Is there a setup for wiper position after playback

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is there a setup for wiper position after playback

Post by rockman413 »

Is there a setup for wiper position after playback: ethier stops at where it stops, or return to its start position?
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Is there a setup for wiper position after playback

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Read the damn manual.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

More specifically, look at the transport section of the manual that talks about Auto Rewind, Auto Stop, Memory Cycle, Link Playback to Memory, etc.

Honestly, the manual is very well written, even if your English isn't great. And it is DEFINITELY better than how we would explain it here.

For those times when you can't find what you are looking for in the manual, we can point you in the right direction.

You are asking lots of good & valid questions, and have "hit the ground running". Soon you'll be answering questions and not asking them. We need some more power users in the Windows section.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kdm »

stubbsonic wrote: We need some more power users in the Windows section.
We need more DP users in the Windows section for it to be constructive. There simply aren't enough of us to cover the different general DP use cases - that's why we end up posting here.

If it isn't specifically OS related, and even if key commands vary, to me it would seem more productive to discuss DP use and troubleshooting in one location - split by OS only when a problem is OS-related. Just my opinion though - my apologies if Win users aren't supposed to be posting in the Mac section at all, but that's where 90% of the DP users are reading. I'm trying to follow both and the Win troubleshooting forum, in as much as I can.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

rockman413 wrote:Is there a setup for wiper position after playback: ethier stops at where it stops, or return to its start position?
It's possible to set things up so that you can:
• click somewhere and play from that point
• select a range and auto-play the selected range only
• select a range and set another range in memory so that two different keyboard commands will play the two ranges in A/B fashion for comparison
• set DP for auto stop
• set DP for auto rewind
• play selected range in selected tracks (as opposed to selected range over entire sequence)
• play the entire list of chunks continuously with small pause between each chunk
• play a chunk, then cue up next chunk after stopping.

and probably much more. I once made a video describing it all, but it was over 15 minutes long, so I never posted it. I posted a 2 minute version, but I'd cut so much out that it didn't make a lot of sense. Never got back to doing individual videos. It's just not my thing, I guess. Likewise a comprehensive post describing all this would be like writing a chapter in the manual.

So... read the manual. Read the COMMANDS window. You'll figure out how to do all the above.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:
rockman413 wrote:Is there a setup for wiper position after playback: ethier stops at where it stops, or return to its start position?
It's possible to set things up so that you can:
• click somewhere and play from that point
• select a range and auto-play the selected range only
• select a range and set another range in memory so that two different keyboard commands will play the two ranges in A/B fashion for comparison
• set DP for auto stop
• set DP for auto rewind
• play selected range in selected tracks (as opposed to selected range over entire sequence)
• play the entire list of chunks continuously with small pause between each chunk
• play a chunk, then cue up next chunk after stopping.

and probably much more. I once made a video describing it all, but it was over 15 minutes long, so I never posted it. I posted a 2 minute version, but I'd cut so much out that it didn't make a lot of sense. Never got back to doing individual videos. It's just not my thing, I guess. Likewise a comprehensive post describing all this would be like writing a chapter in the manual.

So... read the manual. Read the COMMANDS window. You'll figure out how to do all the above.

Shooshie
Thanks for the detailed explain. I thought that there's a on/off switch for the wiper to return to the start position after playback , or simply stops at where the playback stops, as there's such switch in Pro Tools. So now I guess DP works differently and there's no such switch to control it.
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

rockman413 wrote:Thanks for the detailed explain. I thought that there's a on/off switch for the wiper to return to the start position after playback , or simply stops at where the playback stops, as there's such switch in Pro Tools. So now I guess DP works differently and there's no such switch to control it.
Careful what you assume. The controls are all in the Control Panel. Look it up!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kdm

Post by kdm »

rockman413 wrote: Thanks for the detailed explain. I thought that there's a on/off switch for the wiper to return to the start position after playback , or simply stops at where the playback stops, as there's such switch in Pro Tools. So now I guess DP works differently and there's no such switch to control it.
Memory Rewind is what you want. As Shooshie pointed out, it's in the control panel, far left button in the Memory transport section. On Win, it's Num-8 to turn on/off. That sets rewind to the Memory locator (in the ruler). You can then move the Memory start location wherever and rewind will rewind there. When stopped, Num-1 will send to you bar 1, then use "Set Memory Start to Counter" (F1). Now playback will return to bar 1 when stopped. Num 8 to not return. It's different than ProTools, Nuendo, etc, but once you combine that with step by bar, the .-number bar locate and other Memory set commands, it's faster and more efficient.

Search for "memory" in the Commands list and play around - that will give you a lot to work with.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

kdm wrote: Search for "memory" in the Commands list and play around - that will give you a lot to work with.
Things like this are why saying :rtfmmad: doesn't work so well with DP.

No other software refers to this concept as 'memory'. If you're new to DP, then there's no way that you'd know to look up that term unless you'd first read the entire manual.

I think being required to read the whole (large) manual before embarking on using the software is a ridiculous requirement. There are just so many things about DP that are confusing to new users simply because MOTU choose, and stick with, non-standard names for various concepts.
kdm

Post by kdm »

Robert Randolph wrote: Things like this are why saying :rtfmmad: doesn't work so well with DP.

No other software refers to this concept as 'memory'. If you're new to DP, then there's no way that you'd know to look up that term unless you'd first read the entire manual.

I think being required to read the whole (large) manual before embarking on using the software is a ridiculous requirement. There are just so many things about DP that are confusing to new users simply because MOTU choose, and stick with, non-standard names for various concepts.
I completely agree Robert. I'm a former programmer/developer, and have been in music production since Cakewalk 3.0 (then Logic 4, Paris, etc) days, so I had an idea of how to sort through various options for terminology to find what I wanted. Most users don't have the luxury (burden? lol) of knowing how programmers might think when searching for features.

