Waves introduces new licensing system - beware

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Waves introduces new licensing system - beware

Post by David Polich »

Surprised to see no mention of it here - maybe I missed someone's post...anyway, Waves has
ditched their Waves License Center (WLC) in favor of a new system called Waves Central. If you are a Waves user you should have received the email about it.

Judging from various forums on the web, it is not a good idea to upgrade to Waves Central right now, unless you are going to buy new Waves plug-ins, in which case you will have to because the old WLC is no longer supported. If you have no plans for new Waves plug-ins, you don't have to do anything right now, your Waves plugs will continue to work.

Apparently, Apple's newest security implementations prevent the Waves Cetral app from opening. There is a workaround, here it is:

Goto System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall and unlock it

Select Firewall Options, add Waves Central to "Allow Incoming Connections"

Close the System Preferences

You should be able to keep your security settings as normal and it will run. If you have issues getting this to work for you, try doing the following step first, because that's basically what I did to get it working.

Goto System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General and select the "Anywhere" option

Run the app, make sure it connects fine.

Quit, follow the steps mentioned earlier

Change your security settings back to their default and close the System Preferences.

Waves Central supposedly allows you to now download individual plug-ins instead of having to download the entire Waves installer, and it allows you to create offline backups of installers. This is a plus. On the minus side, The WC app doesn't at the moment remember login details, and Waves plugs now run sluggishly in Logic 9, which Waves no longer supports at all.

Personally I'm going to wait until I have to renew my WUP to move to Waves Central.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Waves introduces new licensing system - beware

Post by labman »

Thank you David. I appreciate the heads up. Just minutes ago, I was discussing the email with our engineer. We also will wait till we WUP.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Apparently supposedly judging from various forums.....

It opened and ran fine here under 10.10.5, and I haven't changed security settings in any way.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
billf

Post by billf »

David Polich wrote:Waves has
ditched their Waves License Center (WLC) in favor of a new system called Waves Central. If you are a Waves user you should have received the email about it.
According to the Release Notes, there are some feature updates too:
October 25th, 2015
  • The new Waves Central: one-stop plugin installation and activation systemAcross the board release of all Waves plugins V9.6
    Sidechain support for VST 2.4
    New Copy/Paste preset feature – between plugins and/or StudioRack
    Fixes to various activation related bugs
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'm not in need of renewing my WUP yet, but I probably won't hesitate when it comes time. There have been similar moves by iLok (Pace), Vienna, and others, and while I balked at first just because of the change in familiarity, I ended up liking it a lot better once I figured out how to use them. The key is keeping track of everything, upgrading the apps regularly (or at least before you use them again), and making sure you remember your password. Write it down or put it in a password vault, but that's really no different than the online versions; everything has a password, anyway.

As long as it doesn't try to force us into a subscription based thing, I'll be fine. I have two problems with subscription-based anything. One is price, of course, but the other is sheerly the administrative time it requires. I've bought Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator outright several times, plus a couple for my kids, which is incredibly expensive, and now Adobe wants me to go on a subscription plan so that I can just continue to send them money as long as I live, I suppose. Anyway, I'd just rather pay for it and forget about it. I use Waves plugins a lot, but also a lot less than I did 10 years ago. I'm down to about 3 mainstay Waves plugins, though I've got about 60 of them, not counting different versions of the same plugins. If Waves ever starts up with the subscription stuff, I'll probably go to my other options and finally drop the Waves investment.

But the manager app is fine with me. f

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Not having to download the whole friggin' library to add one new plug is welcome news.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

HCMarkus wrote:Not having to download the whole friggin' library to add one new plug is welcome news.
:lol:

It sure is.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

David Polich wrote:Surprised to see no mention of it here - maybe I missed someone's post...anyway, Waves has

Judging from various forums on the web, it is not a good idea to upgrade to Waves Central right now, unless you are going to buy new Waves plug-ins, in which case you will have to because the old WLC is no longer supported. If you have no plans for new Waves plug-ins, you don't have to do anything right now, your Waves plugs will continue to work.

