A way to zoom into the wiper, instaed of selection?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

A way to zoom into the wiper, instaed of selection?

Post by rockman413 »

Hi ,
Is there a way we can zoom in to the wiper, not zoom in to what we selectd in the track overview?

Thanks!
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: A way to zoom into the wiper, instaed of selection?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Click on the wiper icon, hold the control (or maybe it's command) and drag the cursor down or up.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Control click on the wiper head and drag up or down.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

philbrown wrote:Control click on the wiper head and drag up or down.
So I guess there's no way to zoom into wiper USING Shortcut like cmd+left or right?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Have you printed out the COMMANDS windows yet? That's the place to answer most questions like that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:Have you printed out the COMMANDS windows yet? That's the place to answer most questions like that.

Shooshie
I did , but I didn't found anything related to zoom into wiper in that....
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kdm »

That doesn't work here - is there a pref that locks/unlocks the wiper's drag-zoom function?
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

kdm wrote:

That doesn't work here - is there a pref that locks/unlocks the wiper's drag-zoom function?
It works in the Sequence editor (you have to hold down the Control key while dragging) but not in the Tracks Overview.
What Shooshie said- there are ton of zoom functions in the Commands window.
Assign some key bindings you like and zoom every which way.
I mostly use Command Left and Right Arrow, but you can assign specific zoom levels and then access them with a keystroke. It's all in the book and Commands Window.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
kdm

Post by kdm »

philbrown wrote: It works in the Sequence editor (you have to hold down the Control key while dragging) but not in the Tracks Overview.
Thanks - my mistake. I was trying it in the Tracks editor, and it's Win-drag in the Sequence editor here rather than ctrl. Alt-drag to scroll within the window range is interesting, but haven't found a use for that.

I don't use the Sequence editor as much as the Tracks Editor, nor do I use the drag-zoom functions - just testing it in light of this thread. I already have my zoom and navigation commands setup.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

kdm wrote:

Remember that "Control" on the Mac is the bottom-left modifier key. (and bottom right on most full keyboards) I think on Windows it's called the WIN key, or something like that. When trying key commands posted here, you should try various ways, to see if MOTU assigned it differently for Windows.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kdm

Post by kdm »

I think you or perhaps a previous post is are confusing the two keys.

I use a Mac slim keyboard here (and have owned Macs in the past), and "Control" is the lower left and right key for Mac and Windows ("ctrl" abbreviated). The "Command" key (inside left/right of the spacebar) is what is mapped to the Win key on Windows systems. Shift and Alt ("Option") are the same on both.

I actually did try all of the mod-key options (alt-drag is interesting for window-range limited scrolling, but I haven't found a use for it). I always do as I'm used to programming my own mod-key alternate tool assignments in Nuendo.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Guess I had it backward. I always thought that the Mac's COMMAND key is Windows' CONTROL key. Makes sense that Control would be the same key on both.

I've used Windows for very little in my life. I once had a job doing teleprompting with a machine running DOS software, but it was so ridiculously awkward to use that I quit. There was Mac software available at the time which made the job a breeze, but the guy who owned it was a sucker for DOS punishment. He believed that DOS was the greatest OS of all time for business. This was in the late 90s and early 2000s, btw. There was also Windows teleprompting software at the time, but Windows liked to crash a lot, so maybe that's why the guy believed in DOS. That little bit of PC notebook usage was my only real foray into the Windows world, and most of that involved rebooting into DOS. So maybe you can forgive my ignorance about the dominant OS in the world.

Shooshie
kdm

Post by kdm »

No worries Shooshie - it is only a relatively minor discrepancy. I think everyone can figure out what we all mean if we mix up modifiers for the other platform.

I do not miss the DOS days either. Don't blame you for quitting that job.
Last edited by kdm on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

kdm wrote:No worries Shooshie - just minor semantics...
Thank God.

Major semantics really grind my gears.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
kdm

Post by kdm »

monkey man wrote:
kdm wrote:No worries Shooshie - just minor semantics...
Thank God.

Major semantics really grind my gears.
I am relieved to hear that my typo did not unduly grind your gears. I have edited my fragmented comment to remove the unintended redundancy.