AlphaTrack lives on in El Cap!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: AlphaTrack may live on in El Cap!! (Preliminary)

Post by mikehalloran »

had to Shut Down then Boot Up and press CMD+R then
That is how you do it.
Typed into Terminal csrutil disable; reboot. The Mac did reboot, so I can only assume SIP was disabled as well?
Yes.

Disabling SIP opens up a security hole. It's same one present in all previous versions of OS X so there is no fix for this. Well, actually, there is and it's to reenable SIP.

I found problems with older versions of some Adobe products. The fix was to disable SIP, reinstall then reenable SIP and I was fine. This can also reenable Soundflower depending on the exact version of the .kxt files you have installed—if you use the latest, it's not necessary.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=61722&p=525158&hil ... er#p525158
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
madtheory

Post by madtheory »

OK cool, so this needs to be changed:
James Steele wrote: Disable SIP by restarting your Mac, holding down Command + R to boot from the Restore volume.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

So you're saying a re-start won't let you get into the Restore volume? Only shutting down and powering on again?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
madtheory

Post by madtheory »

Yes.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote:So you're saying a re-start won't let you get into the Restore volume? Only shutting down and powering on again?
If you know when to hold down the Option key, you can make it work so I won't say it can't be done.

The way you are supposed to do it is to shut down first.

Option-R gets you right in. Option key gives you a choice of boot partitions/drives.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:
James Steele wrote:So you're saying a re-start won't let you get into the Restore volume? Only shutting down and powering on again?
If you know when to hold down the Option key, you can make it work so I won't say it can't be done.

The way you are supposed to do it is to shut down first.

Option-R gets you right in. Option key gives you a choice of boot partitions/drives.
Sounds good. I'll update the instructions.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James—Upgraded to El Cap and DP9.1 today. Followed your instructions and AplhaTrack works like a champ. Many thanks, once again, for figuring this out!

One question: By disabling SIP, was I disabling it just for that session (i.e. while I was installing AlphaTrack), or "forever"? The reason for my question: I have another piece of software (TotalFinder) which I'd like to be able to run, but requires a (different) SIP hack to run in El Cap.

Thanks again......
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:James—Upgraded to El Cap and DP9.1 today. Followed your instructions and AplhaTrack works like a champ. Many thanks, once again, for figuring this out!

One question: By disabling SIP, was I disabling it just for that session (i.e. while I was installing AlphaTrack), or "forever"? The reason for my question: I have another piece of software (TotalFinder) which I'd like to be able to run, but requires a (different) SIP hack to run in El Cap.

Thanks again......
As far as I know, disabling SIP is system-wide and it stays disabled until you turn it back on in the Terminal. (I don't remember how you do that again.) It also stays disabled even if you boot from another drive, AFAIK. So it's remembered in the NVRAM I guess?

FYI, the guy who initially updated the AlphaTrack Control Surface Bundle contacted me informing me he has a new version he's going to release that's compatible with El Cap. I've been having discussion with him and sent him a link to this topic. I also let him know that his old Control Surface Bundle seemed to be working okay and the biggest issue was that the original Frontier installer fails and won't install in El Cap. From what he's told me, he can fix that and also eliminate the need to disable SIP, so that would be nice for those worried about system security.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

As far as I know, disabling SIP is system-wide and it stays disabled until you turn it back on in the Terminal. (I don't remember how you do that again.) It also stays disabled even if you boot from another drive, AFAIK.
Correct.

The complete list of commands is here:
http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable- ... -mac-os-x/
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote:As far as I know, disabling SIP is system-wide and it stays disabled until you turn it back on in the Terminal. (I don't remember how you do that again.) It also stays disabled even if you boot from another drive, AFAIK. So it's remembered in the NVRAM I guess?
Thanks for the clarification.
James Steele wrote:FYI, the guy who initially updated the AlphaTrack Control Surface Bundle contacted me informing me he has a new version he's going to release that's compatible with El Cap. I've been having discussion with him and sent him a link to this topic. I also let him know that his old Control Surface Bundle seemed to be working okay and the biggest issue was that the original Frontier installer fails and won't install in El Cap. From what he's told me, he can fix that and also eliminate the need to disable SIP, so that would be nice for those worried about system security.
This would be great!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
madtheory

Post by madtheory »

For the record, I recently had to disable SIP again and do the install all over again. I also had to change the Security Preferences to allow apps from Anywhere (rather than the App Store) to avoid getting a dialogue box every time the machine booted, about the Alpha Track Launcher. I'm not sure what caused this. I'm on OS X 10.11.6 right now.

Also, is it OK to turn SIP back on after the install? Will AlphaTrack still work?

And James thanks again for providing the fix :)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

madtheory wrote:For the record, I recently had to disable SIP again and do the install all over again. I also had to change the Security Preferences to allow apps from Anywhere (rather than the App Store) to avoid getting a dialogue box every time the machine booted, about the Alpha Track Launcher. I'm not sure what caused this.
The installer is not signed properly—this gives you that message from Gatekeeer, part of Apple's Security panel. If the app is too old (pre OS 10.7) or the installer not properly compiled, you will get this.

I just posted in another thread about IK Multimedia compiling new installers for the Miroslav Philhrmonik 2 libraries update with these problems. The installers themselves are fine but they were zipped with a non-compliant utility that gave me all kinds of grief till they let me know what they had used.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Okay, well there is some good news on this front that I will post soon!

madtheory

Post by madtheory »

Thanks Mike, that makes sense.
James Steele wrote:Okay, well there is some good news on this front that I will post soon!
Looking forward to it!
James Steele
Site Administrator

AlphaTrack lives on in El Cap!!

Post by James Steele »

Okay... GOOD NEWS!! There is now a new installer (actually two installers: one for MacOS 10.6-10.8, and one for 10.9 and later) that will install an updated AlphaTrack driver and an updated 64-bit Digital Performer control surface bundle WITHOUT THE NEED TO DISABLE SIP!! This was done by the same developer who initially updated the DP control surface bundle. It took some work so he's charging $35. Please do not share the package with others after downloading, have them purchase their own. If we want to see continued maintenance on this so we can use our AlphaTracks long into the future, we want it to be worth his while.

Once you purchase the updated installers via PayPal, you'll receive an email with a link. I *enabled* SIP before installing and it worked just fine and AlphaTrack was working great after reboot.

Here's the link and some info from the page:

http://www.synclavier.com/AlphaTrackPlugin.html
A collaboration between Frontier Design Group and Synclavier Digital has created an updated version of the AlphaTrack Driver as well as the Control Surface Plug-in for Digital Performer®.

Version 1.4.1 of the AlphaTrack Driver now includes a signed kernel extension for use with Mac OS 10.9 or later. Two installers are provided, one for Mac OS 10-6 through 10-8 and one for Mac OS 10-9 and later. Each installer places all the required AlphaTrack Driver components on your computer and also installs the Digital Performer® Control Surface Plug-in.

Version 1.02 of the AlphaTrack Control Surface Plug-in for Digital Performer® is built for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Digital Performer®, including Digital Performer® 8 and 9. It requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 ("Snow Leopard") or later.

We also have an updated driver and plug-in for the Frontier Design Group TranzPort wireless DAW control.

This new version of the AlphaTrack Driver and Control Surface Plug-in for Digital Performer® is available for purchase and download from our Paypal On-Line Store for a cost of US $35.00. A download link is provided in your order confirmation email.