Let's share experience of having Tempo follow what you play

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Let's share experience of having Tempo follow what you play

Post by rockman413 »

Let's share the experience of having conductor track Tempo follow what you have play.

I didn't find any visual tempo follow what you have played tool, all I know is to use change tempo function.But use change tempo destorys my freely play.So I have no clue how to play freely, then make the grid fit the performance.

I got from Logic and Cubase, in Logic there's beat mapping where you can visually drag the grid, in Cubase there's time wrap function where you can visually drag the grid.
How's everybody dealing with tempo follow what you have play?
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
b.g.

Re: Let's share experience of having Tempo follow what you p

Post by b.g. »

To "make the grid fit the performance" use Adjust Beats.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Never tried it. I don't believe any computer can follow what I play.. :(
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Hi,

I posted this a while back, It might help.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=59838

Best,

B
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

rockman413 wrote:Let's share the experience of having conductor track Tempo follow what you have play.

I didn't find any visual tempo follow what you have played tool, all I know is to use change tempo function.But use change tempo destorys my freely play.So I have no clue how to play freely, then make the grid fit the performance.

I got from Logic and Cubase, in Logic there's beat mapping where you can visually drag the grid, in Cubase there's time wrap function where you can visually drag the grid.
How's everybody dealing with tempo follow what you have play?
I've done this in DP and Logic extensively, and DP beats the pants off Logic in this department, at least it did in Logic 8 Studio, which was my last version of Logic. People tell me they may have improved it in Logic 10. This has always been my primary means of working in DP. I first perform a piece of music, fit the beats to the music, then start adding and editing parts.

My first DP tutorial video was about this, but was a long time ago, so the interface you'll see in the movie does not resemble the current DP interface except in general ways.* Sorry if it moves slowly, but when I'm actually working it goes a lot more quickly. I was trying to be clear.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/751 ... tBeats.mov

The purpose of this video was to demonstrate not just Adjust Beats, but to show a little trick I developed for finding the placement of beats where there is no note on the beat. Basically, you do it in the Sequence Editor, with the Conductor Track at the top and the data track directly under it. When you get to notes that you know are off the beat, you know about where the beat is, but the tempo track will show you more exactly where it should be. You'll see in the video. Just keep in mind that THAT is what this is about. In the process, you'll see how to use Adjust Beats.

Shooshie

* The video and audio may not be synchronized, so it may be hard to follow by the end. Stopping, changing location, and restarting the video may help resync it. Sometimes it works perfectly. Just warning you in case the music doesn't sound aligned with the screen.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)