VIs, and/or drivers. Usually it's the MIDI driver that causes it. Jack says that certain VIs are causing it. I'll believe that, too, but I don't have those VIs, so I can't prove either way.

Are you using a 3rd party MIDI interface? If so, you might see if it is normally considered compatible with all DAWs, and if it is up to date for your current OS.

There are apparently other ways of causing it, but I don't know what they are. The only one I ever proved was a problem was the MIDI driver, and replacing it with a more compatible driver fixed it in 100% of the cases at that time. But lots of people have reported getting stuck notes, and their equipment and drivers are up to date. That would suggest that it's a plugin. It may have to do with other things, too, such as using a user-stored template to start a song. Templates used to cause some strange behaviors, but that was over 10 years ago. I haven't heard of it lately. It's worth checking to see if the problem happens if you DON'T use a template.

So, try duplicating your mix, then creating a new, blank mix. (Duplicate it first, so that you don't lose what you've got) A blank mix has no plugins, so you can test to see if the problem still occurs without plugs.

My money would bet that it's the MIDI driver. I can't be sure of that. Stuck Notes seem to happen to some people and not to others. I'm one of the "others." I never get stuck notes. If I knew why, I'd tell you, but I really don't. One of those mysteries of using complex software.

Shooshie
Thanks! will try. However, I witnessed that there're no MIDI message(note off) coming in into the kontakt patches when I stop at the middle of sustain notes
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Then please, dont stop in the middle of a sustained
note. Really simple.

I repeat...do not stop DP transport in the middle
of a sustained note.

Should I repeat this again?

Do not stop transport in the middle of a
sustained note.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

David Polich wrote:Then please, dont stop in the middle of a sustained
note. Really simple.

I repeat...do not stop DP transport in the middle
of a sustained note.

Should I repeat this again?

Do not stop transport in the middle of a
sustained note.
Good advice but as I wrote earlier DP is a lot better at not having stuck notes, unlike ProTools 11. And unless you're watching the event list you're not going to know if you're in the middle of a sustained note or not (assuming you're talking about working in playback mode and not record mode).