MIDI in DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Temple Island
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI in DP9

Post by Temple Island »

Hello all!
This question is from someone just getting into MIDI and in need of some direction...
I have copied and pasted a kick drum into a MIDI track...to try and trigger Superior Drummer...but the kick always lands on a hihat patch...how do I make sure the kick lands on the correct drum?
how do I change this? Is it in the MIDI track or in Superior drummer?

Thanks in advance for your help?
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI in DP9

Post by stubbsonic »

If you open the MIDI graphic editor (highlight the track name, then press shift-g) you'll see a note-list-keyboard-thing down the left side of the main area. You can click on the notes of that keyboard to hear other drum sounds to find the kick note. Zoom out a little so you can see what you need to see. On that keyboard strip, if you double-click on the current note where the hi-hat sound is, you'll see that this double-clicking selected all the notes that are on that specific pitch.

Carefully click/hold on one of the selected notes, then drag to the desired pitch. If you hold down shift while you drag up or down, it will prevent horizontal movement. Now you can drag until you are on the kick drum.

You should read in the manual about the grid snap settings & options.

Ok, one more thing. If you want to hear the VI as you edit, first try putting that track into record, and you can hear the notes as you click & drag. If that doesn't work, or if it is a bother to put it into record; do this: Double-click on the track that is your VI. With the VI window open, find the little mini-menu (which is a tiny triangle in the upper right). In that menu, choose "Run this instance in realtime". That will make all those clicks & drags on notes in the graphic editor make sound.

The manual is a big thick tome, but it is well-written and will help you get the most out of the software (that's my nice way of saying :rtfm:

Welcome aboard.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com