Control-Key Tips

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Control-Key Tips

Post by Shooshie »

In another thread someone pointed out that the Control-Key Proportional Drag is hard to find in the DP User Guide. It occurred to me that some people may not know these tips, so I'm dragging them out of the Tips Sheet and posting them here, just for your information. If you already know these tips, no need to read it again; but if you want a refresher on the Control Key, this may help. I'm not saying it's comprehensive, but there are several Control Key processes listed here.

Shooshie

••••••••••••CONTROL KEY TIPS••••••••••••
Category - MIDI Editing, Mixing
The PROPORTIONAL DRAG
"CONTROL-drag"
and other tricks accomplished with the CONTROL KEY
Works: MIDI Editor Window - Single or Multiple Tracks; Sequence Editor (appropriate layers)

The Control Key does many things in the MIDI Graphic Editing window:
First, Vertical and Horizontal Proportional Dragging:
  • 1) •••••• CONTROL-Compressing MIDI Velocities
    In the Control Point Lane at the bottom of the MIDI Editor, or in the Velocity or Control Point layers of the Sequence Editor, select your notes by dragging over the velocities. Grab the tallest "V" icon among the ones you selected. Hold down the CONTROL key for proportional dragging. Use the SHIFT key to contrain your movement only to the vertical. Drag up or down, and the entire selection will adjust proportionately, having the effect of compression or expansion of MIDI velocities.

Why is this useful?

Because when you change patches, almost invariably the response envelope will be different. In some patches, the "meat" of their dynamic response will be from about 10 to 30. Anything higher will not produce louder sound. In others, the working range may be 20 to 90. The Yamaha Disklavier, an actual MIDI'd grand piano, functions best between 30 and 98, with the average working range at 40 to 65. So, when you change patches, you have to adjust your velocities. You can do that with the Change Velocity plugin, but sometimes I prefer the visual of dragging the velocities, so I can see their relative loudness compared to other lines. This way, there is no guesswork.

Of course, it's also useful just to expand your dynamics. But that's obvious.

2) •••••• CONTROL-Rhythmic (Time) Augmentation and Diminution
    As described above, select the notes or continuous data icons you want to change, proportionately to each other. Hold down the CONTROL KEY, and use the SHIFT KEY to constrain it to horizontal motion, only. Drag the Velocity/CC icons horizontally, and the notes/events will move proportionally in time, augmenting their relative attack times, while retaining the same note-lengths. This is functionally different from "Scale Time" because note lengths are not altered.

Useful applications:
    1) fill up a predefined amount of space with an existing selection of notes or music.
    2) altering large amounts of Continuous Controller data that needs to fit a certain space
    3) Correcting rushed or dragged performance; you can quickly bring a rushed bar in time this way.
    etc.
•••••• CONTROL-Change arpeggio to chord, starting at same time
You have a full-keyboard arpeggio, and you changed your mind. You need all the notes to start together. Select them, hold down CONTROL, then drag the attack (left end of the notebar) of one of the notes to the left or right. Dragging to the left will extend all notes toward the beginning of the bar, making them all start together. Dragging to the right will shorten all notes, making them start together with the last of the notes selected.

•••••• CONTROL-Extend arpeggio, chord (or any notes) so that all notes cut off simultaneously
Select the notes, hold down CONTROL, and drag the CUT-OFFS (right end of the notebars) to the right. All notes will now cut off together wherever you leave them.

This is useful for any group of notes (arpeggio or not) which need to release together. It's a quick fix for a ragged cutoff.
________
Shooshie
----------------
----------------

•••••• Create Groups, Change Takes on Multiple Tracks Simultaneously
Works in: Tracks Overview Window plus Mixing Board
To create groups for performing operations such as switching takes on several tracks at a time, for instance, when recording multiple tracks at once:
  • 1) CONTROL-N in the mixing board,
    2) click on the tracks you want to group.
    3) Hit "RETURN."
    4) A dialog box pops up, and you select the actions you want to operate as a group.
    5) Choose "Switch Takes" in the dialog, and/or Create New Take, etc.
    6) Go to the Tracks Overview Window and change a take, and all tracks in that group will change their takes.

