trim MIDI output field?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

trim MIDI output field?

Post by musicman691 »

Is it possible to trim/delete entries in the MIDI output field in an instrument track? I have a couple of entries that I'd like to remove. One is for IAC and the other is called 'unconfigured MIDI ports' relating to my MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVUSB. I know I can do some configuration via OSX audio/MIDI setup but these two entries don't show up there.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: trim MIDI output field?

Post by monkey man »

Hmm... I always thought that if you removed something from AMS, it no longer appeared in the drop-down list, Jack.

I wonder if it might help to remove it from DP's "MIDI bundle" area. You know the one - it appears after you click around in the appropriate tab (the right-most one?) in the bundles window. It's where you can load, for example, the default patch lists for, say, Roland ROMpler expansion boards.

I know. I too think it's hilarious that I've neither the terminology nor the recent experience to be more specific. I was almost knocked out today, whacking my head on a beam after the chair I was on tipped backwards; I was so stunned I couldn't get up for 45 seconds or so, and my head still hurts, so on this one occasion I'm tempted to play this card... but I won't. The truth is that I'm an ignorant fool.

Hope this helps, Jack. LOL

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

monkey man wrote:Hmm... I always thought that if you removed something from AMS, it no longer appeared in the drop-down list, Jack.

I wonder if it might help to remove it from DP's "MIDI bundle" area. You know the one - it appears after you click around in the appropriate tab (the right-most one?) in the bundles window. It's where you can load, for example, the default patch lists for, say, Roland ROMpler expansion boards.

I know. I too think it's hilarious that I've neither the terminology nor the recent experience to be more specific. I was almost knocked out today, whacking my head on a beam after the chair I was on tipped backwards; I was so stunned I couldn't get up for 45 seconds or so, and my head still hurts, so on this one occasion I'm tempted to play this card... but I won't. The truth is that I'm an ignorant fool.

Hope this helps, Jack. LOL
That's what I thought as well about removing stuff from AMS but not for these two instances as I've never had anything about them in AMS.

I'll have to check the MIDI bundle area and see what's there. I know I've removed stuff from there before so it might be worth a look again. I don't know if this means anything but the entry for IAC in the MIDI output field is italicized.

Hope you're okay and don't have to go to the hospital. Head injuries are nothing to take lightly. You might have a mild concussion.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Don't hesitate to seek care. If you get any concussion symptoms, don't waste any time getting medical attention!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I've had the same problem with MIDI inputs that were generated by another DAW which shall remain nameless. They show up as Bundles but I can't figure out how to get rid of them.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cuttime wrote:I've had the same problem with MIDI inputs that were generated by another DAW which shall remain nameless. They show up as Bundles but I can't figure out how to get rid of them.
Same here. Also, Waves somehow creates a couple inputs (or is it outputs?) that I can't get rid of.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:
cuttime wrote:I've had the same problem with MIDI inputs that were generated by another DAW which shall remain nameless. They show up as Bundles but I can't figure out how to get rid of them.
Same here. Also, Waves somehow creates a couple inputs (or is it outputs?) that I can't get rid of.

Shoosh
Not only Waves but some Blue Cat Audio generate MIDI inputs but that's by their design having something on one of their plugins controlled by an outside source to that plugin. Haven't seen that with Waves TG12345 or RS56.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Jack, italicised simply means "currently non-active". That is to say that the destination is "switched off".

Oh, yeah, don't worry guys. The headache went away after a few hours, and barre the nightmares last night and apparent over-sensitivity to music today, everything seems to be running at its usual sub-par level.

Oddly enough, I simply have to take great care. I haven't fallen over since before I was 21, for instance; yesterday's event was a first (chair tipping backwards) as I've always had something to grab onto in similar situations in the past. Admitting myself to hospital could easily prove a one-way trip due to my extreme sensitivity to toxins (poisons, drugs) and low-functioning immune system. I realised many years ago that nothing short of tattooing the requisite warnings all over my body would guarantee my safety in what for me amounts to the single most dangerous establishment I could possibly set foot in. I'll not debate this as that train left the station over 30 years ago; nothing could be more certain (in my case), and I don't want to detract from the thread's focus. Thank you ever so much, as always, for your unending empathy, guys.

Back to Jack: If it appears in the list, DP's aware of it. If it's italicised, it's active, so the trick is obviously to make DP unaware of it... somehow...

musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

monkey man wrote:Jack, italicised simply means "currently non-active". That is to say that the destination is "switched off".

Oh, yeah, don't worry guys. The headache went away after a few hours, and barre the nightmares last night and apparent over-sensitivity to music today, everything seems to be running at its usual sub-par level.

Oddly enough, I simply have to take great care. I haven't fallen over since before I was 21, for instance; yesterday's event was a first (chair tipping backwards) as I've always had something to grab onto in similar situations in the past. Admitting myself to hospital could easily prove a one-way trip due to my extreme sensitivity to toxins (poisons, drugs) and low-functioning immune system. I realised many years ago that nothing short of tattooing the requisite warnings all over my body would guarantee my safety in what for me amounts to the single most dangerous establishment I could possibly set foot in. I'll not debate this as that train left the station over 30 years ago; nothing could be more certain (in my case), and I don't want to detract from the thread's focus. Thank you ever so much, as always, for your unending empathy, guys.

Back to Jack: If it appears in the list, DP's aware of it. If it's italicised, it's active, so the trick is obviously to make DP unaware of it... somehow...
Good to hear your basically okay - would hate to lose you.

Back on topic - thanks for the explanation on the italicized; wasn't sure if that meant the same thing it does in PT. I checked the MIDI bundles tab like you mentioned and the only thing that are there are the three things that should be that are in OSX ams (my Motif 7, Moog Voyager rack mount and PolyEvolver rack mount synths). I can find nothing on the IAC business or the unconfigured MTPAVUSB business.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I appreciate the kind sentiment, Jack. Nightmares, a little emotionality and intermittent headaches have ensued, but the Monkey Train™ appears not to have been derailed, which of course is gratifying.

I wonder if a VI or another app could be "publishing" the data to DP.

Just a thought, Jack, but it might be worth firing up anything that could be a culprit and ensuring IAC is turned off for it.
Last edited by monkey man on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

monkey man wrote:I appreciate the kind sentiment, Jack. Nightmares, a little emotionality and intermittent headaches have ensued, but the Monkey Train™ appears not to have been derailed, which of course if gratifying.

I wonder if a VI or another app could be "publishing" the data to DP.

Just a thought, Jack, but it might be worth firing up anything that could be a culprit and ensuring IAC is turned off for it.
Got to worry about a fellow Footy fan :)
I found the remedy to IAC; it's built-in to OSX and is configured via OSX audio MIDI setup. Even though I had it turned off in the upper part of the window that configures IAC in the lower half of the window it was still showing one port to be used even though I never added one - must be a default. When I deleted that port that got rid of the iAC entry in DP. Now all I have to figure out is the unconfigured MTPAVUSB cables/ports thing and I'll be good to go.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Ha! Yeah, go the 'Pies.

That all sounds right, mate. If it's visible in the graphic overview, it'll appear in that drop-down list in DP. If it's connected to something and it's active (such as a h'ware MIDI interface's being switched on), it'll be non-Italianized.

Have a look for the ports in your list that you don't want. It could be that they're all on that "unconfigured" interface. If you're gonna configure it, then obviously this doesn't matter, but if not delete it. If you never switch an interface on, OSX won't be aware of its existence, it won't appear in the graphic overview. Once you do, it'll appear greyed out (and italicised in DP) from that point onwards unless you delete it (interface be gone) or switch it on again (hello, Italian-sized).

There ya go bro'. Nice little exercise in retitty-dunce-dancey. Let us know what happens, and take care mate.

musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

monkey man wrote:Ha! Yeah, go the 'Pies.

That all sounds right, mate. If it's visible in the graphic overview, it'll appear in that drop-down list in DP. If it's connected to something and it's active (such as a h'ware MIDI interface's being switched on), it'll be non-Italianized.

Have a look for the ports in your list that you don't want. It could be that they're all on that "unconfigured" interface. If you're gonna configure it, then obviously this doesn't matter, but if not delete it. If you never switch an interface on, OSX won't be aware of its existence, it won't appear in the graphic overview. Once you do, it'll appear greyed out (and italicised in DP) from that point onwards unless you delete it (interface be gone) or switch it on again (hello, Italian-sized).

There ya go bro'. Nice little exercise in retitty-dunce-dancey. Let us know what happens, and take care mate.
Some of the ports are on my MTPAVUSB (I only use 4 of the 8 MIDI ports and none of the other ports it has) and the other two ports are on the Avid 11 Rack I use as my audio interface. Even though I don't use the MIDI ports on the 11R I can't delete the interface in the MIDI section of AMS and the MTPAVUSB won't let me delete the unused ports. I've tried different things with that and still the ports show up.

And as wonderful as DP's Bundles are the MIDI section won't let me delete individual ports (the vertical entries) for a device.

I'm thinking I'll just have to live with it but it would be nice to not have a bunch of entries in the MIDI output list I would never use.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

A-ha!

AMS won't let you delete the 11R in the MIDI section 'cause you're using it for audio and it's therefore "activated". That's my guess anyway. Remember I suggested turning off what you're using and then deleting it / them in AMS? Well, if you can't turn something off, AMS is going to want to display it by default 'cause it's there (it sees it), and it therefore won't let you delete it. I'm going by memory here from long ago, but I think this is how it works.

Same deal with the MTP AV USB, 'cause you're using some of the ports, and it's therefore "registered" and activated.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to "clean up" the drop-down list, but AFAIK you can't. The only way to achieve a "clean" listing would be to use all ports on all active devices; that way everything listed would be relevant and available for selection. This is almost the situation I'm in as both my Express XTs are nearly fully hooked up.

Alternatively, you could shift, assuming you have enough free ports on the 11R, the MTP routing across to the MIDI side of it, switch the MTP off and delete it, but I suspect you've only a single port available, as is the case with most combined audio / MIDI interfaces... AFAIK.

Bummer, Jack. I feel ya bro'.

musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

monkey man wrote:A-ha!

AMS won't let you delete the 11R in the MIDI section 'cause you're using it for audio and it's therefore "activated". That's my guess anyway. Remember I suggested turning off what you're using and then deleting it / them in AMS? Well, if you can't turn something off, AMS is going to want to display it by default 'cause it's there (it sees it), and it therefore won't let you delete it. I'm going by memory here from long ago, but I think this is how it works.

Same deal with the MTP AV USB, 'cause you're using some of the ports, and it's therefore "registered" and activated.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to "clean up" the drop-down list, but AFAIK you can't. The only way to achieve a "clean" listing would be to use all ports on all active devices; that way everything listed would be relevant and available for selection. This is almost the situation I'm in as both my Express XTs are nearly fully hooked up.

Alternatively, you could shift, assuming you have enough free ports on the 11R, the MTP routing across to the MIDI side of it, switch the MTP off and delete it, but I suspect you've only a single port available, as is the case with most combined audio / MIDI interfaces... AFAIK.

Bummer, Jack. I feel ya bro'.
Thanks for the words of wisdom. 'Tis a shame one can't trim out unused ports. The 11R only has one set of MIDI ports and I need 4 sets right now - hence the MTPAVUSB. With the routings I want and need to do just daisy chaining everything won't work. Oh well - was worth a try mate.