Apparently, Apple's newest security implementations prevent the Waves Cetral app from opening. There is a workaround, here it is:

Goto System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall and unlock it

Select Firewall Options, add Waves Central to "Allow Incoming Connections"

Close the System Preferences

You should be able to keep your security settings as normal and it will run. If you have issues getting this to work for you, try doing the following step first, because that's basically what I did to get it working.

Goto System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General and select the "Anywhere" option

Run the app, make sure it connects fine.

Quit, follow the steps mentioned earlier

Change your security settings back to their default and close the System Preferences.

Waves Central supposedly allows you to now download individual plug-ins instead of having to download the entire Waves installer, and it allows you to create offline backups of installers. This is a plus. On the minus side, The WC app doesn't at the moment remember login details, and Waves plugs now run sluggishly in Logic 9, which Waves no longer supports at all.

Personally I'm going to wait until I have to renew my WUP to move to Waves Central.
Is this for just the latest version of Yosemite or does this pertain to Mavericks and Mountain Lion as well? I turn off sandboxing and firewalls as a rule anyways in OSX and depend on my router's capabilities.
billf

Post by billf »

musicman691 wrote: Is this for just the latest version of Yosemite or does this pertain to Mavericks and Mountain Lion as well? I turn off sandboxing and firewalls as a rule anyways in OSX and depend on my router's capabilities.
Here are the system requirements http://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs ... quirements
Mac
CPU
Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7

RAM
4 GB

Operating System
10.10.5 - 10.11
10.8.5 for Pro Tools 10 TDM Only

Screen Resolution
Minimum: 1024x768
Recommended: 1280x1024 / 1600x1024
USB displays are not supported as the primary display.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

billf wrote:
musicman691 wrote: Is this for just the latest version of Yosemite or does this pertain to Mavericks and Mountain Lion as well? I turn off sandboxing and firewalls as a rule anyways in OSX and depend on my router's capabilities.
Here are the system requirements http://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs ... quirements
Mac
CPU
Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7

RAM
4 GB

Operating System
10.10.5 - 10.11

Screen Resolution
Ouch - that hurts. Wonder why they skipped OSX 10.9.5? PT11.3.1 isn't supported in OSX 10.10.4 or above. And I can't afford to lose PT11 right now so I guess it's no more Waves for me. :( :(
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

musicman691 wrote:
billf wrote:
Mac
CPU
Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7

RAM
4 GB

Operating System
10.10.5 - 10.11

Screen Resolution
Ouch - that hurts. Wonder why they skipped OSX 10.9.5? PT11.3.1 isn't supported in OSX 10.10.4 or above. And I can't afford to lose PT11 right now so I guess it's no more Waves for me. :( :(
If the reason is security, that's your answer and it makes perfect sense.
If you have no plans for new Waves plug-ins, you don't have to do anything right now, your Waves plugs will continue to work.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

labman wrote:Thank you David. I appreciate the heads up. Just minutes ago, I was discussing the email with our engineer. We also will wait till we WUP.
That brings up something - what happens when one's WUP is up for renewal? If we pay the WUP fee do we have to go to the new Waves s/w?

This just when I had enough liquid funds to get the SSL collection.
billf

Post by billf »

musicman691 wrote:That brings up something - what happens when one's WUP is up for renewal? If we pay the WUP fee do we have to go to the new Waves s/w?
WUP does not automatically update your installed software, rather it extends your access to the latest versions. IOW, if you don't pay WUP, you're locked in to whatever installed version you have. Once you pay your WUP fee, then you can update if you so desire.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

billf wrote:
musicman691 wrote:That brings up something - what happens when one's WUP is up for renewal? If we pay the WUP fee do we have to go to the new Waves s/w?
WUP does not automatically update your installed software, rather it extends your access to the latest versions. IOW, if you don't pay WUP, you're locked in to whatever installed version you have. Once you pay your WUP fee, then you can update if you so desire.
I understand that but what's to stop Waves from forcing one to go to the new license s/w when an update is available and downloaded? IOW - you want the new version you have to get the new license s/w?
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Installed Waves Central here. No issues.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com