Is there a setup for wiper position after playback

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is there a setup for wiper position after playback

Post by Killahurts »

Shooshie wrote:So that's how you use the Tracks Overview window. It's a tool, and it serves a lot of purposes. If it zoomed smoothly in and out like the Edit windows, it would not work as it is intended to work. If you want the kind of zooming you get in the Sequence Editor, use the Sequence Editor. It takes a long time to fully learn and appreciate the Tracks Overview window. It's not what most people think it is. It has no comparable window in any other DAW that I know of, but is unique to DP. Most people get frustrated with it when switching to DP, because it isn't what they expect it to be. That's their failure to learn what it is, what it does and how it works.

When you DO learn how to use it, it's one of the most amazing tools in DP.

Shooshie
This is sage right here. When I try other DAWs out, the lack of TO is why I can never be happy with them. I think sometimes the new guys to DP think it's a crippled version of the SE. I'll see them post a question of how to do some complicated thing in the SE, that could be done easily and quickly in the TO. Or in this thread's case, expecting the TO to behave like the SE. If these folks stay with it long enough to learn how to truly integrate these two windows, the light bulb turns on over their heads, and suddenly they're zipping around town in a Ferrari.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Killahurts wrote:Man this is GREAT! I am going to print this out myself! :D never can remember those tool commands.. I really like the western "saloon" look too!
Cool! I have several of these "cheat sheets." One's for Step Record, one is for window color sets, and I used to use one for Window Sets before I started using Spaces. And there may be another one or two. I can't remember all those commands, all the time. Used to, but not so much anymore.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:
rockman413 wrote: By the way, that tap twice to switch between tool thing is unnecessary~:)
It depends on what you want to do. If you want to SWITCH to the tool, two taps is how you do it. If you only want to temporarily toggle to that tool until you release the key, then press and hold.

Two taps changes to the tool and stays there.
One tap does not stay, but only toggles it temporarily.

Try it and you'll see.

Shooshie
I'm sorry, my original meaning is posting out the two tap thing is unnecessary...
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:First of all, you did not specify the Tracks Overview Window in your first post:
Because you replyed about zoom, I suppose you're answering my other post questions, and I did metion the tracks overview:
Here's my OP:
"Hi ,
Is there a way we can zoom in to the wiper, not zoom in to what we selectd in the track overview?

Thanks!"
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:First of all, you did not specify the Tracks Overview Window in your first post:
rockman413 wrote:Is there a setup for wiper position after playback: ethier stops at where it stops, or return to its start position?
Nor did you specify that in your title. The post I was actually responding to is the one above:
rockman413 wrote:if you looked at my questions carefully enough, you'll know I've read the manual before, like to zoom in and out using wiper, I mean not drag the wiper, but to use tools to zoom in and out centered by wiper.
But since you are now telling us that this is only about the Tracks Overview window, allow me to explain a little about how it works. It's not what you think it is. It's not Logic's "Arrange Window." Yet you can use it to manipulate songs on a macro-scale very quickly and easily. The key is knowing what's in a cell.

And that is why:
In the Tracks Overview, you zoom in by increments of double or half. There is purpose to this. In a 4/4 bar, zooming in once will make the cells represent HALF bars or half notes. Zoom in again, and they represent Quarter notes, then 8th notes, and so on.

This is so that when you move a cell, you know what it contains. You can do a lot of rearranging of rhythms and beats without even really looking at the data. In fact, the original tracks overview did not show data; just colored cells to indicate that data was present. That's why many of us became so adept at using that window. You had to learn it "blind." Now we can see the data and use a double-rule for parsing it. (When data is longer than X, break it into segments of Y length.)

So that's how you use the Tracks Overview window. It's a tool, and it serves a lot of purposes. If it zoomed smoothly in and out like the Edit windows, it would not work as it is intended to work. If you want the kind of zooming you get in the Sequence Editor, use the Sequence Editor. It takes a long time to fully learn and appreciate the Tracks Overview window. It's not what most people think it is. It has no comparable window in any other DAW that I know of, but is unique to DP. Most people get frustrated with it when switching to DP, because it isn't what they expect it to be. That's their failure to learn what it is, what it does and how it works.

When you DO learn how to use it, it's one of the most amazing tools in DP.

Shooshie
Got it. Actually the user kdm said similar eariler, and I do mention the track overview in the OP, how about let's read more manual and read people's questions more carefully(some questions may be easily understanding to a common asked question) as the end of this debate of this post?
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

By the way Shooshie, no matter how uncarefully reading other people's posts , I think good people will always be greatful for good-faith even uncareful. So, thank you! :D
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

rockman413 wrote:By the way Shooshie, no matter how uncarefully reading other people's posts , I think good people will always be greatful for good-faith even uncareful. So, thank you! :D
I read your post carefully, Rockman. I quoted the post to which I responded. I was not responding to another thread. I was responding to your post above in THIS thread, which I quoted for you.

