Waves introduces new licensing system - beware

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waves introduces new licensing system - beware

Post by David Polich »

musicman691 wrote:
billf wrote:
musicman691 wrote:That brings up something - what happens when one's WUP is up for renewal? If we pay the WUP fee do we have to go to the new Waves s/w?
WUP does not automatically update your installed software, rather it extends your access to the latest versions. IOW, if you don't pay WUP, you're locked in to whatever installed version you have. Once you pay your WUP fee, then you can update if you so desire.
I understand that but what's to stop Waves from forcing one to go to the new license s/w when an update is available and downloaded? IOW - you want the new version you have to get the new license s/w?
If you want any upgrade or any new plug-in from Waves, then yes, you're "forced" to move to the new licensing system. There is no other way to do it.

Aside from the niggle with the Waves Central app install (and having to enter your login details every time you open it), there is nothing really wrong with it. In fact it's basically the old WLC with a new skin.

If you are happy with the Waves plugs you have and have no plans for new ones (like me), then you don't have to do anything, your plugs will continue to work.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

David Polich wrote:
If you want any upgrade or any new plug-in from Waves, then yes, you're "forced" to move to the new licensing system. There is no other way to do it.

Aside from the niggle with the Waves Central app install (and having to enter your login details every time you open it), there is nothing really wrong with it. In fact it's basically the old WLC with a new skin.

If you are happy with the Waves plugs you have and have no plans for new ones (like me), then you don't have to do anything, your plugs will continue to work.
Confirmed via a support ticket I raised with Waves Support. What I'm still trying to get ironed out is OSX 10.9 support. In the email I got from support I was told that Waves Central (I'd say WC but to our non-US members that has another meaning :mrgreen: ) would work in Mavericks but was also told in another part of that same email that plugins installed via the new s/w might work. As soon as I get an answer back clarifying this I'll post here.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Just heard back from Waves on my support ticket. What I was told is that Waves Central is officially supported and will work on OSX 10.8 and above. However the newest Waves v9.6 s/w is only officially supported on OSX 10.10 and above. Was also told the more or less standard line that although the v9.6 s/w might work perfectly fine on OSX 10.9 but because it was not tested on that version of OSX it cannot be officially supported. IOW not supported does not mean it won't work.