Is there a switch to enable Multi-Procssor V.S. 1 core proce

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is there a switch to enable Multi-Procssor V.S. 1 core proce

Post by rockman413 »

Is there a switch to enable Multi-Processor V.S. 1 core processor?
If it's multi processor by default, then we need to disable multi-processors for kontakt.
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
monkey man

Re: Is there a switch to enable Multi-Procssor V.S. 1 core p

Post by monkey man »

As far as I'm aware, DP has always supported multiprocessors on Mac from the moment they hit the market. I don't think any other DAW can claim this. This automatic support is why there's no switch, to answer your question.

Now I have a question: Why does Kontakt require that you disable it?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

monkey man wrote:As far as I'm aware, DP has always supported multiprocessors on Mac from the moment they hit the market. I don't think any other DAW can claim this. This automatic support is why there's no switch, to answer your question.

Now I have a question: Why does Kontakt require that you disable it?
in Kontakt's manual it says if your host use multi processors, then it's better to diable multi cores in kontakt, as to aviod conflicts
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

My advice is to ignore that advice, mate. You've no option but to do so, anyway.

If VIs had issues with DP based on this criterion, MOTU would've given us the option to switch MP off.

cleamon

Post by cleamon »

rockman413 wrote:Is there a switch to enable Multi-Processor V.S. 1 core processor?
If it's multi processor by default, then we need to disable multi-processors for kontakt.
What kontakt is talking about is the Engine settings within the kontakt player itself --- NOT in the DAW. Once you load an instance of the player, go into the options panel, engine tab. There it is.
I've tried it off, and with multi-core, it doesn't seem to make any difference (with my setup). YMMV
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The rule in DP, regarding VIs and cores, is one instance of a VI uses one processor core. More than one VI may occupy the same core, but any given VI will not split its load across multi-cores. So, to take advantage of multiple cores with VIs, you should load any given instance of Kontakt or other library host so that it won't overload one core. There's a lot of leeway in that statement, depending on other factors such as buffer, number of tracks, and possibly other variables, so you have to look at your total CPU loading picture to see if you need to spread orchestral sections (for example) over multiple instances of Kontakt. Each instance can be shuttled by OS X to a different core, but (to my knowledge) no single instance can be spread around over multiple cores.

I hope that was clear. Sometimes I think we need more vocabulary for this stuff.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:The rule in DP, regarding VIs and cores, is one instance of a VI uses one processor core. More than one VI may occupy the same core, but any given VI will not split its load across multi-cores. So, to take advantage of multiple cores with VIs, you should load any given instance of Kontakt or other library host so that it won't overload one core. There's a lot of leeway in that statement, depending on other factors such as buffer, number of tracks, and possibly other variables, so you have to look at your total CPU loading picture to see if you need to spread orchestral sections (for example) over multiple instances of Kontakt. Each instance can be shuttled by OS X to a different core, but (to my knowledge) no single instance can be spread around over multiple cores.

I hope that was clear. Sometimes I think we need more vocabulary for this stuff.

Shoosh
Well, shooshie, do you mean we should turn the multicore support in Kontakt on or off?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I would have to defer that question to Magic Dave at MOTU, or to Native Instruments support.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Logically, it shouldn't make any difference because, as Shooshie said, each instance of the VI will be restricted to a single core either way.

I still say, "Ignore it"... unless or until you run into problems.