To turn off groups, CONTROL-COMMAND-G, or do it through the Track Groups window (Project Window)

Category: Setup
Moving Tracks in the Tracks Overview Window
Moving Multiple Tracks
Moving Tracks to Top of a Column or Folder
Move Selected Tracks to be Together

Works in: Tracks Overview Window
• Move track(s) up or down: Select a tracks or multiple tracks. Hold down the CONTROL key and press "Page Up" or "Page Down" to move your selection up or down by one line in a list. If there are gaps between the selected tracks, the selection moves up or down WITH the gaps "preserved" in place.
• Move selected track(s) to top/bottom of list or folder. Hold down the CONTROL key and press "home" or "end". If there are gaps between selected tracks, the gaps are preserved.
• Move selected tracks to be together: After selecting non-contiguous tracks you want to bring together, press OPTION-CONTROL HOME. The tracks will become contiguous in the list, beneath the top-most track of the selection. (Gaps in selection are eliminated)

• These commands are undo-able.

Category: Navigation
Zoom Levels in Editor windows, using keyboard
Works in: Graphic Editors
Many of the zoom commands involve the Control key. You can set three zoom levels in the edit windows, then zoom to those levels with keyboard commands. See the Mini-Menus under "Zoom."

Category: Playback, Mixing, Editing
Playing a Selection
Works in all Graphic Editors and Tracks Window
Select a few notes in a track, or some notes from several tracks which you want to hear.
To play, press CONTROL-SPACEBAR to hear them in context with all play-enabled tracks.
Press OPTION-SPACEBAR to hear them alone, without any other notes except those that are selected.

••••••••••••End of CONTROL KEY TIPS••••••••••••
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Control-Key Tips

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Excellent as always, my man. Thanks!!!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yes, thank you, ShooshMeister.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Shooshie wrote:In another thread someone pointed out that the Control-Key Proportional Drag is hard to find in the DP User Guide.
Excellent info! Thanks again!
I was inspired to go for a hunt in the manual, and I believe MOTU refers to "Proportional Drag" as "Scaling by Dragging", as described on page 383 of the DP9 manual. (p.379 DP8 manual).
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, Shooshie! Excellent services, as always.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Good stuff- thanks!!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cuttime wrote:
Shooshie wrote:In another thread someone pointed out that the Control-Key Proportional Drag is hard to find in the DP User Guide.
I was inspired to go for a hunt in the manual, and I believe MOTU refers to "Proportional Drag" as "Scaling by Dragging", as described on page 383 of the DP9 manual. (p.379 DP8 manual).
Thanks. I know I've seen it in the manual, but could not remember where or how.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Shooshie wrote:
cuttime wrote:
Thanks. I know I've seen it in the manual, but could not remember where or how.
There are a couple things like this that had me stumped for years embarrassingly enough.

The Control key will also edit MIDI to the quantize selection not just the duration but the beginning of the note as well, that's not really mentioned in the manual.

The term that MOTU use to describe the key command for quantization in the MIDI grid is 'edit resolution'. I didn't even know that key command existed and have requested it in threads here. :oops:

Definitely a thesaurus is a good tool for searching the manual IMO.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Michael Canavan wrote:Definitely a thesaurus is a good tool for searching the manual IMO.

:lol: I think that goes for any manual.

Shoosh
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Michael Canavan wrote:The term that MOTU use to describe the key command for quantization in the MIDI grid is 'edit resolution'. I didn't even know that key command existed and have requested it in threads here. :oops:

This is the way to snap attacks to the beat, but it doesn't really quantize anything except attacks. You can use it to quantize attacks if you don't mind changing their duration. IN other words, you can snap attacks to the beat with this command, but not notes. It will move the attack to the beat, thus quantizing the attack, but it does not shift an entire note, so it's not really quantizing notes, but changing their durations.

