LANES!! I LOVE LANES!! And lamp....

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

LANES!! I LOVE LANES!! And lamp....

Post by amplidood »

Oh wow. I just started really utilizing lanes for the first time. Holy Bejeezus. This is going to speed up my flow by 100%. Assigned my own keystroke so my right hand stays on the mouse and I am FLYING around tracks doing pitch editing, volume/effect rides... holy crap.

They only thing that needs fixing is that volume needs to be allowed to be a data lane on aux tracks without having to go through the Insert menu. I'm just using the acutal aux track in the SE as a place holder and opening/closing lanes to edit things. I've got it worked around for now, but it would be nice to not have to jerry rig it.

Oh, and if we could turn off soundbite names, that'd be greeeeeeeeeeat.

Plus I finally upgraded all my main plugins so I can run full 64 bit. Holy crap. Happiness all around.
monkey man

Re: LANES!! I LOVE LANES!! And lamp....

Post by monkey man »

Awesome, Andy.

Still on DP8, but lanes are definitely something I'm looking forward to.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

monkey man wrote:Awesome, Andy.

Still on DP8, but lanes are definitely something I'm looking forward to.
Same here. Putting together a little early Christmas present for Dad. Upgrading RX Advanced and DP are the top priorities.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Great, Mike.

You deserve it from where I'm sittin', mate.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Okay. I'm not kidding. Lanes have completely altered the way I use the SE. I have everything arrange where I have a birdseye view. Wanna take a look at the pitch? Highlight, shift-A (my custom key) and there it is!! Now go away. Highlight, shift-A. Gone. Let's take a look at the automation for the lead vocal mix aux. Highlight, shift-A. Well there it all is!! Tweak, tweak, tweak. Now go away, Highlight, shift-A. It's absolutely amazing. I still have the TO for my big bird's eye view, but I am popping back and forth SO MUCH LESS. This is a *good* thing.

Thanks MOTU. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Andy, I confess that I haven't tried them yet, but I'll be mixing an album this week, so I'll surely be arriving at some of the same conclusions. In the meantime, check out this post in a thread I started about "control key tips." It gives you some shortcuts that enable a lot of quick selections that otherwise would require a lot of jumping around and effort. Just some key-mods for dragging over MIDI events in the Sequence Editor.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 15#p516315

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks for this thread!

I'm still on DP8. My day gig involves hours-per-day of volume automation and snip edits, back and forth, back and forth. Unfortunately there are no key combos that will switch the focus (what MOTU calls it) of a track in the SE from Soundbites to Volume and vice versa. You can click the top of the SB to get to Soundbite focus but there's no combo to get back to Volume focus so I have to navigate to the pull-down at the left and switch it there- over a hundred times a day.

I'm ignorant about lanes except what I've seen in Reason and the blurb on MOTU's site. Would lanes make it possible to have both Soundbite focus and Volume automation focus visible and editable at the same time for the same audio track? The next best option would be key combos to go back and forth from SB to Volume and back quickly. Will the lanes feature do any of this? It appears they might in looking at DP's site and if so I will upgrade immediately! I didn't really pay attention to this feature at DP9's release like I should have.
:shock:
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

I agree Andy. Lanes are truly revolutionary in terms of speed and sanity.

Its funny, even thought the spectrogram is now built in, out of habit I keep pulling up our old spectrogram third party plugs. Need to have a 'post it note' reminder attached to some of my neural paths.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

labman wrote:I agree Andy. Lanes are truly revolutionary in terms of speed and sanity.

Its funny, even thought the spectrogram is now built in, out of habit I keep pulling up our old spectrogram third party plugs. Need to have a 'post it note' reminder attached to some of my neural paths.
You're ahead of me. I've been editing projects all week, and I haven't even seen lanes yet. They're right there! I should be using them.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

philbrown wrote: I'm ignorant about lanes except what I've seen in Reason and the blurb on MOTU's site. Would lanes make it possible to have both Soundbite focus and Volume automation focus visible and editable at the same time for the same audio track? The next best option would be key combos to go back and forth from SB to Volume and back quickly. Will the lanes feature do any of this? It appears they might in looking at DP's site and if so I will upgrade immediately! I didn't really pay attention to this feature at DP9's release like I should have.
:shock:
Yes, that's the beautiful part. I can look at pitch and simultaneously make cuts and move things around. Of course, you have to be careful to never make cuts in the middle of pitch automation to avoid the dreaded pops that occur. Once you get your SE arranged and are able to open and close lanes to look at a track you will never be the same.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I placed my upgrade order yesterday. Got a project coming up. I can hardly wait!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

You can open the individual lanes with keyboard commands.

V = Volume
N = Pan.

The lanes themselves have a command, but you'll have to look it up. I forgot what it was.

Shooshie
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

The main problem I see with those commands is that they move those lanes down to the bottom of a set of lanes. If I have 3 or 4 going, the volume suddenly gets dropped to the bottom. Not cool.