Having playhead/cursor snap to grid under MIDI edit?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Having playhead/cursor snap to grid under MIDI edit?

Post by rockman413 »

Just wondering can we have playhead/cursor snap to grid under MIDI edit and seq edit window? It looks like it's impossible on my machine.
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Having playhead/cursor snap to grid under MIDI edit?

Post by kdm »

There isn't a way to drag/snap the playhead, but I think DP's approach is actually a bit faster once you setup your own ergonomic key commands (I end using the mouse far less navigating in DP than my other DAW):

1 - Check out the Commands for "Go to next measure" and "Go to previous measure". These snap the playhead. I set my own to a single key each for quick navigating back/forward a bar.

2 - Using the numpad, with bars/beats as your primary counter, you can enter "." and then the bar number you wish to jump to - that also snaps. e.g. ".5" will go to measure 5; ".123" will go to 123.

3 - Dive into using the memory commands - "Set memory start to counter", set to selection, etc. With 1 and 2, and a single key command (F1 for me) to "set memory start to counter", I can locate any point in a project, and set my playback start/return point in 2 seconds - much faster than grabbing the mouse and dragging it there.

4 - Use the select options in DP to your advantage - they can either snap to bars by default, or not (ctrl to override).

Put these all together and you can move much faster than using the mouse to locate and snap your location to bars.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Last night I was going to say exactly the same thing as kdm, but I was tired and put it off until today. So... what he said!

I'll add this: when I was doing MIDI for other people, I had to locate where they wanted it, and the faster I got there the smoother things went. I knew where all my break points were, and I knew the numerical equivalent for all subdivisions, whether in duple or triple meter. (1/1/240, 9/1/360, etc.), and just by typing in the number on the keypad, I'd have the cursor located before whoever I was collaborating with could finish humming the place or describing it. It's nearly instantaneous when you've practiced it a bit. Just hit the dot, type the bar, dot, beat, dot, subdivision, enter. Much faster than reading the previous sentence.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

you guys are amazing!
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD