Trim Tool and MIDI

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Trim Tool and MIDI

Post by Shooshie »

Color me embarrassed, but I didn't know the Trim Tool has affected MIDI Controller data since DP8. Did you? I was just reading the manual, and I saw what looked like a diagram showing MIDI controller data under the Trim Tool heading. (Pages 315 - 316 in the DP9 manual; seems like it was 313 - 314 in the DP8 manual.)

I haven't even tried it yet, but it looks like a good thing. Not a magic panacea, I guess, but a little more powerful than the regular cursor for raising or lowering data points and lines. (Trimming) It will also scale selections or flatten them. That's nice for when you're editing with the Reshape Tool, but you don't want to reach up there and select the Scale operator from the menu. Just tap the / key, and start scaling by dragging up or down. Again, I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it really means "scaling," or just "raising and lowering." I presume it's a real scaling tool, or they wouldn't call it that. We'll see.

I hope MOTU will enable the Roll Tool and the Slip Tool for MIDI editing as well. How nice it would be to have a tool that easily rolls off the first or last few data points on a complicated instrumental attack or release. Or just to click in a MIDI selection (not just control points) and scroll it somewhere else.

But for now, I'm a little gladdened this morning at having discovered increased functionality in the Trim Tool. It will be fun to try it out!

Thanks, MOTU!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Trim Tool and MIDI

Post by labman »

Say WHAT! This requires some deeper research!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.