New Groove3 DP9 tutorial

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Groove3 DP9 tutorial

Post by Gravity Jim »

Ask and ye shall receive. Oh, ye of little faith.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
monkey man

Re: New Groove3 DP9 tutorial

Post by monkey man »

As a rare exception to the thread's title, I remember that when I speculated that more will follow, oh, between 6 months and a year ago, the general feeling here was that it wouldn't. The business case was argued and so on.

It's nice to see that my "naive" optimism wasn't misplaced. Good news indeed.

Thank you for the heads-up, Jim.

Oh, and here's the link, folks:

https://www.groove3.com/motu-training-v ... erformer-9

EDIT:

I can't help but point out that my proposition that in light of the fact that G3 already had the assets in place that covered DP up to the point in time of the debate and therefore only needed to add material covering the new stuff as it appeared, apparently (and miraculously, many would argue) hit the nail on the head. I said this in response to the business arguments on offer, suggesting that said assets made incremental, cheap-to-produce updates entirely feasible.

I remember the conversation quite well, so please, "ye of little faith", feel free to correct me on this one (tongue-in-cheek indulgence, I know LOL).

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Groove3 told me they make programming decisions based on customer requests. Keep that in mind: if there's something you want, speak up.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

While it's great that Groove 3 did this I don't think it's worth what they're asking for it (normally $35 US but available now for $25). There's basically nothing there that hasn't been covered already in the NAMM videos which are available for free on YouTube. Nothing in depth; just short 3 to 5 minute videos. Tatnall even says they're building off the DP8 videos on the beginning so as a stand-alone video one won't get help with using DP unless you also watch the DP8 videos.

If one has the yearly access plan to Groove 3 that's one thing and all you lose is the time watching the videos. But if you're going ala carte then you really need to watch the three DP videos and that isn't cheap. But I guess it's better than nothing considering DP's history of not having much on the way of third party learning materials available.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to bitch about it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The point of the post was not to promote Groove3 or discuss their pricing. It was to counter a discussion about other DAWs having their recent updates covered by Groove3, and a lot of supposition as to why that might be, consensus being that DP's user base wasn't worth their time. The truth is that Groove3 doesn't plan based on wild guesses about the market, but rather based on customer requests.

So... yeah. You may now return to standard online fora baseline behavior.
Jim Bordner

musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Gravity Jim wrote:I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to bitch about it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The point of the post was not to promote Groove3 or discuss their pricing. It was to counter a discussion about other DAWs having their recent updates covered by Groove3, and a lot of supposition as to why that might be, consensus being that DP's user base wasn't worth their time. The truth is that Groove3 doesn't plan based on wild guesses about the market, but rather based on customer requests.

So... yeah. You may now return to standard online fora baseline behavior.
So I posted my thoughts on it - big freakin' deal. What would this world be if there weren't a variety of viewpoints? Not everything Groove3 sells is perfect for everyone; sorry if I pointed that out. I wasn't taking any shots at you or anyone else. Negative reviews are just as valuable as positive ones (except if you're the people over at ProTools Expert who like everything they come across and never post adverse reviews).
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Groove 3 in general are a better deal when you subscribe rather than just buying individual tutorials.

Yes, the DP9 one is woefully short and doesn't expand on things much, but the DP8 ones are worth your time. Sorting through their tutorials some are incredibly great, the ones on PSP dynamics plug ins explain things very well, and some are way below most moderate to advanced users pacing or knowledge level.

IMO anyway the DP9 one should have been a combo introduction, and DP expanded tutorial for things the DP8 one couldn't get into, but I'm grateful Groove3 are paying attention to DP, as some companies seem to forget about it.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It is a pretty brief update. Less than an hour. Compare, for example to the Logic X updates. As for the price, that's ok. This is not the sort of thing you need to keep at your side for reference. It's something to look at when you have an everything subscription for a month.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Michael Canavan wrote:Groove 3 in general are a better deal when you subscribe rather than just buying individual tutorials.

Yes, the DP9 one is woefully short and doesn't expand on things much, but the DP8 ones are worth your time. Sorting through their tutorials some are incredibly great, the ones on PSP dynamics plug ins explain things very well, and some are way below most moderate to advanced users pacing or knowledge level.

IMO anyway the DP9 one should have been a combo introduction, and DP expanded tutorial for things the DP8 one couldn't get into, but I'm grateful Groove3 are paying attention to DP, as some companies seem to forget about it.
I've been on their yearly membership plan since they started offering it some time back. Well worth it when you consider you not only get access to all the existing stuff but the new stuff as well. And I like going back from time to time because there are times I need a refresher on something or I'm contemplating buying new software and I check it out via a tutorial on it (believe me that has saved me some money - more than what the yearly membership there costs).
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

My only reason for posting was that continued support from Groove3 is a thing, despite dire warnings of abandonment in other threads.

Everyone can decide for themselves as to the relative value of their offerings.

I don't know how to make it clearer than that.
Jim Bordner

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Your original post was perfectly clear.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Gravity Jim wrote:My only reason for posting was that continued support from Groove3 is a thing, despite dire warnings of abandonment in other threads.

Sure, but we all are entitled to our opinions. which you really didn't seam to support in your second post in this thread you must admit. I watched the entire tutorial, I do not think it's a good value to buy outright, only worth it if you have a subscription. I think it's worth mentioning that, as well as that most of us who have watched the DP8 tutorials think they're worth it. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Michael Canavan wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:My only reason for posting was that continued support from Groove3 is a thing, despite dire warnings of abandonment in other threads.

Sure, but we all are entitled to our opinions. which you really didn't seam to support in your second post in this thread you must admit. I watched the entire tutorial, I do not think it's a good value to buy outright, only worth it if you have a subscription. I think it's worth mentioning that, as well as that most of us who have watched the DP8 tutorials think they're worth it. :)
Exactly. The DP8 tutorials are what helped me get back into the DP game. The Groove 3 subscription is one of the best subscription deals out there. The gift that keeps on giving, in a good way :D