It's a nice tool to know about, but most people want the ability to snap notes to the grid, which is one of the most often requested features and criticized "shortcomings" of DP. It would be supremely easy for MOTU to allow us a keyboard command that would snap notes or selections to a grid, quantizing them rather than just moving them to the same position in the next or previous beat. I really do not know why they don't do that. I learned to work without that, but it would make some things so much easier, especially for people who are accustomed to that way of working. MOTU, if you read this, please add a feature to quantize selections to the beat or barline.

For the record:
• SNAP ATTACKS TO THE BEAT, aka, Quantize the attack:
  • • With the Edit Resolution Grid turned ON, hold down CONTROL and drag the attack of the note to the nearest beat.
    • If your grid is off, hold down CONTROL & COMMAND and drag the note to the beat.
I got excited the first time I found this, but when I reported it here, people were unimpressed; it's not really a "snap-to-grid" feature. But it IS a handy tool if you just keep it in mind for when you want those attacks moved to the grid.

Incidentally, without using the grid (Resolution Grid turned OFF), this is a great way to align attacks of a number of notes in a chord, even over multiple tracks in the MIDI Editor. Just select the notes you want to align, then hold the cursor over an attack until it turns into a hand for dragging attacks. NOW invoke the Control Key, then click and drag. All the notes will move to exactly the same point. Add the COMMAND key to align those attacks to the grid. This tip also appears in the first post of this thread.

Shooshie
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Selection Types:
Go to Preferences / Editing / Tools / Menu

DP does Range Selections and Event & Phrase Selection Only or All Selections by preference. You can set up a keyboard command to invoke each of the three choices. I use the [Numeric Keypad] to set up these shortcuts:
  • SHIFT-CONTROL-OPTION-[7] •••  both types of selections, which is my default way of working
    SHIFT-CONTROL-OPTION-[8] ••• Event & Phrase Selections Only
    SHIFT-CONTROL-OPTION-[9] ••• Range Selections Only
Let's examine how they work with MIDI and what you can do with them:
In the Sequence Editor, Range Selections Only is like using the I-Beam Selection Tool. It selects everything the cursor passes through, above and below the cursor. BUT... You can modify what you select in Range Selections Only mode:
  • • To select only the Notes layer.. Hold down CONTROL-OPTION while dragging. Control points will not be selected. I have not seen any change in selection when holding down only the Control Key.
Also in the Sequence Editor, when in Events & Phrase Selections Only:
  • • To select notes as if in Range Selection, but without the control points layer, hold down CONTROL while dragging.
    • To grab Notes and Controllers (All MIDI), as if in Range Selections, hold down CONTROL-OPTION while dragging.
And lastly, if you use All Selections as your preference, you can control what you select in the Sequence Editor using those same keys.
  • • To select individual notes or control points, use the pointer without a keyboard modifier.
    • To select NOTES as if in a Range Selection (selects notes even scrolled out of sight) hold down CONTROL while dragging.
    • To select NOTES and CONTROL POINTS, hold down CONTROL-OPTION while dragging.
These preferences work in the Tracks Overview, but they have a more subtle effect.
  • Event & Phrase Selection Only preference selects Phrases. (Phrases are DP-style "regions") Phrases may extend over barlines, so selecting a phrase will not necessarily have clean boundaries on beats. You have some control over how phrases are parsed by going to:
    Preferences / Editing / Tracks Overview / Phrase Settings / Break Phrases longer than X bars into Y measure phrases.
    • Selecting in the Tracks Overview with Range Selections Only as your preference will select bars, or cells, cleanly along their boundary lines.
    • When your selection tool preference is for All Selections, the Tracks Overview uses a three-way split to divide each cell into three layers: Top, Middle, and Bottom. Clicking the top or bottom acts as a range selection, while clicking in the middle layer of a cell selects the Phrase Outline.
    • Using the COMMAND key with a selection in the Tracks Overview enables you to select partial cells.
Currently, these selection modes seem to have no effect on the MIDI Edit Window. I thought they did, but they don't now, and maybe they never did. These days I find it hard to keep up with what is current, what has changed, what never was, and what is a bug!

Just a few more tips.

Shoosh