I read through parts of the manual, but there is no way I had time to read all of it before I had to put DP into daily use. And as extensive as the manual is, it doesn't cover everything. About half of what I wanted to figure out wasn't in the manual, and required setting up temporary commands and quite a bit of trial and error.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There's a point at which people are simply required to put in the effort. I draw the line with basic stuff, unless it's just an occasional innocent request, easily answered. I try to help with the more complicated stuff, but I also try to let others answer as many questions as possible, so generally I wait a while before answering. Memory, however, is a basic thing. If you look at the diagrams in the manual, you become acquainted with memory almost instantly. What else could "Memory Rewind" mean?

At some point you have to put in the work. I completely disagree with your assessment here.

Shooshie

PS: Count the posts I've made to help Rockman. (with no regrets, by the way. I'm perfectly willing) Have I required him to read the manual before now? "Require" is a nebulous term. It sounds as though someone else is being a schoolmarm and making someone do unnecessary homework. IN fact, it's the job itself that's requiring it. How many questions can you ask of your peers before they really are going into overtime just answering them?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

kdm wrote:I read through parts of the manual, but there is no way I had time to read all of it before I had to put DP into daily use. And as extensive as the manual is, it doesn't cover everything. About half of what I wanted to figure out wasn't in the manual, and required setting up temporary commands and quite a bit of trial and error.
There is a table of contents, a synopsis of each chapter heading and subheading, and a table of contents. There are also enough pictures that just thumbing through it often gets you where you need to go. The manual is your friend. Also, you won't know what the manual does and doesn't cover until you scan the whole thing. You don't have to read every word. Scanning suffices until you come across something you know you need to focus on.

Talk about a lousy manual, Logic's manual is huge, and I found it extremely difficult to master, but I did. There is no easy way. You must read the damn manuals! Sure, play around with the software, but when you run into challenges, READ THE ••••ing MANUAL. It's just a necessary bit of work that we have to do as DAW engineers. Imagine that you are going into the electrical field. Would you think of doing that before reading the manuals? This isn't as dangerous, but it's as difficult to master.

Shooshie
kdm

Post by kdm »

Shooshie wrote:
kdm wrote:I read through parts of the manual, but there is no way I had time to read all of it before I had to put DP into daily use. And as extensive as the manual is, it doesn't cover everything. About half of what I wanted to figure out wasn't in the manual, and required setting up temporary commands and quite a bit of trial and error.
There is a table of contents, a synopsis of each chapter heading and subheading, and a table of contents. There are also enough pictures that just thumbing through it often gets you where you need to go. The manual is your friend.

Talk about a lousy manual, Logic's manual is huge, and I found it extremely difficult to master, but I did. There is no easy way. You must read the damn manuals! Sure, play around with the software, but when you run into challenges, READ THE ••••ing MANUAL.

Shooshie
Yes, that's exactly how I used the manual to find what I needed, but it still doesn't cover everything. To say I didn't read all of it implies not every word, but I did read about 80% of it, page by page. The parts I skipped, I simply don't need at the moment. Being a former programmer I can also intuitively figure out most any program without reading a manual (which generally only tells me what I've already figured out from key commands lists, menus, and just diving into the application). Most people don't have that background to draw from.

To extend what we are saying, if RTFM is too often the default answer, there comes a point where a DAW forum really aren't of any use to new, or even experienced users. I learned pretty much everything I needed about DP on my own, with the manual, trial and error and other online resources and users outside of this forum.

I mean no offense to this forum in any way - there is some good info here, but the truth is, there really isn't much point in telling people to go away and read the manual. People come here because a DAW forum is typically an easier venue for discussing the DAW and it's use. Asking a user in other circles typically yields more daily use information than a manual or trial and error can provide - such as workflow efficiency, combining features to accomplish larger tasks, etc.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

kdm wrote:
Shooshie wrote:
There is a table of contents, a synopsis of each chapter heading and subheading, and a table of contents. There are also enough pictures that just thumbing through it often gets you where you need to go. The manual is your friend.

Talk about a lousy manual, Logic's manual is huge, and I found it extremely difficult to master, but I did. There is no easy way. You must read the damn manuals! Sure, play around with the software, but when you run into challenges, READ THE ••••ing MANUAL.

Shooshie
Yes, that's exactly how I used the manual to find what I needed, but it still doesn't cover everything. To say I didn't read all of it implies not every word, but I did read about 80% of it, page by page. The parts I skipped, I simply don't need at the moment. Being a former programmer I can also intuitively figure out most any program without reading a manual (which generally only tells me what I've already figured out from key commands lists, menus, and just diving into the application). Most people don't have that background to draw from.

To extend what we are saying, if RTFM is too often the default answer, there comes a point where a DAW forum really aren't of any use to new, or even experienced users. I learned pretty much everything I needed about DP on my own, with the manual, trial and error and other online resources and users outside of this forum.

I mean no offense to this forum in any way - there is some good info here, but the truth is, there really isn't much point in telling people to go away and read the manual. People come here because a DAW forum is typically an easier venue for discussing the DAW and it's use. Asking a user in other circles typically yields more daily use information than a manual or trial and error can provide - such as workflow efficiency, combining features to accomplish larger tasks, etc.
Again... count my posts in aid to Rockman. I'm perfectly willing to help. I just have to draw the line somewhere. BTW, I've got to get to work. My artist is here, and it's time to record. THAT, as much as anything, is reason enough for Rockman to read the manual for now.

Shoosh
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The reason I suggested he read the manual is that his ???s are very basic. There is a learning curve to any software. I can't take that curve for him/her.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS