Is there a setup for wiper position after playback

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is there a setup for wiper position after playback

Post by Shooshie »

kdm wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: So if you want to help some lazy bones who can find the answer(s) for themselves but won't, have at it. I will continue to spread the word that there's a damn manual and just f$%^ing read it!

:rtfm:
Re-read my post. I already said I don't answer lazy questions. And I won't spend any more time making this point any clearer other than to say that if a forum just tells people to RTFM, no one will bother posting. As I alluded to earlier, I learned pretty much everything I wanted to know about DP on my own, and almost nothing from this forum. Sorry to be blunt, but it isn't exactly the most receptive, inviting DAW forum. On the contrary, it is probably the least in my many years of experience.
Jesus Christ, dude! Since it happens to be Rockman that we're talking about, I invite you to look at his posts:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/search. ... r_id=57447

66 posts in 16 days. The majority of them were questions, mostly basic questions. I happily and willingly provided input in the majority of his threads. After 66 posts in 16 days, mostly basic, I finally decided that he's not getting the benefit of learning from the manual — which provides far and away more information than you can glean from asking simple questions in a forum — so I suggest that he reads the manual. In fact, I insist on one or two questions, because you can just learn so much more from it, and because it would take me hours to type up that much info. I even gave him an outline of what to look for.

Is that "a forum [that] just tells people to RTFM?"

I don't think so.

it isn't exactly the most receptive, inviting DAW forum. On the contrary, it is probably the least in my many years of experience.
I'd like to see all those other forums you've been to that answer 66 questions from one person in 16 days. Ok, technically I probably only answered 65 of them. The others I provided outlines and told him he'd get much more out of the manual than I could give him. What do these other forums do? Come to your house and bring pizza and beer? Hold your hand and move your mouse for you? How can you be MORE helpful than we've been?

When someone finally says "you really ought to read the manual," after 66 questions in 16 days, you have the nerve to tell us that we're no good? What kind of fresh hell is that? Do you have any idea how much time I've put into helping Rockman get off the ground? No regrets there. I was HAPPY to do that. I love helping people. But on a couple of occasions when I said he would be better off reading the manual, I was telling the freaking truth! He'd get WAY more out of it, for I could not type up all the things that he needed to know, even though it looked like a simple question from the outside. If he doesn't know the answer to that question, there's a ton of stuff he doesn't know, and he needs to read the chapter about it in the manual where he will come away with a ton of new knowledge that will help him way more than I can.

But you interpret that as a lousy forum that only tells people to RTFM?

Man, I'm a person who is VERY, VERY hard to piss off, but you've just done that. Don't let the backdoor hit you on the way out. KDM, if you ever want another answer from me, I expect an apology first.

Rockman, on the other hand, can continue asking questions all he wants, but I DO expect him to read some chapters in the manual. It's just better that way. Really. It makes my efforts go a lot further, and I think I speak for everyone when I say that. I'm not angry with Rockman and never have been. He just needs to know that he's selling himself short when he doesn't start with the basics in the manual. I'm always willing to help someone who is willing to help him/herself.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kdm »

ShooshieMan wrote: I'm a person who is VERY, VERY hard to piss off, but you've just done that. Don't let the backdoor hit you on the way out. KDM, if you ever want another answer from me, I expect an apology first.
Wow. That was uncalled for. I was offering an honest observation as a new attender here, not insulting or berating anyone, but you just proved my point, in spades. Yes, I'm done here. Good luck guys.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

kdm wrote:
ShooshieMan wrote: I'm a person who is VERY, VERY hard to piss off, but you've just done that. Don't let the backdoor hit you on the way out. KDM, if you ever want another answer from me, I expect an apology first.
Wow. That was uncalled for. I was offering an honest observation as a new attender here, not insulting or berating anyone, but you just proved my point, in spades. Yes, I'm done here. Good luck guys.
••••ing troll revealed.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well some good came out of all this. :) Great post, Shooshie. I also took the multiple posts of basic concepts into consideration before pulling the RTFM card. I don't blame the o/p for asking. It's how you learn. Now he knows.

As for the negative comments by our former member, it says more about his observational skills (or lack thereof).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

1. Getting Started Manual
2. The DP Tip Sheet
3. Shooshie = DP Sensei
4. Motunation = Dojo
5. Don't get whacked by Sensei's Kendo Sword.
6. Enjoy Enlightenment.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

cuttime wrote:1. Getting Started Manual
2. The DP Tip Sheet
3. Shooshie = DP Sensei
4. Motunation = Dojo
5. Don't get whacked by Sensei's Kendo Sword.
6. Enjoy Enlightenment.
Brilliant! :dance: :brucelee:

Wait, who started that TIP SHEET again... :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Wait, who started that TIP SHEET again... :)
CO Sensei, NOT Adjunct.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

guys, before posting the OP, I've read the manual, in fact everytime I have a question I click help and click the manual.I found a lot of useful things in the m, but for this I didn't found the way I want, until kdm points out that "it's different from Pro Tools, Cubase,etc." My original question is to see if I can achieve that without memory location. So nobody's wrong, and there's no reason to debate, we all see things thru a different perspectives, because we are different people. I posted some questions, but if you looked at my questions carefully enough, you'll know I've read the manual before, like to zoom in and out using wiper, I mean not drag the wiper, but to use tools to zoom in and out centered by wiper. Maybe there's always a solution in the manual, but sometimes we can't expect people to be perfect at understanding all the manual. May I delete this post if you guys keep debating with each other?
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Please don't, rockman.

Context and perspective; there's nothing to hide here.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

rockman413 wrote:guys, before posting the OP, I've read the manual, in fact everytime I have a question I click help and click the manual.I found a lot of useful things in the m, but for this I didn't found the way I want, until kdm points out that "it's different from Pro Tools, Cubase,etc." My original question is to see if I can achieve that without memory location. So nobody's wrong, and there's no reason to debate, we all see things thru a different perspectives, because we are different people. I posted some questions, but if you looked at my questions carefully enough, you'll know I've read the manual before, like to zoom in and out using wiper, I mean not drag the wiper, but to use tools to zoom in and out centered by wiper. Maybe there's always a solution in the manual, but sometimes we can't expect people to be perfect at understanding all the manual. May I delete this post if you guys keep debating with each other?
I'm going to show you the manual. Literally show you.
So that you won't have to look it up, find the page, and all that, I have — especially for you — copied the pertinent section from the manual and highlighted that which is most appropriate for your question by coloring it red.

First the index:

Here is the INDEX of the DP 9 manual on the Zoom entry:
(I have bold-faced the ones you need)
  • Zoom 339, 359
    • back/forward 296
      Edit windows 295–297
      in/out 296
      MIDI Editor 387
      mini-menu shortcuts 296, 369, 407 Notation Editor 428
      Pitch ruler 373
      playback wiper 208
      Sequence Editor 334
      settings 296
      shortcuts 314
      to selection 296
      tool 297, 314
      Tracks window 164

The following section is directly from the DP9 manual, formatted for this forum.

ZOOMING
  • Zooming in the edit windows is similar to the zooming found in most computer graphics programs. When zooming in, objects become larger as the display magnifies a portion of the screen. When zooming out, objects shrink as the display encompasses a larger region.

There are many ways to zoom the edit windows, as explained in the following sections. Individual windows may also have additional zoom abilities; refer to the chapters on each window for more details.
Zoom buttons
  • The Time zoom buttons appear in the bottom right corner of the window. Zooming out ( - ) gives you an overview by compressing more time into the window; zooming in ( + ) focuses on a shorter period of time at a higher viewing resolution.

Some windows, such as the Sequence Editor, also have vertical zoom buttons to increase the height of the data you’re viewing.
Zooming quickly by pressing
  • If you press continuously on a zoom button, the display will zoom continuously until you release the mouse.
Wiper zooming
  • In many windows that display the playback wiper, you can very quickly and conveniently zoom in and out by Control/Win-dragging vertically on the green playback wiper handle. For details, see “Zooming with the wiper” on page 208.
Keyboard zooming shortcuts
  • Below are several keyboard shortcuts for zooming. In addition, all of the zooming shortcuts discussed in the next section (“Mini-menu zoom shortcuts”) have keyboard shortcuts, which are available in the Commands window (see chapter 8,“Commands” (page 93).
[ROCKMAN: Here's the MINI Menu Section in color:]
Mini-menu zoom shortcuts
  • The Zoom mini-menu item provides many useful options for magnifying or reducing the data displayed in graphic editors. Digital Performer offers completely unlimited zooming between the minimum and maximum horizontal zoom levels.

Zoom in/out
  • Zooming in (either vertically or horizontally) enlarges the data; zooming out reduces it.

Zoom to selection
  • Zoom to Selection fits the current selection to the left and right edges of the window.

Zoom Back and Zoom Forward
  • As discussed in “Zoom history and Zoom Forward/Backward” on page 297, the Zoom Back and Zoom Forward commands keep track of every zoom operation that you do since you first opened the graphic editor. Therefore, they allow you to step backwards and forwards through all of the different scrolling and zooming actions you’ve taken. Just keep choosing them over and over to work your way backwards or forwards.

Working with the zoom settings
  • The zoom settings let you store favorite zoom settings and easily restore them by choosing them from the menu (or pressing their key binding). To store a zoom setting:
    1. Zoom the display the way you want.
    2. Choose the desired Set Zoom Setting command in the menu.
    To restore the zoom setting, choose the desired Zoom to Setting command.

Mini-menu zoom shortcuts
  • The Zoom mini-menu item provides many useful options for magnifying or reducing the data displayed in graphic editors. Digital Performer offers completely unlimited zooming between the minimum and maximum horizontal zoom levels.

Switching among 2 or 3 zoom settings
  • The zoom settings commands discussed above are ideal for zooming among several different zoom settings. For example, you might want to switch back and forth between the sample level and an overview level to consecutively make small sample edits and then audition them.

[There. That's the section that specifically answers your question. Consider this a proof of concept, namely that the manual really does contain the answers. Start with the Index or Table of Contents. Find the pages. Read them.]

Zoom tool
  • The Zoom tool (magnifying glass) in the Tool palette lets you zoom in on a portion of the edit window by dragging a zoom box over it. In the time ruler or continuous data grid, drag horizontally to zoom the time axis only.
See “Zoom tool shortcuts” on page 314 for many Zoom tool shortcuts.
Zoom history and Zoom Forward/Backward
  • Digital Performer remembers consecutive zoom operations in a window. For example, if you zoom in three times consecutively to get a closer look at some data, Digital Performer remembers each zoom setting.You can then use Zoom Backward and Zoom Forward shortcuts to move forwards and backwards through these remembered zoom settings.
Zooming, Edit Resolution and nudging
  • Editing is allowed at any zoom setting. However, the current zoom level may affect the resolution at which events can be edited by dragging. For example, let’s say that the Edit Resolution unit is set to 20 ticks. If you zoom way out, you will not be able to drag a note by only 20 ticks because one screen pixel, which is the smallest unit of movement on the computer screen, will equal a time value greater than 20 ticks. So, even if you move the note as little as possible, you will still have moved it more than 20 ticks.

In the example above, Digital Performer handles the situation by constraining location to multiples of 20 ticks. When you move the note, its new location will become the nearest multiple of 20 ticks, such as 80, 140, or 420 ticks.

If you need more precision, zoom in. Or, you can nudge data in precise increments at any zoom level use the arrow keys and the Nudge Amount window. See “Nudge” on page 319.
Page 314:
ZOOM TOOL
  • The Zoom tool (magnifying glass) in the Tool palette lets you zoom in on a portion of a graphic editor by dragging a zoom box over it. Click to zoom in and Option/Alt-click to zoom out. In the time ruler or continuous data grid, drag horizontally to zoom the time axis only.
Zoom tool shortcuts
  • Here are some zooming shortcuts:
— End of quote from Manual —

There is more on page 369 and 405, according to the Index which I pasted in above. There are also sections on Scrolling or Auto-Scroll, which keep your windows synchronized with the wiper. I will let you find those. Consider this exercise a sort of "proof of concept," to show that the manual really does contain the answers. You will see that the part which I colored, above, refers to zoom commands that you set up in the DP Mini-Menu, then you can go to the zoom levels using the keyboard commands listed in the menu. I haven't tried to do so, but you can probably change those commands in the COMMANDS Window.

There. That's a lot of information. It took a lot of time to find it, copy it, paste it, put the graphics in my DropBox and provide links to them, then format the text for this forum. I have probably spent about an hour on this post, just to make a point. Would you do me the courtesy of reading the section I've provided?

Thank you.

Shooshie

PS: I've put a lot of work into this thread. I don't think you CAN delete it (James would have to do that), but let's not even go there. Leave it up. It serves a very important purpose at this point.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

One more:

Just so you won't have to search the manual for the keys to press in order to select the tools in the ToolBar (including the Zoom Tool), here is a cheat sheet. Print it out on photo-stock paper, and cut to size for a little reference that can stand up on your desk if you provide a little stand for it.
To Show/Hide the Toolbar, tap the ~ key.
Just in case there is any uncertainty, that you may not be sure of how that works, if you want the Zoom Tool, you would hold down the Z key. When you release the Z key, it will go back to the previous tool you were using (usually the pointer).

If you want to completely switch to the Zoom Tool, tap the Z key twice.

To return to any other tool, tap THAT key's code twice.

I hope this thoroughly illuminates the usage of the Zoom Tool (and other tools in the ToolBar)

Shooshie
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie, thank you anyway for trying to help here.

I read word by word what you posted, and I try it in DP and realized that it still could not solve my question.

Here's my OP:
"Hi ,
Is there a way we can zoom in to the wiper, not zoom in to what we selectd in the track overview?

Thanks!"

In the manual , it clearly says all the zoom settings are in seq overview, while I want to do it in track overiew. Furthur more, seq overview always zoom into the wiper, my question is zoom according to the wiper, not zoom into what we selected.

Thanks anyway for the hard work, we can never read enough. By the way, that tap twice to switch between tool thing is unnecessary~:)
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

First of all, you did not specify the Tracks Overview Window in your first post:
rockman413 wrote:Is there a setup for wiper position after playback: ethier stops at where it stops, or return to its start position?
Nor did you specify that in your title. The post I was actually responding to is the one above:
rockman413 wrote:if you looked at my questions carefully enough, you'll know I've read the manual before, like to zoom in and out using wiper, I mean not drag the wiper, but to use tools to zoom in and out centered by wiper.
But since you are now telling us that this is only about the Tracks Overview window, allow me to explain a little about how it works. It's not what you think it is. It's not Logic's "Arrange Window." Yet you can use it to manipulate songs on a macro-scale very quickly and easily. The key is knowing what's in a cell.

And that is why:
In the Tracks Overview, you zoom in by increments of double or half. There is purpose to this. In a 4/4 bar, zooming in once will make the cells represent HALF bars or half notes. Zoom in again, and they represent Quarter notes, then 8th notes, and so on.

This is so that when you move a cell, you know what it contains. You can do a lot of rearranging of rhythms and beats without even really looking at the data. In fact, the original tracks overview did not show data; just colored cells to indicate that data was present. That's why many of us became so adept at using that window. You had to learn it "blind." Now we can see the data and use a double-rule for parsing it. (When data is longer than X, break it into segments of Y length.)

So that's how you use the Tracks Overview window. It's a tool, and it serves a lot of purposes. If it zoomed smoothly in and out like the Edit windows, it would not work as it is intended to work. If you want the kind of zooming you get in the Sequence Editor, use the Sequence Editor. It takes a long time to fully learn and appreciate the Tracks Overview window. It's not what most people think it is. It has no comparable window in any other DAW that I know of, but is unique to DP. Most people get frustrated with it when switching to DP, because it isn't what they expect it to be. That's their failure to learn what it is, what it does and how it works.

When you DO learn how to use it, it's one of the most amazing tools in DP.

Shooshie
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Shooshie wrote:One more:

Just so you won't have to search the manual for the keys to press in order to select the tools in the ToolBar (including the Zoom Tool), here is a cheat sheet. Print it out on photo-stock paper, and cut to size for a little reference that can stand up on your desk if you provide a little stand for it.
To Show/Hide the Toolbar, tap the ~ key.
Just in case there is any uncertainty, that you may not be sure of how that works, if you want the Zoom Tool, you would hold down the Z key. When you release the Z key, it will go back to the previous tool you were using (usually the pointer).

If you want to completely switch to the Zoom Tool, tap the Z key twice.

To return to any other tool, tap THAT key's code twice.

I hope this thoroughly illuminates the usage of the Zoom Tool (and other tools in the ToolBar)

Shooshie
Man this is GREAT! I am going to print this out myself! :D never can remember those tool commands.. I really like the western "saloon" look too!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

rockman413 wrote: By the way, that tap twice to switch between tool thing is unnecessary~:)
It depends on what you want to do. If you want to SWITCH to the tool, two taps is how you do it. If you only want to temporarily toggle to that tool until you release the key, then press and hold.

Two taps changes to the tool and stays there.
One tap does not stay, but only toggles it temporarily.

Try it and you'll see.

Shooshie