You did not mention the Tracks Overview Window anywhere in this thread until you complained that I got it wrong. You've posted dozens of threads; it's not my job to keep track of them all. I merely responded to your post above, in which you said:
rockman413 wrote:if you looked at my questions carefully enough, you'll know I've read the manual before, like to zoom in and out using wiper, I mean not drag the wiper, but to use tools to zoom in and out centered by wiper.
That's an exact quote. Nowhere do you mention in that post — or any of the previous posts in this thread — that you were referring to the Tracks window. After I copied the manual for you, you changed it to the Tracks Window.

So, I explained the Tracks Window for you. I hope you understood what I said about double and half zoom in the Tracks Window, because that's how it works, and because it's for a good reason.

If you want continuous zooms around the wiper, you'll need to use the Sequence Editor, MIDI Editor, Notation Editor or Drum Edit Window. The Tracks Window is a whole different thing. Double or half. Try to understand the reason for it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Also, the commands for zooming in and out in the Tracks Overview Window are:
COMMAND-Right Arrow = Zoom In (Cell halves in length)
COMMAND-Left Arrow = Zoom Out (Cell doubles in length)

To advance to the next "page" in the window, substitute the Control Key with those arrows (or it may be some other key; I may have customized mine)

You can also move tracks up and down, or bring selected tracks together using commands, or move selected cells to top or bottom of list. I'll let you find those. You can change selection to another track from the keyboard, as well. There are all kinds of things you can do from the keyboard.

Shoosh
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Shooshie wrote:
Killahurts wrote:Man this is GREAT! I am going to print this out myself! :D never can remember those tool commands.. I really like the western "saloon" look too!
Cool! I have several of these "cheat sheets." One's for Step Record, one is for window color sets, and I used to use one for Window Sets before I started using Spaces. And there may be another one or two. I can't remember all those commands, all the time. Used to, but not so much anymore.

Shooshie
So.. uh.. could you post the one for step record? I know, I'm lazy, but you HAVE done all the work already :wink:

In the commands window, the step record commands are spelled out, like 32nd note, etc. I'm hoping your cheat sheet has the actual note values, like they are in the step record window.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Killahurts wrote:So.. uh.. could you post the one for step record? I know, I'm lazy, but you HAVE done all the work already :wink:

In the commands window, the step record commands are spelled out, like 32nd note, etc. I'm hoping your cheat sheet has the actual note values, like they are in the step record window.
No such luck. The note values are spelled out.

Click on it to open the actual PDF file at full resolution:
Shooshie
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Cripes.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Shooshie wrote:
Killahurts wrote:So.. uh.. could you post the one for step record? I know, I'm lazy, but you HAVE done all the work already :wink:

No such luck. The note values are spelled out.
Hey that's ok, I'll take it! Thanks Shoosh! :)
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:
rockman413 wrote:By the way Shooshie, no matter how uncarefully reading other people's posts , I think good people will always be greatful for good-faith even uncareful. So, thank you! :D
I read your post carefully, Rockman. I quoted the post to which I responded. I was not responding to another thread. I was responding to your post above in THIS thread, which I quoted for you.

You did not mention the Tracks Overview Window anywhere in this thread until you complained that I got it wrong. You've posted dozens of threads; it's not my job to keep track of them all. I merely responded to your post above, in which you said:
That's an exact quote. Nowhere do you mention in that post — or any of the previous posts in this thread — that you were referring to the Tracks window. After I copied the manual for you, you changed it to the Tracks Window.

So, I explained the Tracks Window for you. I hope you understood what I said about double and half zoom in the Tracks Window, because that's how it works, and because it's for a good reason.

If you want continuous zooms around the wiper, you'll need to use the Sequence Editor, MIDI Editor, Notation Editor or Drum Edit Window. The Tracks Window is a whole different thing. Double or half. Try to understand the reason for it.

Shooshie
Please take a look at my original post about the zoom wiper question, to see if I mentioned track overview:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=60744

Don't get me wrong, thanks for your answers any way:)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

rockman413 wrote:Please take a look at my original post about the zoom wiper question, to see if I mentioned track overview:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=60744

Don't get me wrong, thanks for your answers any way:)
Dude, that's another thread. I responded to your post in this thread. Period. I can't read your mind and know that you posted elsewhere. I respond to what I see here, one thread, one post at a time . That's just how it works. When you post, it's not my job to research all that you've written in the past two weeks (or two days, two hours, or two years), and omnisciently surmise that you actually meant something other than what you wrote.

Your point is that I should be more careful when responding to your questions. Do you see how that doesn't apply here? Do you really want to kick me for responding to you? Extra Sensory Perception and comprehensive knowledge of everything you have posted are not covered under "read more carefully." Just accept that you didn't specify "Tracks Overview" anywhere in this thread until after I had answered you, and quit pretending otherwise.

I'm not sure why you're doing this. You've received more help than any individual in recent memory. But to come back and slap the helper with "you should read more carefully" is extremely rude and ill-mannered.

I think that does it for me. A simple "thank you" would have been nice. But to get caught up in the mind-games of lazy idiots who send you on fools' errands just makes me the fool. No regrets for posting answers, because lots of people may benefit from those same answers, but that will be the last question I answer for Rockman.

Shooshie
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Fool me once...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here